Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-29-2011, 11:50 AM - 1 Like   #31
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
you are right Jord, he's just ignorant. Like i said i have many pro friends who i've never heard talk down a brand, and I generally won't either. At various points I've owned and shot with Nikon,canon,Pentax,mamiya,Konica,Fuji, Minolta,Fed,Bronica,Olympus,Zenit,Polaroid,Kodak...you get the idea, if i haven't owned it i have probably shot it as well like hassy for example. there is no such thing as a bad brand IMHO they have all made great gear at one point, and in many cases still do (if they have survived the digital revolution)
but twits like the one who made the comment to the OP get under my skin and though i usually just blow them off i usually am tempted to make a smart ass comment (lowering myself to their level)

In reality given my budget for shooting and the quality of the gear Pentax is the system for me now in digital. If I had a bigger gear budget I would love to have a good FF Nikon system, but that isn't on the cards. Even more I'd love a 645D system same issue.

03-29-2011, 11:54 AM   #32
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Well put eddie1960 - that's my reason for Pentax too. Best value for money esp. old lenses, like you I'd be over the moon with FF or 645d but not being a pro, and not even wanting to be a pro and not wanting or having to make money out of it, it's just a hobby and quite frankly one I'm not prepared to throw a four figure sum at. Being either dismissive or snobbish about gear pisses me off because it's just plain old ignorance. I respect the guy who can make a great shot with a crap camera and lenses WAY MORE than some knob using top gear. YMMV
03-29-2011, 12:17 PM   #33
Veteran Member

What drive me nuts is some knob using top gear who can't use it and has it set to green mode. I've shot at events with twits with close to $10000 in gear beside me and the damn camera is in green mode. meantime i've been standing there with a K10 and a 30 year old 200 f4.0. they are chimping away, i usually chimp once for light than ignore it until the light changes significantly and spend my time composing and waiting for the moment. I do occasionally make money off it but am by no means a pro (to me that would be defined as making at least 75% of my income from it) If i was 30 years younger i might pursue the pro option, for now I satisfy myself, and if I am shooting for money i try and maintain a market price and not give it away like so many do as I have seen how this lunacy has affected many people i know on the income side. In reality I only take paying gigs that look like they will be fun (so no weddings for instance - I would only make the exception for a close friend for that and then i would do it cheap as part of the gift)

Of course i still wish for a Pentax FF some day as almost all my lenses would be compatible, and when i by more modern lenses i look to FF compatible with my film bodies in mind
03-29-2011, 12:25 PM   #34

Photos: Albums
Well, As I am working in a photography store I really see many of those green zone boys and girls but yeah, I guess the best one was a girl with Canon 1D Mark III with EF 16-35 F2.8 L II USM plus a Speedlite 580 EX II and she complained us that she couldn't get nice pictures. So we turned her flash a little bit upwards and she was one happy girl!

Well, maybe I should say a little word about that she had gotten this stuff from her boyfriend but still, you can't tell a little bit even to your girlfriend?

03-29-2011, 12:48 PM   #35
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by annemari Quote
Well, maybe I should say a little word about that she had gotten this stuff from her boyfriend but still, you can't tell a little bit even to your girlfriend?
yeah, but I beat she was cute and he told her every night how much he loved her pictures...
03-29-2011, 01:51 PM   #36
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by icywarm Quote
yeah, but I beat she was cute and he told her every night how much he loved her pictures...
But she knew better.
He's playing his cards safely in the relationship.

It takes some insight on the part of the photographer to intuitively know what constitutes a good result, and then what exposure settings and light setup can reproduce such results on the fly. Without some of this insight it's quite difficult to help a green-mode photographer shoot more creatively and with more control of his/her results.
03-29-2011, 02:13 PM   #37
Veteran Member

The last time somebody tried to put me down for shooting pentax I said did you know pentax invented the slr. That shut him up.

03-29-2011, 02:57 PM   #38
Veteran Member

A while back I told a guy with a Nikon who was being a gear snob jerk to "f*** off!" It worked a treat.

When he see's me now he crosses the road and keeps his head down.
03-29-2011, 07:23 PM   #39
Veteran Member

I have the distinction of actually kicking a Canon photographer. It was an accident, truly so. It happened while I was training for Dragon boat racing. He got too close while we were warming up as a group, and we were kicking backwards.
03-29-2011, 07:51 PM   #40
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by selar Quote
I have the distinction of actually kicking a Canon photographer. It was an accident, truly so. It happened while I was training for Dragon boat racing. He got too close while we were warming up as a group, and we were kicking backwards.
And I remember being a Canon shooter when *we* were picked on. Heheh.
03-29-2011, 09:07 PM   #41
Veteran Member

When I shoot Pentax DSLR people notice, but don't talk to me.

When I shoot Nikon DSLR, People want to talk gear with me.

When I shoot film, people ignore me.

There is a haiku somewhere in that.
03-29-2011, 10:17 PM   #42
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by KungPOW Quote
When I shoot Pentax DSLR people notice, but don't talk to me.

When I shoot Nikon DSLR, People want to talk gear with me.

When I shoot film, people ignore me.

There is a haiku somewhere in that.
Thought I may aswell add my own version to this (based on experience)...

When I shoot Pentax DSLR, occasionally people notice but they never comment.
When I shoot 35mm film, people usually notice and sometimes comment
When I shoot 6x7, everyone notices and at least one comment is almost guaranteed!
03-29-2011, 10:54 PM   #43
Loyal Site Supporter

I must be lucky. My group of friends include a few Nikon shooters and a couple of Canon shooters. On the occasions we get together to talk shop, there are always a bunch of oversized CaNikons on the table, and their owners fawning over my Limited lenses (which CaNikon just don't make).
We are all about the pictures, so there isn't a whole lot of equipment bickering anyway.
03-29-2011, 11:06 PM   #44
Veteran Member

The usual reaction I get is, "Nice camera, what is it? Ohhh, Pentax, hmm interesting......", and then they walk away.
03-30-2011, 02:11 AM   #45
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by icywarm Quote
I pull a 500c/m ‘blad w/ 80 CZ T* and load a roll of Fuji Velvia 50

killer camera, Excellent lens. I loved those old 'blads, I liked the chrome trimmings on them. My only gripe is with the 500 series is that the dark slide can so easily be bent or misplaced.

when I get some canonite or nikonian leering at my pentax I just tell them that it's just a camera, no better or worse than his.