Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-04-2011, 06:12 AM   #151
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
A nice Canadian boy RML

Since Cory died yesterday (Flattus Maximus) It's time for some Gwar (with an excellent Alice Cooper cover). Seen these guys a few times, never shot them (wanting to protect my gear from the assault of various crap coming off stage)

02-24-2012, 09:48 AM   #152
Veteran Member

been listening to this band lately (and resurrecting he thread)

02-24-2012, 10:43 AM   #153
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
Eddie...man..i love your musical taste.
Glad the thread is still running and giving me the heads up on some great bands i've been missing.

Been listening to a lot of "punk" spinoff's lately...some gypsipunk, cabaret punk, psychobilly and my favourite cowpunk:
Hank wiliams III:
Although i really like a lot his acoustic, more country-like music too:

Been into some rockabilly too lately:
Paul p. fenech:

And experimental surf (although this i may have already posted):
Messer chups:
02-24-2012, 10:47 AM   #154
Veteran Member

some great choices there. i resurrected things when i saw you posting on another thread and wondered what happened to this thread

On another note I may be in Madrid in September (it's on the shortlist for vacation this year) looking for apartments right now actually any neighbourhoods you'd recommend (I like the looks of the big market so was going to try and be close to it at this point - We like to cook a little while we are on vacation - Barcelona had great markets last year)

02-24-2012, 05:35 PM   #155
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Ah my favorite thread is back!

I’ve been listening to Zola Jesus a lot lately, also saw them in Vancouver late last year. Great show and great new album, “Conatus”.

These are some tracks from their last album:

Phil.

Last edited by gofour3; 02-24-2012 at 05:46 PM.
02-24-2012, 08:15 PM   #156
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
An oldie but I like it (may have already been posted)

02-26-2012, 08:52 AM   #157
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

When you've heard all that strange stuff, tried to figure out what it means.....if anything, and spent hours wondering what the words were.....you will come back to to the real music....real words, real meaning.......It'll mean you've ....Gone Country!

02-26-2012, 12:29 PM   #158
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Ha ha...although i'm more Jonny Cash country or more folkish and oldie Woody Guthrie...
Steve earl:
Supersuckers:
03-03-2012, 11:17 PM   #159
Veteran Member

Clearly, I don't own enough fringe.

03-05-2012, 04:18 AM   #160
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Django Django, Devo-esque psychedelia.

03-06-2012, 06:58 PM   #161
Veteran Member

Original Poster
JangoJango Wor
Great!

03-06-2012, 08:44 PM   #162
Veteran Member

nice one courdechene

brings to mind my favourite bollywood album
bombay the hard way guns cars and sitars

Bollywood does James bond

here's a sample
03-07-2012, 09:42 AM   #163
Veteran Member

I also like it when a punk act takes on country

this is a nice raw cover

03-08-2012, 10:20 AM   #164
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Cool! both...Bombay the hard way is Dj Shadow i think isn't it?

More Indian inspired electronic music..although these tend to get more...mmm...rave like...

03-08-2012, 11:38 AM   #165
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Coeurdechene Quote
Cool! both...Bombay the hard way is Dj Shadow i think isn't it?

More Indian inspired electronic music..although these tend to get more...mmm...rave like...

Badmarsh and Shri - Parallel Crossing - YouTube
yeah he was involved in assembling the compilation. it's a compilation of 60's brownsplotation tracks. 60's bollywood produced some really cool films

this revue from Amazon pretty much nails it

QuoteQuote:
Featuring the music of Indian composers Anandji and Kalyanji, who composed and conducted music for the so-called "Brownsploitation" films from India's 1960s and '70s "Bollywood," this is one of the latest projects of Dan "The Automator" Nakamura, Bay Area producer and music master mind behind Dr. Octagon, with additional beats credit going to DJ Josh Davis, better know as the Quannum Collective's DJ Shadow. Every track on this record sounds as though it were ripped from an American or European spy movie, but with Eastern Indian twists like sitars or Indian chord influenced moog licks. There is nothing of the classic, Middle Eastern modal sound, the kind of convoluted stuff that John Coltrane got into later in his career, but rather, Indian-ized American compositional music, very groovy and full of funk and jazz-based musical ideals. Some tracks owe to the hip-hop influences of the producers, with rough, thuggish beats emphasized and laid out over things like sitar loops, flute solos and heavy string and moog accompaniment ("My Guru," "Fists of Curry," "Punjabis, Pimps & Players"). Other tunes on the record hold truer to their original forms, with emphasis on composition, instrumentation, and most importantly, that tried and true secret agent theme, sometimes presented in go-go style ("Ganges A Go-Go," "Uptown Bollywood Nights"), other times as a surfed-out tribal, disco noise ("Swami Safari"), and other times, just some straight-up, Mission Impossible type stuff ("Fear of a Brown Planet"). With almost no lyrics-save samples from the movies themselves-and no cuts or scratches in the records, this first class joint could almost be considered an illbient album, with an East Indian lean towards The Automator's Dr. Octagon Instrumentalist and Shadow's Entroducing. Worth it for any fan of beat-based instrumental music