Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-15-2011, 05:27 PM   #1
Banned

We are One April 4 2011

"On April 4, 1968,Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. was assassinated in Memphis, where he had gone to stand with sanitation workers demanding their dream: The right to bargain collectively for a voice at work and a better life. The workers were trying to form a union with AFSCME.

Beginning with worship services over the April 1 weekend, and continuing through the week of April 4, unions, people of faith, civil and human rights activists, students and other progressive allies will host a range of community and workplace-focused actions.

Join us in solidarity with working people in Wisconsin, Ohio, Indiana and dozens of other states where well-funded, right-wing corporate politicians are trying to take away the rights Dr. King gave his life for. Itís a day to show movement. Teach-ins. Vigils. Faith events. A day to be creative, but clear:
We are one. "
We Are One April 4

03-15-2011, 06:11 PM   #2
Veteran Member

I would like to see an exact causal link between the killing of King and his goal of helping to organize the sanitation department. I have never seen anything that directly links these two actions as the absolute cause for the King shooting. I simply ask you to show absolute proof of this causality between the two events before you use his name in this kind of way.
03-15-2011, 06:32 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Well lets see.... Wiki
QuoteQuote:
In March 1968, Dr. King went to Memphis, Tennessee, in support of striking African American sanitation workers. The workers had staged a walkout on February 11, 1968, to protest unequal wages and working conditions. At the time, the city of Memphis paid black workers significantly lower wages than whites. In addition, unlike their white counterparts, blacks received no pay if they stayed home during bad weather; consequently, most blacks were compelled to work even in driving rain and snow storms.[3][4][5]
QuoteQuote:
The Memphis Sanitation Strike began on February 11, 1968 in Memphis Tennessee. Citing years of poor treatment, discrimination, dangerous working conditions, and the recent work-related deaths of Echol Cole and Robert Walker, some 1300 black sanitation workers walked off the job in protest. They sought to join the American Federation of State, County, and Municipal Employees (AFSCME) Local 1733.

Over the next 64 days, the strike grew into a major civil rights struggle, attracting the attention of the national news media. AFSCME and the workers demanded union recognition, wage increases, and an end to discrimination. Local clergy members and community leaders also undertook an active campaign, including boycotts and civil disobedience. Civil Rights leaders Roy Wilkins, James Lawson, and Bayard Rustin all participated over the course of the strike. Prior to his death on April 4, 1968, Martin Luther King, Jr. also took an active role in mass meetings and street actions. (edit: On April 4, 1968,Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. was assassinated in Memphis) The strike ended on April 12, 1968, with a settlement that included union recognition and wage increases, although additional strikes had to be threatened to force the City of Memphis to honor its agreements.
Well OK, not an EXACT CAUSE, but sure didn't hurt.......
He didn't have to be where he was or doing what he was doing without the union strike..... WHAT exactly is your point?
A sanitation boss didn't shoot him????
Think your reading too much into the OP's post.........

Last edited by jeffkrol; 03-15-2011 at 06:41 PM.
03-15-2011, 06:36 PM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jeffkrol Quote
Well lets see.... Wiki
Lets see Wikipedia is not a source that any school will allow as legitimate research so lets not use it if you want to show proof of something shall we, I can also find articles in Wikipedia that would probably claim to prove alien life. I said show proof that he was killed by James Earl Ray only because he was there to help in a strike by the sanitation workers as is being claimed here.

03-15-2011, 06:43 PM   #5
Veteran Member

The original post gives the implication that King was killed solely because he was there to support the right of collective bargaining and that this "right" is being taken away so that we must defend a "right" that King gave his life for. Thats what i read I don't know what you read

Just in case you didn't see it above

Join us in solidarity with working people in Wisconsin, Ohio, Indiana and dozens of other states where well-funded, right-wing corporate politicians are trying to take away the rights Dr. King gave his life for
03-15-2011, 06:46 PM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by gokenin Quote
Lets see Wikipedia is not a source that any school will allow as legitimate research so lets not use it if you want to show proof of something shall we, I can also find articles in Wikipedia that would probably claim to prove alien life. I said show proof that he was killed by James Earl Ray only because he was there to help in a strike by the sanitation workers as is being claimed here.
Instead of proving wiki is wrong on other things best to concentrate your research on why it's not wrong on this.... I really am growing weary of those kind of illogical defenses..
IF you would come back and prove it wrong.. fine.
How about Tennessee encyclopedia, or do you only accept eye witnesses.......
http://tennesseeencyclopedia.net/entry.php?rec=902
QuoteQuote:
Dr. King came to support the strike as part of his Poor People's Campaign, an effort to take the grievances of the poor directly to Washington, D.C., Mass meetings, a boycott of Memphis businesses and commercial newspapers (which African Americans felt consistently distorted the facts and issues in the strike), and daily picketing formed the backdrop for King's March 18 speech to a crowd of fifteen thousand. Made at the request of civil rights stalwart Reverend James Lawson, King's speech put national media attention on the strike, revived flagging spirits in Memphis, and led to major strike support by national and local trade unions. When King returned to Memphis for a mass march on March 29, however, tensions in Memphis had risen to a fever pitch. Window breaking by march bystanders led to confrontations with the police, who shot Larry Payne to death, leading to riots and occupation of the city by four thousand National Guardsmen. The courts enjoined King from leading further marches, threatening to cancel out the credibility of his campaign for a national march on Washington. Returning to Memphis determined to lead a mass nonviolent march, King called for support of the worldwide "human rights revolution" at a mass rally on April 3 at Mason Temple. In an emotional climax to the speech, King practically predicted his own death and prophesied, "I may not get there with you, but I want you to know tonight that we as a people will get to the promised land."

King's assassination on April 4 led to massive riots all over the United States and to turmoil in the streets of Memphis. On April 7, some eight thousand Memphians, most of them white, expressed their concern in a memorial followed by a completely silent mass march of twenty to forty thousand people from all over the country through the streets of Memphis on April 8. National labor leaders, President Lyndon Johnson, and Tennessee Governor Buford Ellington all pressured the city into recognizing Local 1733 and allowing a checkoff of union dues from workers' paychecks.
Try again??????

Last edited by jeffkrol; 03-15-2011 at 06:51 PM.
03-15-2011, 07:04 PM   #7
Veteran Member

OK let me try one more time here. I am not denying that King was killed at the same time that he was there supporting this particular strike. I am simply saying that you can not directly link these two causes as the absolute reason that King was killed, remember he did receive numerous death threats before he was killed and even had at least one other attempt on his life previous to this. You have showed that King was there to support the strike but you have not show that Ray killed him ONLY because he was there to support the strike.

Last edited by gokenin; 03-15-2011 at 07:10 PM.
03-16-2011, 06:24 AM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by gokenin Quote
You have showed that King was there to support the strike but you have not show that Ray killed him ONLY because he was there to support the strike.
And you can't prove Ray didn't kill him for supporting the unions even if it was only part of his hatred. Maybe he just didn't like his color, maybe it wasn't even him,