Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-25-2011, 08:06 PM   #1
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Firefox 4

Firefox 4 is out- much faster and more streamlined than 3.x! Mozilla | Firefox web browser & Thunderbird email client

Anyone else installed it?

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
03-25-2011, 08:16 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I have and it is faster. Some of the ad-ins did not port over from 3.6.X however. Also, I can't seem to view EXIF data in the gallery images. I have EXIF Viewer and FxIF extensions installed too! Hmmm... Any thoughts gang?
03-25-2011, 08:29 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

CORRECTION!

I do see the exif data with both extensions installed. I'm not sure why I wasn't at first. We're cookin' with gas now!
03-25-2011, 08:51 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

+1 Yep - faster. My Add-Ins transferred except MS .net Assistant 4.2.1

-1 Changed the method to move multiple pages back from "left click a down arrow" to right click in the tab bar" - not intuitive, and I found it accidentally.

Last edited by monochrome; 03-26-2011 at 09:36 AM.
03-25-2011, 08:56 PM   #5
Veteran Member

I've updated one of my computers with no complaints so far.
03-25-2011, 09:24 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
2 on W7 64 and 1 on XP. No problem at all but hardware acceleration is not for XP.
03-25-2011, 09:56 PM   #7
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by BigDave Quote
I have and it is faster. Some of the ad-ins did not port over from 3.6.X however. Also, I can't seem to view EXIF data in the gallery images. I have EXIF Viewer and FxIF extensions installed too! Hmmm... Any thoughts gang?
The exif is shown directly underneath the photos in the gallery- you don't need an add on for that! In other words, if EXIF is available for any photo uploaded locally, it'll be shown.

All my add ons did port over, but only after updating them to their latest versions.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
03-26-2011, 04:05 AM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I've installed it and it's enough to make me abandon Firefox for ever. I've tried it on XP-Pro and Win7-Pro.

I think I have to rate it very highly on my list of the most stupid, useless, rubbish "upgrades" ever. Not #1, but close. I've been developing software for over 40 years, so I've seen some shockers.

Just one example: with the previous version I could click:
Bookmarks, Personal, Pentax Forums.
With this one, I have to click:
Firefox, Bookmarks - aaagh another window opens - Personal, Pentax Forums
That is NOT an improvement. What were they thinking of?

Richard.
03-26-2011, 05:05 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Why not just use the bookmark button?
03-26-2011, 07:25 AM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RichardS Quote
Why not start typing "pentax.." in the "awesome bar" as they call it. Maybe even type "forum" and get a list of other forums as well
Very convenient.
03-26-2011, 09:17 AM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Firefox 4 is out- much faster and more streamlined than 3.x! Mozilla | Firefox web browser & Thunderbird email client

Anyone else installed it?
Installed on my Mac. No problems and does seem faster.
03-26-2011, 10:10 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by RichardS Quote
I've installed it and it's enough to make me abandon Firefox for ever. I've tried it on XP-Pro and Win7-Pro.

I think I have to rate it very highly on my list of the most stupid, useless, rubbish "upgrades" ever. Not #1, but close. I've been developing software for over 40 years, so I've seen some shockers.

Just one example: with the previous version I could click:
Bookmarks, Personal, Pentax Forums.
With this one, I have to click:
That is NOT an improvement. What were they thinking of?

Richard.
Right click anywhere in the top area and check "Menu Bar" I agree, I hated the Firefox menu box instantly and had to go back to the old style.

My likes so far:
-Don't need a plugin to make the top "clear" like glass
-Toolbar is pretty configurable...I need my Home and Refresh/Stop buttons to the left of the address bar
-My main addons carried over without a hitch (LastPass, Xmarks, etc)
-Seems faster most of the time
-I like the circle that spins in the tab when you click a link...spins one direction and is gray when the packet is sending, turns green and spins the opposite direction when downloading

My dislikes:
-Tabs open in random order. I want newest at the right, not next to the current tab (anyone know about that? FF 3.6.15 started doing that, too). Seems when the new tab is the same domain as the tab from which it's opened, it will load next to the current tab...it will load to the right if the domains are different.
-Mouse over a link or when a page is loading, in the lower corner it's a popup, not inside the menu bar (super annoying to me)
-The top toolbar has a sort of translucent border around File...Help instead of being totally clear
03-26-2011, 05:22 PM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by wlachan Quote
Why not just use the bookmark button?
Because I'm feeling grumpy about the changes

QuoteOriginally posted by Supernaut Quote
Why not start typing "pentax.." in the "awesome bar" as they call it. Maybe even type "forum" and get a list of other forums as well
Very convenient.
I like using the Windows menu.

I may eventually get used to it, but I don't like being forced to change the way I work just for the sake of change.

Richard.
03-26-2011, 05:25 PM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ryan s Quote
Right click anywhere in the top area and check "Menu Bar" I agree, I hated the Firefox menu box instantly and had to go back to the old style.
Thanks. That's reduced my blood pressure into the measurable range.

Richard.
04-05-2011, 12:48 PM   #15

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
-1 Changed the method to move multiple pages back from "left click a down arrow" to right click in the tab bar" - not intuitive, and I found it accidentally.
I'm a little late with this response, but wanted to add a tip anyway.

You can also hold the left mouse button while the cursor is on the back button and it'll pop up the 'back list' that you used to get by clicking on the down arrow. This works for me in linux and Windows XP flavors, but I haven't tried it on Windows 7 or Mac OS.