Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-02-2011, 09:12 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
so people buying dslr usually have little interest in videography

People have Hd-slr usually only take still not video. Right?
There is photo contest, but no video contest. There is thread as post your photos but no post your video.
I personally liking using my kx to shoot video more than still. I am really interested in other people's work by pentax dslr. It does not need to be professional. It is just like stilll, any people can capture and share what they see. So why not video?

04-02-2011, 09:15 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Because video cameras are better at it Still, we have any entire forum dedicated to video with your Pentax, so I recommend you stop by there!

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
04-04-2011, 10:53 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Eh, I'd just call myself fairly indifferent about SLRs and video. If Pentax had never bothered to develop it, it wouldn't put me out at all, but if my next camera has the feature, it might be a bit of fun. I have a little older bridge camera that can do some (pretty rudimentary) video, I always forget it's there. I think I shot a total of two little clips on one occasion, but it's funny what seems to come back to you. (Which may not be much, but carrying a VCR on your shoulder for an image that's never quite right even in controlled lighting just wasn't my idea of fun. I filled in occasionally, though, )
04-04-2011, 11:09 AM   #4
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
I imagine its a lot harder to host a video contest in terms of server storage space, bandwidth, and expectations to compress from MJPEG original footage.

04-04-2011, 11:19 AM   #5
Pentaxian

I have nothing against video, I think it just takes a longer attention span. I have two video cameras in the closet that haven't been touched in years. When it was part of the course I taught, I kept up, you always have to stay in touch with what you teach. Since then, as I said, it takes a longer attention span than I have.
04-07-2011, 07:24 AM   #6
Pentaxian

I have nothing against video either except that editing is a royal pain. My camcorder sees little use. My next DSLR will most likely have video capability and I probably won't use it much.
04-07-2011, 07:37 AM   #7
Veteran Member

I have nothing against Video per se, but think SLR has a way to go before it supplants a good camcorder for the average user. and editing is a pain. Really for me good video takes to much work to be bothered (and i don't have kids so the stereotypical dull home video holds no appeal to me)
YMMV

04-07-2011, 02:08 PM   #8
Veteran Member

I like video. However good video takes a LOT more planning than a good picture.
04-07-2011, 03:26 PM   #9
Veteran Member

I almost *don't* think so, actually. Video means you don't have to pay attention or pick the moment, you're just framing, being a bit ahead of what happens next as usual, not-screwing up, and letting it unfold.
04-07-2011, 06:22 PM   #10
Banned

Stills could never capture life like video.
04-07-2011, 08:25 PM   #11
Inactive Account

Video could never capture life like stills.
04-08-2011, 06:20 AM   #12
Banned

Try to get people to sit through a 2 hour slide show.
04-08-2011, 06:27 AM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jogiba Quote
Try to get people to sit through a 2 hour slide show.

Try to get people to sit through a slideshow period
04-08-2011, 06:28 AM   #14
Pentaxian

Try and get me to sit through a 2 hr amateur video... isn't going to happen. When I used to make my students work, any 3 minute clip I could bear to sit through on the first go, got an A. Some were 2 minutes long, and I had to turn them off, pump myself up, and then finish them so I could mark them. I mean, as a teacher, you have to offer some critique and a mark. But god it could be painful.
04-08-2011, 06:31 AM   #15
Veteran Member

and video can rarely evoke emotion/memory the way stills can. different medium for different uses. and your examples aside from the WTC do nothing for me. for the parents i'm sure they do, but i'm not a parent don't care to be and could care less about watching other peoples kid videos. no connection for me. Whereas when i see some photos people have done of kids i can appreciate them from an artistic perspective. just don't ask me to sit through the video of the making of...
Different strokes for different folks as they say