Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-01-2011, 04:41 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Post your Strange/Psychedelic/Alternative/Unusual music.

Not sure if this thread will get much attention or replies, but while responding to another i started wondering if i would maybe discover some strange, great, hidden pearls.

So this is about music like Captain beefheart, Pere Ubu, Frank Zappa...or post-punk like Joy division, Derribos Arias, PsychicTV...maybe some Kraut Rock like Einsturzunde neubaten..
Anything with that strange or unusual feel is great!(i know all of those are miles away from each other)

I'll start then:

Obscure, unsettling, great Nick Cave's song.

After the first pair of minutes starts one of my Zappa's favourite song "Nanook rubs it"...it's one of the most expressive songs, when he's blind in the Tundra you can feel the vastness...

Pere Ubu..not for everyone taste's...at home it can drive some people mad when i play their albums at maximum volume (i can't help myself)

04-01-2011, 09:24 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Sure I'll play, though I'm into some very wierd stuff that may or may not be online...

first an old time band:

And Yat-Kha, a Tuvan throat singing rock band... here's a video I've found intriguing for a long time, Storm over Asia... not easy to get to, here's the container page
REALITY
you have to click on the Storm over Asia link, and then find the video extract button... which does a pop up... maybe this direct link works, maybe not:

storm over asia
04-01-2011, 09:45 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Coeurdechene Quote
Not sure if this thread will get much attention or replies, but while responding to another i started wondering if i would maybe discover some strange, great, hidden pearls.

So this is about music like Captain beefheart, Pere Ubu, Frank Zappa...or post-punk like Joy division, Derribos Arias, PsychicTV...maybe some Kraut Rock like Einsturzunde neubaten..
Anything with that strange or unusual feel is great!(i know all of those are miles away from each other)

I'll start then:

YouTube - Nick Cave and The Bad Seeds - The Carny
Obscure, unsettling, great Nick Cave's song.

YouTube - Frank Zappa Don't Eat The Yellow Snow - Father O'Blivion

After the first pair of minutes starts one of my Zappa's favourite song "Nanook rubs it"...it's one of the most expressive songs, when he's blind in the Tundra you can feel the vastness...

YouTube - Pere Ubu - Final Solution
Pere Ubu..not for everyone taste's...at home it can drive some people mad when i play their albums at maximum volume (i can't help myself)

i'll play these are 3 excellent choices BTW I'll follow up pere ubu with the peter murphy cover which i think is just as good as the original (though having seen pere ubu in a tiny club in the seventies with David Thomas spazzing out inches from me gotta say live he was better with this song (I'm surprised it's on you tube he has them remove stuff all the time)

and a little from the goth end of the spectrum, I love Carl's voice

edit ; I should probably just park my what music are you listening to in this thread, almost anything i listen to regularly would qualify.
04-01-2011, 11:20 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Tonto's expanding head band is just the kind of thing i wanted to discover THX...i'm gonna get myself some albums

The nephilim was cool, the intro of the song, how he sang reminded me a bit of ian curtis, then it got completely different.
This is looking promising
QuoteOriginally posted by eddie1960 Quote
seen pere ubu in a tiny club
That must have been great..i always thought of them as a live band, a band that has it's peak while on stage (kind of like Iggy pop).

Ok this is a dark-ambient, kind of, Basque band...they can go from envelloping,repetitive,trancy and caml sound to an strident chaotic noise-music sound (long instrumental songs).
"to those of us who are dying"

Derribos arias. This ones can go from this dark kind of postpunk to joyfull and strange songs with absurd lyrics.

Edit:finished hearing peter's murphy version and it's fine, but i still prefer the broken voice and the sound of Pere Ubu.

Last edited by Coeurdechene; 04-01-2011 at 11:32 AM.
04-01-2011, 11:46 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Tonto's expanding head band is just the kind of thing i wanted to discover THX...i'm gonna get myself some albums

The nephilim was cool, the intro of the song, how he sang reminded me a bit of ian curtis, then it got completely different.
This is looking promising

That must have been great..i always thought of them as a live band, a band that has it's peak while on stage (kind of like Iggy pop).

Ok this is a dark-ambient, kind of, Basque band...they can go from envelloping,repetitive,trancy and caml sound to an strident chaotic noise-music sound (long instrumental songs).
YouTube - Akauzazte hiltzen garenoi
"to those of us who are dying"

YouTube - Derribos Arias - Vírgenes sangrantes (en el matadero)
Derribos arias. This ones can go from this dark kind of postpunk to joyfull and strange songs with absurd lyrics.

Edit:finished hearing peter's murphy version and it's fine, but i still prefer the broken voice and the sound of Pere Ubu.

It was pretty cool seeing Pere ubu , I missed seeing him in rocket from the tombs though, but saw the dead boys more times than i can count (Stiv dated a local bass player for a long time, and Cheetah saw a local singer on and off) Cheetah still comes up occasionally. the original scene here was pretty small and tight knit so you met pretty much anyone who came through town)

I like both the new posts i'll have to hunt them down so i can have a listen on a proper stereo as opposed to the cheap little micro system in my office

off in another direction but appeals to my b movie loving self, and i am a giant surf fan as well so this is perfect for me

04-01-2011, 12:33 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by eddie1960 Quote
i am a giant surf fan
i am too...this is gonna be a lot of fun.

QuoteOriginally posted by Nesster Quote
Yat-Kha, a Tuvan throat singing rock band
That sounds intriguing..i was not able to see the vid but i'll try to get something browsing.

Messer chups.

Bambi molesters.
04-01-2011, 03:40 PM   #7
Veteran Member

This one's going out to a friend, who asked for it:

Also, there's nuffin more Goth than this if you sing it right:

Last edited by Ratmagiclady; 04-01-2011 at 03:55 PM.
04-01-2011, 04:18 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster

Bauhaus brought subtonix to my mind...dark deep sound but with a beautifull femenine voice.

I suppose john Denver was april's fool deed. i was shocked . Just after bauhaus it was like seeing Bambi after Pink Flamingos .
04-01-2011, 06:21 PM   #9
Veteran Member

It would appear that I've not yet begun to fool.

Not safe for work, or anywhere malice or stagnancy dwells:

04-01-2011, 07:21 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Great! tavern songs!
If it was not so late i would go and fetch a big beer to sing along
Don't know how or why but the wicker man came to mind...oh yep, because of the tavern song
What a great film and music (the 70s one...not the crap remake with Nicholas Cage...that is good for some laughs in contrast..worse film i ever seen)

NSFW
the rest of the music from the film is quite trancy...i enjoyed most of it (just one i did not...too kitsch for my taste..).
04-01-2011, 07:30 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Also, now more than ever:

This is just what the world gets for making me skip morning coffees.
Attached Images

04-01-2011, 07:40 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Don't know how or why but the wicker man came to mind...oh yep, because of the tavern song:.
Actually, it's probably because the custom of 'April Fool's' is about the month leading up to a certain holiday, which that film tried to make all scary.

Always did kind of have a crush on Ed Woodward, though.

Same spirit as this, though:

'If you knew your history, you' would know where you're coming from, then you wouldn't have to ask me...'

April fool's.

Last edited by Ratmagiclady; 04-01-2011 at 07:59 PM.
04-01-2011, 08:02 PM   #13
Veteran Member

In reference to the Boston post above, I tried to upload a nice picture of Brad Delp but I got caught in virus hell. Why must we have nasty unsafe websites?? Anyway, rest in peace Brad. You will always have one of the sweetest rock voice I've ever had the pleasure of listening to.

Larry
04-01-2011, 08:03 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Hard to say what others will consider to be unusual...

Made a career out of being strange:

Probably less interesting if I spoke German, but the (fan made) music video helps:

More Germans:

I worked in a warehouse with a forklift named the "Lamb of God." I thought it was a religious reference until I met the driver.

Some British electronic music:

And some CanCon, as required by our federal broadcast regulator:

04-01-2011, 10:36 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Ratmagiclady Quote
which that film tried to make all scary.
Didn't look scary to me..in fact it was very appealing..they showed the pagan's life in a much more healthy way than the repressed and guilt obsessed cop.
Great film.

Steinback:
Kraftwerk...i love the "ralf and florian" album...got some kitch spanish tecnopop that reminds me a lot kraftwerk:

Prodigy is great...you opened there some venues that can degenerate very fast into happyhardtech venues that i'm not sure most will appreciate...maybe later i'll post some Venetian snares.Not in the mood for those venues yet.

Bjork i'm sure she didn't "make a career" she probably IS strange.