Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-15-2011, 07:49 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Q: IPAD VS IPAD2 which is better?

I am thinking about picking up one of these little toys and was wondering from people that have knowledge of them. What advantages you will gain with the IPAD2 other than the second camera and the slight size and weight differences? I am thinking of getting a WIFI only version and can get a 32gig IPAD for the same cost as a 16gig IPAD2 just wondering if it makes more sense to go with the original?

03-15-2011, 08:09 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Twice the processor performance, nine times the graphics performance. With the video adapter you can mirror video to a HDTV or projector from any app, even Facetime. Good luck getting one. The wait if you order online is 5 weeks and stores have limited supplies.
03-15-2011, 10:13 PM   #3
Inactive Account

The question I always ask myself is do I need an iPad? and the answer is always no because it is less capable than my laptop and less portable than my smartphone. If it could replace either completely I would consider it, but it is a device dedicated to consumption and built around planned obsolescence.
03-15-2011, 10:19 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Agreed mikemike, even a netbook is more capable and almost as small. Apple is an evil the world could do without!

03-16-2011, 05:24 AM   #5
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
Twice the processor performance, nine times the graphics performance. With the video adapter you can mirror video to a HDTV or projector from any app, even Facetime. Good luck getting one. The wait if you order online is 5 weeks and stores have limited supplies.
Sounds good. I've got my name down for one as soon as they arrive here ...

Vic.
03-18-2011, 03:38 PM   #6
Veteran Member

How about the Motorola Xoom or waiting for the Toshiba Tablet (from early specs it should be a good one)?

**But to answer your question the iPad2 is much better. Thinner, lighter, 2x the processing power, much better graphics processing, front camera for face time (rear camera is completely useless, never use it) and some more minor upgrades that I cannot recall.
03-18-2011, 04:21 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
thanks guys I am not a gamer so not really sure that I need the improved graphics and is the weight really an issue with the original looking at the specs it doesn't seem that they shaved allot of weight off. I am simply looking for something that I can surf the web and do emails with that is more portable than the laptop I have which is getting close to the end of its life( almost 5yrs old) So thinking of getting the original IPAD since I am not sure I need the upgrades.

03-18-2011, 06:39 PM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by gokenin Quote
Q: IPAD VS IPAD2 which is better?
A: Doesn't matter. Won't be any iPad2's for quite a while. Factories making critical parts are quake victims. You'll have to get by with an Etch-a-Sketch.
03-19-2011, 06:12 AM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

AT&T has cut the price of the 3G iPad 1. The 16GB is now $429 & the 64GB is $529. The 32GB is sold out.
03-19-2011, 07:19 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by RioRico Quote
A: Doesn't matter. Won't be any iPad2's for quite a while. Factories making critical parts are quake victims. You'll have to get by with an Etch-a-Sketch.
I was wondering about that to tell you the truth and wondering how apple production would be impacted
03-19-2011, 07:23 AM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I was wondering about that to tell you the truth and wondering how apple production would be impacted
Foxconn has enough parts for 2-3 weeks of production. If the NAND plants don't start back up soon the wait time is going to get a lot longer than the current 5 weeks.
03-19-2011, 07:39 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Original Poster
yeah and with everyone wanting an upgrade and the new buyers as well the chances of getting one before june are looking slim Called the appple store near me and asked if they had any of the original and they were like sure we have those in the shocked tone of you want the original?
03-20-2011, 01:31 AM   #13
Veteran Member

I am simply looking for something that I can surf the web and do emails with that is more portable than the laptop I have which is getting close to the end of its life( almost 5yrs old) So thinking of getting the original IPAD since I am not sure I need the upgrades.
In that case then definitely get the iPad 1 or even another cheaper tablet. The iPads and Xooms of the market are pretty expensive but you get what you pay for. Both the iPads and Xooms are very fast and powerful. If you REALLY only need it for simple web and email I would seriously consider a cheaper alternative. An Archos like these will do you just fine.
03-20-2011, 08:56 AM   #14
Veteran Member

thanks guys I am not a gamer so not really sure that I need the improved graphics and is the weight really an issue with the original looking at the specs it doesn't seem that they shaved allot of weight off. I am simply looking for something that I can surf the web and do emails with that is more portable than the laptop I have which is getting close to the end of its life( almost 5yrs old) So thinking of getting the original IPAD since I am not sure I need the upgrades.
An IPad is in no way a replacement for a laptop.
03-20-2011, 09:05 AM   #15
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Frogfish Quote
An IPad is in no way a replacement for a laptop.
I know several people who would disagree. They are getting rid of their laptops after getting iPads because they never use them anymore. Keep in mind they are keeping their desktops. If you are using a laptop as a desktop replacement then an iPad is not a replacement.