Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-25-2011, 04:06 PM   #1
Pentaxian

Canadian election looming

Looks like we go to the polls in early May as the government failed a non confidence motion. Not sure what the maximum length of an election campaign is, I thought it was either 46 or 60 days however the minimum is 36 days. Way too long. Should find out who is running in the next two or three weeks and then the lawn signs start appearing in the snow.

Voting is such a chore, waling the two blocks to the school, waiting for a senior citizen to find my name on the list is another minute, filling in the circle and depositing the ballot and often running into some one I know as I leave the building and then walking home it is ten or even fifteen minutes gone.

Any outcome but a Harper majority is my preference. If he gets re-elected especially with a smaller minority the Conservatives will most likely pick a new leader. With the problems that the Liberals have had since the sponsorship scandal anyone else should have gotten a majority easily. Theoretically even the Bloc could get the most seats if the Greens get any amount of seats. I really miss both the Natural Law party and the Rhinoceros Party and remember in the 80s in Edmonton the riding we lived in had the Marxist-Leninist party duking it out with the Communist Party for the far left vote in a riding that had 12 parties running. Here the only way the Conservative will not win if the party brings in a rat (ratus ) from Saskatchewan to represent us (we do not have rats in Alberta other than the odd lab rat and muskrats).

On the bright side each candidate can only spend about 100 grand and most do not reach their limit plus the local TV and radio commericals are so bad that we do not have to endure all the slick TV campaigns that those south of the border must.

03-25-2011, 04:32 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I lost 1/2 hour this morning voting in a State election, which is a foregone conclusion.
The sitting Labor Party is in for a total belting.

It all so mundane and, to me, a very boring exercise. Their all much the same anyway. ......zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz:ugh:
03-25-2011, 04:48 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by redrockcoulee Quote
On the bright side each candidate can only spend about 100 grand and most do not reach their limit plus the local TV and radio commericals are so bad that we do not have to endure all the slick TV campaigns that those south of the border must.
A budget limit seems like a very reasonable measure: without it an advertising arms race is inevitable and with that the end result is that entities with the means of making sizeable contributions end up having power that is supposed to be in the hands of the electorate. Another practical measure would be an outright ban to TV-advertising which is very expensive and probably for that reason practically devoid of substance. (There is a scheduled parliamentary election coming up in Finland too BTW ... a populist party is projected to do pretty good, which is likely be their demise, if they end up in a coalition making up the next cabinet meaning dealing with realities instead of demagogy )
03-25-2011, 04:59 PM   #4
Veteran Member

At this point I figure we'll wind up with another minority government that looks pretty much the same as the current one unless there is a major surprise during the campaign. I would vote Bloc for the entertainment value but for some reason they won't field a candidate in my riding...

03-25-2011, 05:01 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Steinback Quote
At this point I figure we'll wind up with another minority government that looks pretty much the same as the current one unless there is a major surprise during the campaign. I would vote Bloc for the entertainment value but for some reason they won't field a candidate in my riding...
I think a lot of western Canadians too would like the Bloc to represent the centre of the universe and take is some where else too
03-25-2011, 05:04 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Bramela Quote
I lost 1/2 hour this morning voting in a State election, which is a foregone conclusion.
The sitting Labor Party is in for a total belting.

It all so mundane and, to me, a very boring exercise. Their all much the same anyway. ......zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz:ugh:
Provincially our elections are very boring, only three changes in government in 105 years and no party has ever come back to power after losing, one is now out of politics and another is more or less a joke getting like 8 votes
03-25-2011, 05:19 PM   #7
Pentaxian

I hope the liberals and NDP stick it to them. The Conservatives with a max of 37% of the popular vote now control the Senate, a complete insult to democracy. Mr. Senate reform totally backed off once he realized the cons would never survive even a system with a run off vote, forget about a system of representation by percentage of the vote.

03-25-2011, 06:04 PM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter

The Liberals pretty much kissed Alberta goodbye with the National Energy Program, and then did the same thing in Saskatchewan by giving the farmers the finger when farms were being killed by the foreign subsidy wars.
I think Goodale probably stands a good chance of regaining his seat, but that will likely be the only Liberal seat west of Ontario.
It's a sad situation, as much as I detest and distrust Harper, and as much as I disagree with almost everything he stands for, I distrust Michael Ignatieff even more, since he seems to have his head firmly stuck in his nether region.
The NDP will never form a government, and Layton is a lame duck leader on more than one level at the moment.
Another minority Conservative government will put us back into an election in the fall, a majority Conservative will just embolden Harper to try to run a weak Tea Party style of government.
The best we can hope for is a Liberal minority using the NDP to form a coalition and Layton getting out of the game.
The Bloc is useless, as they have no interest in the well being of anything other than Quebec, and don't seem to realize that the pampering stops when they get what they so misguidedly seem to want.
OTOH, we are better off than the Americans, so it's not all bad.

As an aside, Norm, Jean Chretien's last majority government had about the same % of the popular vote as Harper's present minority, so both major parties are not above making a mockery of democracy.
03-26-2011, 06:43 AM   #9
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Another option would be a Conservative minority with less seats which would most likely result in a leadership race. As much as it seems Harper runs rough shod over the elector and parliamentary rules and acts more like an emperor than a Prime Minister it sure seems that within his cabinet he is more of an absolute dictator. The party and the country would be better off with some one who is less interested in scoring points and more interested in solving problems. On the plus side of him he has put aside his own views as far as how to get out of a recession but his attitude on culture, environment and people of other views is not what this country is usually about.

The Bloc may only be primarily interested in Quebec as that is their platform but they are also strong supporters of culture, the environment and our social safety net.
03-26-2011, 06:49 AM   #10
Pentaxian

QuoteQuote:
As an aside, Norm, Jean Chretien's last majority government had about the same % of the popular vote as Harper's present minority, so both major parties are not above making a mockery of democracy.
That's the sad thing wheat... there is no party that is above making a mockery of democracy once elected.
03-28-2011, 11:58 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Politicians are more concerned about tea parties, that sounds so feminine. thinking about it, most of them have no balls at all.
03-29-2011, 09:20 AM   #12
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Pentaxor Quote
Politicians are more concerned about tea parties, that sounds so feminine. thinking about it, most of them have no balls at all.
Congratulations! In one short post you've managed to insult all politicians, women, and eunuchs. This may be a forum first!
03-29-2011, 09:45 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Sad to say but this election will likely change little. I would hope the electorate will listen to the opposition points on the conservative record, but harper is very good at dodging these things and controls his members well enough that they will keep there mouths completely shut except to spout a pre-approved canned answer from his office. The liberals under Chretien weren't much better and there last majority was with about the same % of the poular vote. Personally I feel it's time for proportional representation. I want my vote to count. As it sits I am in Jack's riding and as the NDP are closest to my personal politics he will get my vote so it does count, however if I chose to vote say green to raise issues and provide support my vote is diminished. in a proportional system the greens would have elected representation
The one thing everyone brings up against proportional is we would be doomed to minority governments. Well with the ridings and representation split the way they are now and the Bloq stranglehold on Quebec we already are. Bloq influence would be lessened under a proportional system, and minority views would actually have some voice in the process. Parties would learn to work together for the common good as opposed to working to undermine the opposition they rely on for power
As for Harper senate move, that was pure political posturing IMHO, he knew it would be near impossible to eliminate it as it sits and to look good he didn't appoint until there was no choice but to fill the seats before he could possibly lose an electio, stacking the senate in favourof the conservatives with a bunch of yes men. the liberals did much the same, but at least they mde the odd appointment from the opposition to keep the senate balance. funny thing is most of the older senate takes direction from no one, most of the new ones just obey orders from the Harper Government and don't think for themselves yet (the beauty of the unelected Senate is they can think for themselves and look with more unbiased eyes at what may be good for Canada without threat from a party or an electorate - they can't stop laws, but they can ensure they are well reviewed and balance before implementation)
03-29-2011, 09:50 AM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by redrockcoulee Quote
Another option would be a Conservative minority with less seats which would most likely result in a leadership race. As much as it seems Harper runs rough shod over the elector and parliamentary rules and acts more like an emperor than a Prime Minister it sure seems that within his cabinet he is more of an absolute dictator. The party and the country would be better off with some one who is less interested in scoring points and more interested in solving problems. On the plus side of him he has put aside his own views as far as how to get out of a recession but his attitude on culture, environment and people of other views is not what this country is usually about.

The Bloc may only be primarily interested in Quebec as that is their platform but they are also strong supporters of culture, the environment and our social safety net.
I'm Glad to see the West see some of the same traits in harper the east does. There are some posters popping up around my neighbourhood that have Harper doing his bush/hitler salute with a circle with a stroke through it and the byline say no to Il Duce (God I love living in a neighbourhood with artists). I'll see if i can find one to scan
03-29-2011, 12:28 PM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
Congratulations! In one short post you've managed to insult all politicians, women, and eunuchs. This may be a forum first!
it never really occurred to me that way. honestly, I was more likely targeting the first group.