Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-20-2011, 09:38 PM   #1
Veteran Member

I have a job interview on Tuesday

It's at a theater. Can you guys tell me what kinds of questions they might ask me?

I suck at interviews.

03-20-2011, 10:28 PM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Sorry, I'm not a mind reader or a fortune teller. But having done hundreds of interviews from the hiring side....be confident, eye contact, firm hand shake, know what you are good at and what you want in the future. Don't spend much time on personal interests if asked about hobbies. You don't say what kind of job it is so I can't guess if you need technical or accounting skills. But be able to describe in vivid detail the things you know and problems you solved at previous jobs. If asked about weaknesses, just provide one that does not impact the job. At the end, thank them, ask when they are making a decision. Send an old fashioned letter thanking for consideration. Follow up by phone on the day they supposedly decide or a few days after the interview...whichever comes first. Empoyers want employees that WANT the job, not just settling for it. Good luck.

Oh, send them to me for a great reference (what was your name again??)
03-21-2011, 08:53 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Interviews in most of the working world are likely to be pretty arbitrary, if you're not comfortable with the sort of thing, maybe a combination of forthrightness and not-volunteering-too-much is a good baseline. (People with better employment histories than I might quibble about the honesty bit, admittedly.) Be in a strong space.

On the honesty thing, well, if you're not confident about interview skills, it can sometimes be that that combination of honesty+lack of confidence leads people to end up trying to *explain themselves* while to a lot of the business-school mindset, they're going to see that as 'Everyone's hiding something, so this all must be just a *big smokescreen.*'

Fact is, in a lot of places (Maybe not so much 'the theater,' but it you're talking about ushering at the cinema, maybe indeed,) chances are you're meeting a middle manager, and Gods know what crackpot 'How To Interview Employees' business tapes and seminars they've been ingesting to begin with, so what you have is often some kind of dance between *those* schemes and 'How To Interview For Jobs' schemes, so I say just whatever makes you a *presence* is more likely to make everyone happier in the long run.

Thing is, that kind of concern tends to be pretty secondary in this day and age and a lot of middle-management types really can be cynical bastiches. Usually, they don't want to *see* themselves that way, though, so pay attention to *them,* and consider that people usually prefer simple narratives to elaborate explanations and too much information (Which latter point, as you can well see, is hardly a strong point of my own. )

Introspective people are commonly at an employment disadvantage amid all this, ...if you wonder why so many 'successful' people just seem so thick about some things, perhaps this is why.

Some even just say "Lie. It's expected." Apart from that there's obviously too few *words* in that strategy for me, that's something I'm generally not willing to do for a purpose like that. (A clever person might note the qualifiers: my code of honesty doesn't categorically-extend to enabling *abuse of that honesty,* let's say. Frankly, a lot of those 'strategies' being sold and played against each other are *just that,* really, trying to wring out of convoluted and sometimes-conflicting interests, strategies, and compromises, what straight-up honesty and an environment of fair dealings could provide. The systems are obviously generally-unkind to idealists, though, of course. )

For simpler, don't think of it as an 'examination.' Or all that 'deception, fact finding, interrogation' sort of model. Think of it as a performance, portraying yourself as an employee, there.

And don't act like anybody you aren't prepared to be, there.
03-21-2011, 09:32 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
If you manage to give the impression that you can get the work done and would be a a pleasure rather than a pain to work with you should have a fair change . It is easy to say not to sweat it too much, maybe this helps:

Last edited by jolepp; 03-21-2011 at 12:09 PM. Reason: typo fix
03-21-2011, 12:01 PM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Ratmagiclady Quote

And don't act like anybody you aren't prepared to be, there.
+1

Be prepared to backup your resume. Most employers will ask questions based on the candidates resume.

Last edited by K57XR; 03-21-2011 at 12:09 PM.
03-21-2011, 02:06 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by jct us101 Quote
<snip>
I suck at interviews.
What is it you suck at ? Nervous ? Get over it. Pratice interviews if you have to.

Some of these interviews there are no right or wrong answers they want to see how you handel a particualr question. For example years ago when I was interviewed for a job as a Cobol programmer (yeah I had LP's as well ) , one of the questions was what is the biggest number you can get into a S9(4) Comp field ? (ranging from -32767 to +32767 is the right answer unless you ignore the sign bit then double it) - anyway fresh out of school I had no idea and admitted as much and I thik I said I would have to look it up.

I got the job BTW that was just one of those questions to see how one would react. The point being the question did not make me nervous , if they were not going to hire because I did not know that , then I am not sure I wanted that job anyway
03-21-2011, 08:46 PM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by daacon Quote
What is it you suck at ? Nervous ? Get over it. Pratice interviews if you have to.

Some of these interviews there are no right or wrong answers they want to see how you handel a particualr question. For example years ago when I was interviewed for a job as a Cobol programmer (yeah I had LP's as well ) , one of the questions was what is the biggest number you can get into a S9(4) Comp field ? (ranging from -32767 to +32767 is the right answer unless you ignore the sign bit then double it) - anyway fresh out of school I had no idea and admitted as much and I thik I said I would have to look it up.

I got the job BTW that was just one of those questions to see how one would react. The point being the question did not make me nervous , if they were not going to hire because I did not know that , then I am not sure I wanted that job anyway
That's some pretty decent advice and goes along with my own experience.
Just try to be yourself. Also be honest.
In most cases employers don't expect you to know everything about the job, but if you demonstrate that you have the ability to learn it will help.

Like Dave, I have also been in interviews where a technical question was asked. Mine was "how do you find the IP address of an Apple Mac computer".
My answer was "I have no idea!" which was followed by a little bit of a laugh which I think helped to relax myself and the interviewers.
Another good point, smile if you can! If you feel really nervous for whatever reason, you can mention it to the interviewer. Chances are they might not be experienced at interviews too.

Dave's right (again), like many other things, practice to get over the nerves. Also if you are confident in what you can do you should be alright.

03-22-2011, 01:01 AM - 1 Like   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Dress nicely. Even if you're applying for a janitor's job, DO dress up a bit, wash, brush the teeth etc. Have a backup copy of your resume with you if they asked for one, including your references handy. Do take off your sun glasses if you're wearing them, shake hands with your interviewer, and smile when first meeting. Watch your spelling when you fill out an application if you haven't already. Be polite and watch your language. (Yes, that stuff does matter.)

Ask more questions about the job than about your pay scale. (You can ask, but leave it for very late in the interview. They want to know you're interested in the position though, not so much in money and benefits.) Answer all questions as honestly as you can. Trust me they're probably going to know if you're lying and they'll just dump your resume in the round file if you do. Never promise them anything you can't deliver just to get a job. That will get you absolutely nowhere. Unless they're really new at it most interviewers can spot a faker a mile away anyway.

If there was a problem on a previous job and they ask about why you left, be honest, but be diplomatic too. Don't disrespect a former employer if you can help it, even if they deserve it.

Take a breath and a moment before you reply. You won't sound as nervous if you do. Don't fidget, don't keep touching your hair or moving your legs, etc. Be as still as you can without coming off like a zombie. Keep your hands in front of you loosely clasped, use them to focus. The less you move around the less likely it is that they'll think you're a nervous type.

If you have problems with allergies or eye redness use eye drops and/or take an antihistamine a few hours before you go. It's very common for people to misinterpret red eyes and a snuffy nose as probable drug use and I've seen more than one interview torpedoed by someone showing "looking" like they're stoned even when they're not. Don't take the antihistamine too soon before your interview though as it can backfire. Your eyes can dilate for a while after you first take one or use drops so an hour or so before is a always good thing.

Be on time, actually be a couple of minutes early if you can. That's always nice for the interviewer. It shows you're likely to show up on time for the job too.

If you're going for a job at a movie theater have a few favorite films ready to talk about. Show some basic knowledge of the cinema. It could win you some points with your perspective employer. Most people who work in a theater movie or otherwise they're semi-nuts about the art form. Ditto, if it's a real theater. Show some enthusiasm for the stage and have a favorite play or two to mention. They'll likely ask why you want to work there particularly and actually being a movie buff or being into serious drama is a major plus with arty people.

Be yourself and don't worry so much about the person behind the desk. They're probably just like you, nervous about doing the interviewing. As many interviews as I've done over the years, and I've hired a number of people, it's not much less stressful for me than it is for the person being interviewed. Interviewing, coming up with all those questions to ask can be awkward too. The person interviewing you is just another human being, probably doing a part of their job that they don't actually like all that much. Hiring can be just as nerve-wracking for them as it can be for you. Remember that and don't fear the interviewer.

Bottom line, yes, you want the job, and you want them to know that, but any sign of desperation isn't something you want to show them or that they want to see. A little enthusiasm is great, too much and they'll likely back off.

One last thing?

Turn off the cell phone before you go in. Don't text in the waiting area. Your interviewer is going to want to know they have your FULL attention during your interview. If that phone rings while you're in the middle of it, or you even look at it? You can likely kiss that job goodbye. It is totally annoying to have to stop in the middle of an interview to watch someone answer their phone or to watch them texting. Honestly, I never like to see that before an interview. It always makes me suspect that the person I am hiring is likely going to be on the phone while they're supposed to be working. It's very common these days for people to be texting while waiting or even talking, and that is NOT a good thing if you want to actually get that job. Put that phone away and you will likely be taken a lot more seriously.

Good luck!

Last edited by magkelly; 03-22-2011 at 01:09 AM.
03-22-2011, 01:18 AM   #9
Inactive Account

QuoteQuote:
Turn off the cell phone before you go in.
Good advice except for this one. Don't even take the cell phone in. If you can't live without for 30 minutes, then you should be looking for a job that can be done from home.

03-22-2011, 01:34 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Surely you could just put it on silent and ignore it if it rings...
As long as it doesn't make a loud noise and interrupt the interview it should be fine. If it vibrates loudly however it's probably a good idea to turn off anyway.

Jeff I do see where you're coming from though.
03-23-2011, 03:03 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
That was a very fascinating interview. Didn't ask any questions in the first hour, asked me a few in the last 5 minutes. It was a group interview, and was very fascinating. I think I did well though.
03-27-2011, 05:27 AM   #12

Photos: Albums
To all of them who have their job interviews coming I could say how I survived it. I had all the knowledge I had to have for job interview including things about company but I didn't have one of their biggest wants, I don't have finished high school yet. So I was a bit nervous about that. I even couldn't get right words out of my mouth. Yes, it means that I couldn't define what is DOF Silly, I know, but still. Now I am working in that company and have best team ever! And mainly, I can make people know what they are buying and ***they are buying Pentaxes more and more because I can tell them everything about what they need to know in my experiences.

So I guess You'll succeed in job interview when You really want this job!