Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-04-2011, 10:57 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Extra fees for shipping to U.S. from Japan?

I'm in Nebraska and i've heard about additional fees beyond the lens price for shipping from Japan into the United States, like customs, etc. Are there any such additional costs beyond item price and shipping for an item coming from Japan to Nebraska? If so, how do you pay them?

04-05-2011, 12:02 AM   #2
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I think it depends on how it is declared. I've bought 2 lenses from (the same seller) Japan. One was simply delivered by the regular mailman only requiring a signature. The other, was delivered by the postmaster of the local branch and I had to pay a Customs tax equal to the amount of shipping to receive the lens. The shipping cost had nothing to do with it, it was just how it worked out.

04-05-2011, 05:22 AM   #3
Veteran Member

My one and only experience was not from Japan. Declared value and class of merchandise is what I believe you pay for the customs tax.

Maybe this page or something it links to will answer your question.
04-05-2011, 09:41 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by JeffJS Quote
I think it depends on how it is declared. I've bought 2 lenses from (the same seller) Japan. One was simply delivered by the regular mailman only requiring a signature. The other, was delivered by the postmaster of the local branch and I had to pay a Customs tax equal to the amount of shipping to receive the lens. The shipping cost had nothing to do with it, it was just how it worked out.

Thanks. I have no idea about any of that mess. Sellers always warn about extra fees, buy who knows about that except few who live in highly regulated countries. So from your account, I assume if there's anything, I would just pay at the respective delivery station.

04-05-2011, 11:41 AM   #5
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by outsider Quote
Thanks. I have no idea about any of that mess. Sellers always warn about extra fees, buy who knows about that except few who live in highly regulated countries. So from your account, I assume if there's anything, I would just pay at the respective delivery station.
It really depends on US Customs. I think the one I had to pay for was declared as a camera lens but I cannot remember for sure. The price was something like 5%-6% total IIRC. Somewhere at the US Postal website is a document that describes what has to be paid on.

04-05-2011, 04:47 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
This is some sort of new import fee/tax/charge. I know a lot of jewelry makers who buy supplies overseas and now their suppliers have upped their prices to cover this extra, so they have had to raise their prices, too. It went into effect just recently. I've gone back to a couple of forums where I saw it mentioned, but now I can't find it. If I do, i will post a link.
04-07-2011, 05:03 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Ok, since it's been a couple of days, I will post new. I didn't find the link, but found the quote I was looking for. I had it kind of backwards.

The US Generalized System of Preferences (GSP) is a program designed to promote economic growth in the developing world by providing preferential duty-free entry for about 4,800 products from 129 designated beneficiary countries and territories. This program expired on December 31, 2010 and has not yet been renewed. Many findings and beads used in our industry that were duty-free are now subject to duties ranging from 5% to 13.5%.