Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-01-2011, 05:52 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Ay yi yi, this again.
To paraphrase an old rock'n'roll song:

I DON'T CARE WHAT PEOPLE SAY
H.D.R. IS HERE TO STAY

A reading of artistic history may be instructive. Every new technique and tool is denounced by some as being the ruination of the artform, while the practitioners rave about the new effects possible. Music, painting, sculpture, photography, dance, whatever. Like humanity itself, every artform is on an endless downward spiral from some prior state of grace and perfection, yada yada. "Hey, that crap doesn't look / feel / sound / smell / etc like I expect, so it ain't art!"

The controversies never end. Unlike science, where paradigm shifts may depend on all the old-school thinkers dying off, some artistic tastes never evolve because there are always some survivors who refuse to accept change. "Don't know art but I know what I like", etc. Hey, I like BOTH kinds of photography, black AND white! All this newfangled color stuff just ruins the pictures! If it ain't orthochromatic, it ain't real! DOWN WITH KODACHROME! Oops, too late...

04-01-2011, 06:00 AM   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Eh, but HDR in 645d? Oh Lord.
04-01-2011, 06:12 AM - 1 Like   #18
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Fontan Quote
Eh, but HDR in 645d? Oh Lord.
Actually no.. even thougt the sensor is good its not perfect, hence you will be able to cram out more details bracketing images..

Here is one example on why I use HDR..

It is a 3 image photomatix hdr job.. taken with a k7.. Without HDR I would either loose the shadow details or burn out the white hull..
04-01-2011, 07:32 AM   #19

Nice HDR work on the two pictures taken with the K-7. I like shading being brought ou. tHere is an image I took using a HDR program. I just wanted to get a good balance light in a wide range light condition.

Last edited by stevbike; 04-01-2011 at 07:46 AM. Reason: Adding a link
04-01-2011, 07:41 AM   #20
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by bergmania Quote
Actually no.. even thougt the sensor is good its not perfect, hence you will be able to cram out more details bracketing images..

Here is one example on why I use HDR..

It is a 3 image photomatix hdr job.. taken with a k7.. Without HDR I would either loose the shadow details or burn out the white hull..
Eh, the point is well taken that yes if you wanted more details in such areas, this may work for you. But, I just cannot see this other than some clever functions that improve your snap shots. Realtors may like that features when taking photos of inside the house, or something like that. I just cannot establish this thought process that if a picture has more details, it is a better picture.

BTW, I am not making comments on your pic. Sorry.
04-01-2011, 07:57 AM   #21

Eh, the point is well taken that yes if you wanted more details in such areas, this may work for you. But, I just cannot see this other than some clever functions that improve your snap shots. Realtors may like that features when taking photos of inside the house, or something like that. I just cannot establish this thought process that if a picture has more details, it is a better picture.

BTW, I am not making comments on your pic. Sorry.
Like any tool, HDR will not make a poorly taken composed picture better. But it will help in areas like a realitor. The added details seen in some house pictures with difficult light conditions could help sell it. It sets a bench mark of sorts for future for all people looking at all types of pictures.

As for the heavily done HDR, so be it. It makes those people happy. Sort of reminds me of people experimenting with different ways of taking pictures taking back ing the 19th century. It is nice to be be living in a time were this type of experimenting is going on again.
04-01-2011, 08:09 AM   #22
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stevbike Quote
Like any tool, HDR will not make a poorly taken composed picture better. But it will help in areas like a realitor. The added details seen in some house pictures with difficult light conditions could help sell it. It sets a bench mark of sorts for future for all people looking at all types of pictures.

As for the heavily done HDR, so be it. It makes those people happy. Sort of reminds me of people experimenting with different ways of taking pictures taking back ing the 19th century. It is nice to be be living in a time were this type of experimenting is going on again.
Eh, sorry. I didn't see your pic before I posted. Nice example. Yeah, in situation like this, it helps and I agree.

04-01-2011, 08:21 AM   #23
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
jogiba, bergmania, those are two of the best examples of how HDR should be used that I have ever seen.
jogiba nailed the concept. It should be used to make the picture look the way the scene looked through the eyes.
Well done.
04-01-2011, 08:22 AM   #24
Pentaxian

I will admit that some HDR looks almost like a comic book but if done right, it's an alternative for those of us who can't afford a few thousand $$$ for fancy flash equipment.
04-01-2011, 09:23 AM   #25

QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
jogiba, bergmania, those are two of the best examples of how HDR should be used that I have ever seen.
jogiba nailed the concept. It should be used to make the picture look the way the scene looked through the eyes.
Well done.
Thanks for liking the picture. I only started using it last week. This one of the reasons for starting photography in the first place, to get control on images like these. I missed using my old dark room (minus the chemicals) to get pictires of this quality. I do like using HDR but at times, there will be pictures that do not need its use as well. It is just another welcome tool to be used when needed!!
04-01-2011, 09:41 AM   #26
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by stevbike Quote
Thanks for liking the picture. I only started using it last week. This one of the reasons for starting photography in the first place, to get control on images like these. I missed using my old dark room (minus the chemicals) to get pictires of this quality. I do like using HDR but at times, there will be pictures that do not need its use as well. It is just another welcome tool to be used when needed!!
Actually, I didn't mention yours, but that was an oversight. I had intended to include it in my comment.
04-01-2011, 10:24 AM   #27
Pentaxian

Please do not disappoint me, please.

Get used to disappointment. HDR isn't going anywhere. The over-blown examples will die away, but the technique itself is going to be a staple of digital photography.
04-01-2011, 10:28 AM   #28
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by KarenH Quote
Most people who use HDR don't know how to use it or they are overdoing it.
I agree with you. Too many people treat HDR like they're an adolescent girl who was just allowed to wear make-up for the first time. They haven't learned that the secret is moderation.
04-01-2011, 11:26 AM   #29
Inactive Account

HDR: It's Autotune for photography!
04-01-2011, 06:09 PM   #30

These overdone comicbook HDR images seem to have a huge following from what i have seen on Flicker, and it seems to be the same group of people who are commenting on each others images. As if there's some extreme competition to out do each other in some obscurely manipulative way, which are nothing like the well executed subtle images which have been posted on this thread.
Oh, and i use it!