Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-30-2011, 08:25 AM   #1

Photos: Albums
Gold Sticker Warning

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

Ok I’ll fess up. I got stung, purchased a Pentax film camera on FleaBay.
I looked like new even had the gold inspection sticker. Ahh the ‘gold sticker’ just spoke to me and said this is a ‘like new’ camera just as the description said. Physical inspection said it was rode hard and put away wet. Super glue on the LCD, cracked battery door and multiple scratches on the camera body and to top it off, the camera didn’t work. It wouldn’t even take up the film, LCD did not work, a junk camera. Yes, I did get my money back, but it still cost money to return. I would like to share this person’s name, but I’m afraid of the ramifications. While inspecting the camera I realized the gold sticker was NEW. There are new stickers that can be placed on junk cameras and sell for higher prices on auctions.
Watch out for the Glorious Gold sticker!

03-30-2011, 09:27 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
After a test run, that's the first thing I do with a "new" lens...rip the sticker off

If some seller is putting reproduction JCII stickers on equipment to market it as "like new" or whatever, I find that dishonest. Maybe wait for a second (or third or more) opinion on it, but I'd post the seller so they can be avoided. I don't think that's slanderous since you were obviously sold a junk camera...you're not making it up that the condition didn't match the description.
03-30-2011, 09:56 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter

The practice of putting JCII stickers on equipment passed into history in 1989, so any camera produced after that with a JCII sticker would have had a counterfeit sticker attached to it at some point.
I'm not sure which cameras were being made at the time with LCDs and there will surely be cameras produced that bridge the time when the stickers stopped being put on the cameras.
03-30-2011, 10:35 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
The practice of putting JCII stickers on equipment passed into history in 1989, so any camera produced after that with a JCII sticker would have had a counterfeit sticker attached to it at some point.
I'm not sure which cameras were being made at the time with LCDs and there will surely be cameras produced that bridge the time when the stickers stopped being put on the cameras.
There was a time when the JCII stickers were replaced with just gold 'Inspected' stickers, which meant, well, pretty much nothing. This was in part cause gold oval sticker technology had already proliferated and was no longer so meaningful to begin with.

I'm not going to *ask* why the OP bought a camera on Ebay based on a pristine gold oval sticker, when for one, you *know* it's an old camera to begin with, and for another, stuff's broken.

Then again, some of those stickers were darn durable. Just don't make em like they used to, eh?

We kind of had a superstition about removing those, anyway. (remembering a scene from my store where I'm there with a friend, and we're peering intently at an oval sticker half-fallen off, my friend's sort of flicking at it, and someone from out of town comes in, 'What are you two doing?' I'm like, "I dunno, this one's kind of a leaner, what do you think?" He's like, What the F is wrong with you people?' *rip*

'Not it.'

'Not it.'

Last edited by Ratmagiclady; 03-30-2011 at 10:42 AM.
03-30-2011, 10:46 AM   #5
Banned

the sticker being there doesn’t mean anything. a camera owner could have easily just left the sticker on, no matter how abusive he or she was to their equipment. the sticker still being there really means nothing in the way of condition of the body or lens. I have many pieces of equipment with the sticker still attached, some in good condition, some like new, and some very well used. I hardly doubt that there is any real market for ‘counterfeit’ JCII stickers. live and learn I guess, but you shouldn’t blame the presence of the sticker for your mistake of not checking out the camera better or asking questions about the condition of the camera.
03-30-2011, 05:59 PM   #6

Original Poster
I learned from my experience and thought I would pass it on to others.
I hoped that others tell their stories so we could all learn.
03-31-2011, 05:11 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Counterfeit JCII stickers? Wow, that's an incredibly devious idea,
but probably not worth the effort and expense to have made up.
Unless China is already producing them!

I have seen used gear so beat up that the only place
the original finish was intact was beneath the sticker.
Chris

Last edited by ChrisPlatt; 03-31-2011 at 05:22 PM.
04-02-2011, 05:52 AM   #8

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
I found on the bay a ZX-10 that was introduced in 1996. Is there a different gold sticker used or is this another ebay scam? Pentax ZX-10 35mm SLR Film Camera | eBay
04-02-2011, 06:18 AM   #9
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by Kaufeetime Quote
I found on the bay a ZX-10 that was introduced in 1996. Is there a different gold sticker used or is this another ebay scam? Pentax ZX-10 35mm SLR Film Camera | eBay
its misrepresented. thats not a ZX-10, its an A3/A3000 which was introduced in 1984 and discontinued in 1985. four years before the end JCII inspections.
04-02-2011, 02:46 PM   #10

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ryan s Quote
After a test run, that's the first thing I do with a "new" lens...rip the sticker off

If some seller is putting reproduction JCII stickers on equipment to market it as "like new" or whatever, I find that dishonest. Maybe wait for a second (or third or more) opinion on it, but I'd post the seller so they can be avoided. I don't think that's slanderous since you were obviously sold a junk camera...you're not making it up that the condition didn't match the description.
This is a screen shot of the camera I purchased:
Attached Images

04-02-2011, 07:37 PM   #11
Pentaxian

I have an SFX-n that still has its sticker on it - in the same spot as that image shows. The camera still works nicely which is a bonus.
04-03-2011, 03:06 AM   #12
Veteran Member

I'm going to start storing bananas as part of my disaster preparedness supplies, now that I know leaving the Chiquita sticker on them will prevent them from rotting.
04-03-2011, 04:41 AM   #13
Pentaxian

All my shirts have their store tags on them - that way I don't have to iron them!