Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-25-2011, 09:30 AM   #31
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by seacapt Quote
Again I'll point out a freqently overlooked fact. During long term unemployment people loose skills , abillity and current knowledge making them less hirable in their fields.
Seems that if you can't find a job in your particular field within a year you probably should choose and or learn another profession.
Should unemployment insurance cover photo film lab techs for life?
Doesn't really matter, Actually looking at the deficit we are grossly underpaying, and if some get some back, who will spend it and be taxed, who will spend it to be taxed,,ect til it hits one of the 400 "money collectors".......
Who said for life.. minor extension.. certainly not "for life"... Over-reaction..
Chasing gnats comes to mind with this "problem"........... They always get BIGGER when they get personal until it's one HUGE GNAT, but a gnat nevertheless..
to follow up another thread and cross connect it see here is the catch............
QuoteQuote:
GE pays what it owes under the law and is scrupulous about its compliance with tax obligations in all jurisdictions.
GE pays what it owes under the law and is scrupulous about its compliance with tax obligations in all jurisdictions.
http://www.gereports.com/setting-the-record-straight-ge-and-taxes/
Wonderful doublespeek..........
QuoteQuote:
The Times erroneously suggests GE makes use of tax “loopholes” or “innovative accounting.” Our accounting and tax positions fully comply with all applicable rules and regulations and are based on sound public policy. Virtually all major industrialized countries tax only domestic, not foreign business income. In the United States, there is a similar concept, called deferral. Deferral for active non-U.S. financial services income has been a long-standing feature of U.S. law, except for a brief period of time. Due to government budget constraints, it is now subject to periodic expiration, but it has been renewed by the Congress and U.S. Presidents with strong bipartisan support six times. GE supports this sound policy, which is aligned with international norms and is vital for U.S. competitiveness.
Can I defer all my taxes for life????????????????
And you wonder why people cheat?????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

Last edited by jeffkrol; 03-25-2011 at 09:36 AM.
03-25-2011, 09:42 AM   #32
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
People who work "under the table", as well as those in business who hire them, just says tells volumes about why unions are important.

As I asked before.
What did this guy do that was so great as to pay him in this way.
Maybe you could have found an "illegal immigrant", who would have worked cheaper.
03-25-2011, 09:48 AM   #33
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jeffkrol Quote
.. minor extension..
Sorry Jeff I just can't see quadrupling the term as a minor extension.
03-25-2011, 09:57 AM   #34
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by MRRiley Quote
. After all, it is our tax dollars that they are getting.

Lets not forget that us capitalist pig employers pay/are taxed for the bulk of the unemployment insurance pool.

Mike I really like the way your think on my particular issue but I live in a small town where everybody knows everybody and I don't want to cut my own throat with regards to people wanting to do piece work for me in the future. If I pay an individual in excess of $649.99 for casual labor during a 1 year period I have to 1099 them. The person in question made $600 but he won't see another dime from me. I think I'll leave it at that. His unemployment is close to running out and he is going to have to decide what he's going to do with his life pretty soon.

Last edited by seacapt; 03-25-2011 at 10:11 AM.
03-25-2011, 10:18 AM   #35
Site Supporter

" Casual Labor" at $25hr?
That's pretty messed up.
03-25-2011, 10:25 AM   #36
Veteran Member

Mike I really like the way your think on my particular issue but I live in a small town where everybody knows everybody and I don't want to cut my own throat with regards to people wanting to do piece work for me in the future. If I pay an individual in excess of $649.99 for casual labor during a 1 year period I have to 1099 them. The person in question made $600 but he won't see another dime from me. I think I'll leave it at that. His unemployment is close to running out and he is going to have to decide what he's going to do with his life pretty soon.
I understand the small town part. Just a shame that people like this slug get away with it. Hopefully karma will come back and bite him on the rear.
03-25-2011, 10:56 AM   #37
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Again I'll point out a freqently overlooked fact. During long term unemployment people loose skills , abillity and current knowledge making them less hirable in their fields.
Seems that if you can't find a job in your particular field within a year you probably should choose and or learn another profession.
Should unemployment insurance cover photo film lab techs for life?
With 5 unemployed Americans for every 1 available job, there can't be too much effect of unemployment on job seeking.

Nevertheless, unemployment is administered by the states under state regulations. I can't speak for your state, but most states have regulations on what types of applications you have to make. I would not expect that you can hold out for a job that barely exists.

Unemployment is not a big, tempting bonanza, especially for anyone making something like $25 per hour. In my state, it pays a maximum of 2/3 of the average weekly wage. That puts you at or near the poverty level. This does not encourage malingering, but it probably does encourage working under the table.

In short, despite the attitude of one guy, who may be violating the law, extended unemployment benefits have not been shown to cause a significant increase in unemployment. FRBSF Economic Letter: Extended Unemployment and UI Benefits (2010-12, 4/19/2010)

03-25-2011, 11:11 AM   #38
Inactive Account

I like the story this week on how bank of america is discriminating because they don't want to hire people with a criminal record.

You can't work in a bank if you have a rap sheet... what a radical idea.

I know, I know, queue the Wall Street Bankster comments

http://news.yahoo.com/s/yblog_thelookout/20110323/ts_yblog_thelookout/help-w...need-not-apply
03-25-2011, 11:31 AM   #39
Veteran Member

Lets not forget that us capitalist pig employers pay/are taxed for the bulk of the unemployment insurance pool.
that pool went dry a year or so ago......They'd be screaming bloody murder to raise that pool..
and it is insurance.. maybe we need a pre-x clause.......
03-25-2011, 11:33 AM   #40
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mikemike Quote
I like the story this week on how bank of america is discriminating because they don't want to hire people with a criminal record.

Help wanted — sixty-five million need not apply - Yahoo! News
you already know them and to break the law (morally) doesn't mean you broke the law (legally)..... Now as far a B of A paying all the fines for the crooks (Countrywide) at the shareholders expense.. Let's hear the moral outrage....
03-25-2011, 03:03 PM   #41
Veteran Member

The thing that bothers me the most is how the attention from economic problems and bad policies is turned away by this litle malign lie that the problem lies on those who are unemployed, poor, outcasted...
I'm sure seacapt is no "big pig employer" but a middle class entrepreneur, and he is criticizing social policies in the wrong assumption that they are the problem. The problem lies in the permissiveness of the state towards the big players and it's stiffness towards the litle ones, if things were the other way round your guy, here, would not need to play the system and you could offer better conditions mantaining a wide enough benefice margin.
In fact it's your social class the one that's being really screwed by the economic regulations the "conservatives" have imposed, it's the one paying since tax cuts only really benefit those who have big fortunes, turning the tax system into something proportional (or even regressive) and not progressive as it should be.
What is needed is much more spending on social policies (wich benefit most the middle class and not the poor as it's assumed, at least in europe that balance was achieved and now following USA's decay trail we are abandonning the very things that have built a wide middle class.), much more taxation of big fortunes and corporation's benefits, with very strict laws about fiscal paradises, with objective measurments and quotas in cases where big money hides offshore. They cannot lose these markets so if things were more strict they would have to accept those conditions.
If no safety nets were stablished, in the current "free" for all climate more people would fall off under poverty limits, the big corporations are the cause of unemployment because they prefer to outsource and exploit cheaper and less privileged workers, and they use this to blackmail us into being "more competitive" i.e. lowering our wages and perks, all this with "economic" arguments while they make more money than ever.
The "laissez faire" state failed once, it will fail again, and if midlle class does not wake up soon enough, they will see the rise of collective movements (damm they will be IN those just as in Argentina, and those who aren't will be treated as the upper class will be treated i.e. badly). Class and social unrest was apeased after WWII whith the broadening of the middle class if it dissapears it will come back.

Last edited by Coeurdechene; 03-25-2011 at 03:11 PM.
03-25-2011, 03:14 PM   #42
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mikemike Quote

Help wanted — sixty-five million need not apply - Yahoo! News
Banks are one thing, but an 11 year old misdemeanor ought not to keep you from stocking at Lowes. It is worse than what is reported in that article. If you are convicted of a felony, no one will rent to you in ABQ, either.

This is a tricky issue. If we release felons and they can't work or live without lying, then what result are we practically insuring?
03-25-2011, 05:36 PM   #43
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by GeneV Quote
Banks are one thing, but an 11 year old misdemeanor ought not to keep you from stocking at Lowes. It is worse than what is reported in that article. If you are convicted of a felony, no one will rent to you in ABQ, either.

This is a tricky issue. If we release felons and they can't work or live without lying, then what result are we practically insuring?
Ohh.. Let me get this one.. errr.. ahhh .another crime????
Or to put it into jeopardy speak.. What causes more crime??
03-25-2011, 05:39 PM   #44
Veteran Member

His unemployment is close to running out and he is going to have to decide what he's going to do with his life pretty soon.
see temporary.............
wonder how much it costs each taxpayer??? $50 for all of them????

contrast that to this..........

QuoteQuote:
Six of the nation's largest banks are about to line shareholders' pockets with $8.7 billion in new dividend payments this year.

Minutes after the Federal Reserve privately notified some financial institutions that they passed a new round of regulatory "stress tests," a half-dozen sent out a flurry of statements Friday detailing the new payouts. Three more banks said they may raise dividends without specifying the amounts, likely providing another $3.4 billion for shareholders this year, according to research firms SNL Financial LC and RBC Capital Markets LLC...........Potential 2011 dividends of more than $12 billion, paid by just 10 banks, would dwarf the $4.5 billion in profits the entire industry posted in 2008.
http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052748703512404576209001257106150.ht...googlenews_wsj

and funny..........
QuoteQuote:
Reps. Barbara Lee and Bobby Scott say that the Republican leadership in the U.S. House of Representatives have agreed to sit down and talk with them about their bill to extend federal unemployment benefits for an additional 14 weeks.

Republican leaders in the House of Representatives have agreed to meet with two Democrats to discuss longshot legislation for the long-term unemployed, the members’ offices confirmed Tuesday…

The Lee-Scott proposal received zero initial support from Republicans because it would add roughly $16 billion to the federal budget deficit. Lee and Scott later announced they’d be open to finding budget cuts to offset the cost of the benefits, something Democrats have generally refused to do for federal extended jobless aid typically enacted during recessions.

Given that concession, House Speaker John Boehner (R-Ohio) and Majority Leader Eric Cantor (R-Va.) have agreed to meet with Lee and Scott sometime in the next few weeks to discuss possible cuts to fund the benefits.

Whether this will lead to a compromise that could win approval or not remains to be seen, but it’s at least a step in that direction.
By Ed Brayton | 03.23.11 | 7:53 am
http://michiganmessenger.com/47593/gop-leaders-will-talk-about-unemployment-extension

Deficits don't matter.. DICK Cheney......It pains me to think he got something right.......

Last edited by jeffkrol; 03-25-2011 at 05:52 PM.
03-26-2011, 05:50 AM   #45
Inactive Account

What has been said so far about this complex situation rings true. A large part of the problem is that people (and governments) tend to do things the easy way.

There is no question but it is best for society that people not be destitute because (among other things):
* they can't effectively consume to drive commerce,
* they can't participate in production if there is nobody to consume their production,
* they can't participate in production if they are weakened by poverty.
* they are dangerous when they become desperate,
* they get sick at great cost to the Health Care through Emergency Services system.
* their children tend to be difficult to move into the mainstream.

Unfortunately it is easiest:
* for government to simply hand out cash to individuals or business than to more directly create jobs.
* for individuals to accept payment under the table avoiding taxes.
* for individuals to accept payment under the table avoiding confusing paperwork.
* for the destitute to work for a pittance.
* for employers to not report payments to the taxing agencies.
* for employers to hire the destitute for low wages.
* for the ER to be the fall-back health care system.

What can be done? Seriously; the system doesn't work very well and the hope that people "will do the right thing" is in vain.

Sales taxes as a replacement for income taxes is an obvious scheme to avoid tax dodging. GeneV points out that this penalizes those you are trying to help.... maybe not if you increase the dole. Increasing the dole then collecting some of it back through sales tax is fundamentally not much different from deducting income tax from welfare payments before the handout.
Closed Thread