Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-23-2011, 06:27 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Upgrade to Windows 7 question..

This might seem like a stupid question, but I'm not real computer savvy. I'm going to upgrade a Sony Vaio Series P netbook from Vista to Win 7. This 8 inch pc has no ethernet port and I see to upgrade, an active internet connection is required. I have an active wireless network. This will not be a clean install....just an upgrade. Will I be alright with a wireless network? I worry that a driver will not work or something and the internet connection will be lost during the upgrade process

Larry

03-23-2011, 07:46 PM - 1 Like   #2
Veteran Member

I probably wouldn’t do these kinds of upgrade over wireless network. I suggest investing on a “good” USB-2 to Ethernet adapter….Linksys, D-Link, etc.
03-23-2011, 07:59 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thank you. I didn't even know this type of product was made. Your suggestion makes perfect sense and I'll pick one up before I do anything.

Larry

QuoteOriginally posted by K57XR Quote
I probably wouldn’t do these kinds of upgrade over wireless network. I suggest investing on a “good” USB-2 to Ethernet adapter….Linksys, D-Link, etc.
03-23-2011, 08:19 PM   #4
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
It's fine over the wireless network- all it does is contact windows update and download the updates. In fact, I've never used ethernet for stuff like this. The actual upgrade process is entirely offline, so once you have the upgrade disk image on your hard drive, you should be all set.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

03-23-2011, 08:33 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks Adam. If the internet is only used for upgrades to Windows, I can do this anytime after. I do have all the potential necessary drivers downloaded to a thumb right off the Sony website.

Larry
03-23-2011, 09:49 PM   #6
Administrator
Site Webmaster

You shouldn't need any new drivers, as the update is seamless. Do you have the Windows 7 dvd ISO downloaded?

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

03-24-2011, 01:45 AM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Larry, the Win 7 installation validates a whole bunch of files before it uses them. If there's a network delay during the validation, it can abort the installation. In case you haven't already done it, I would suggest searching TechNet and other places for possible problems. It's been a while, but I think the error messages talk about invalid CAB files.

Richard.
03-24-2011, 05:07 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I don't have anything yet. Ordered the physical Win7 upgrade disk for B&H(plug) and will use an external drive to install.

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
You shouldn't need any new drivers, as the update is seamless. Do you have the Windows 7 dvd ISO downloaded?

04-09-2011, 03:15 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Dredge up an old thread time. Today, I did the upgrade to Windows 7. Everything went quite smoothly and it only took 2.5 hours to complete. I seem to have a small snag. Every function works properly, but one. Everytime I open an app or window of any kind, it opens choppy. It opens quickly but lack smoothness that I had with Vista. Would this be a video driver issue or maybe graphics card issue? The way it's working, it would appear to be a sliight compatibility problem. Any ideas?

Larry

Last edited by larryinlc; 04-09-2011 at 03:23 PM.
04-09-2011, 03:41 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
After googling the problem using most of the typical keywords...jerky, choppy, twitchy, ect...it appears I'm not alone with this quirk.
04-09-2011, 04:16 PM   #11
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Try reinstalling your video card driver and check your window preferences to see if the more crazy effects are disabled.
04-09-2011, 04:28 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Original Poster
After googling the heck out of it, your advice is spot on. Especially all those crazy un-needed animation effects.

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Try reinstalling your video card driver and check your window preferences to see if the more crazy effects are disabled.
04-09-2011, 06:13 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I found a video that shows it better than I ever could explain it. This is it, only it's somewhat worse for me on my netbook. Underpowered, I suppose.

YouTube - Windows 7 RC1 RTM Aero Lag
04-09-2011, 06:19 PM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
All netbooks are underpowered

No surprises here, heh.
04-09-2011, 06:32 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Original Poster
True, and that's why I upgraded to Win 7 from Vista. It was supposed to be snappier. I can't say that I can see it though. Still, a netbook is sure handy for carrying around. On big advantage of Win 7 is it takes up a lot less space on my 64gb ssd.

QuoteOriginally posted by Vylen Quote
All netbooks are underpowered

No surprises here, heh.