Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-05-2011, 10:43 AM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Richard Prince loses BIGTIME in court

Appropriation Artist Richard Prince Liable for Infringement, Court Rules

QuoteQuote:
The court order the defendants to destroy all the infringing works--including paintings and exhibition catalogs--still in their possession. Prince and Gagosian were also ordered to notify those who bought the Canal Zone paintings that those works were not lawfully made under the copyright act, and that they cannot lawfully be displayed.

A hearing has been set for May 6 to determine damages.

There's some important stuff in this ruling that will hopefully put Prince out of business (considering all of his "art" is "appropriated" (ie: stolen) from other artists), cost him a fortune (or 2) and strengthen copyright protections for original artists.

Mike

04-05-2011, 11:26 AM   #2
Veteran Member

I don't consider this to be a good thing.
04-05-2011, 12:04 PM   #3
Pentaxian

04-05-2011, 12:47 PM   #4
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by deadwolfbones Quote
How so? Most of what he was doing wasn't even close to fair use. It was essentially the equivalent of slapping someone else's work on a copy stand and MAYBE cropping a little.

The difference between him an a xerox machine is that he claims what he did was art, and thus fair use.

04-05-2011, 12:51 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Why? Prince made his name by taking a photo of a Marlboro Man billboard and then saying it was ART because of what he was thinking and then selling that image to a gullible idiot for $3.4 MILLION.

Prince is nothing but a thief who takes other peoples work, puts his name on it, mumbles something about "artistic meaning" and then laughs all the way to the bank.

Last edited by MRRiley; 04-05-2011 at 01:07 PM.
04-05-2011, 12:52 PM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by raz-0 Quote
How so? Most of what he was doing wasn't even close to fair use. It was essentially the equivalent of slapping someone else's work on a copy stand and MAYBE cropping a little.

The difference between him an a xerox machine is that he claims what he did was art, and thus fair use.
How do you feel about Appropriation Art in general?
04-05-2011, 01:22 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by MRRiley Quote
Why? Prince made his name by taking a photo of a Marlboro Man billboard and then saying it was ART because of what he was thinking and then selling that image to a gullible idiot for $3.4 MILLION.

Prince is nothing but a thief who takes other peoples work, puts his name on it, mumbles something about "artistic meaning" and then laughs all the way to the bank.
Michael, will you tell us how you REALLY feel about this? I sense you are holding back.
04-05-2011, 01:25 PM   #8
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Lee...

If I said how I really feel about Richard Prince I'd have to give myself an infraction... LOL

04-05-2011, 01:31 PM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by MRRiley Quote
Lee...

If I said how I really feel about Richard Prince I'd have to give myself an infraction... LOL
Thats why I wanted you to let it out....better an Infraction than an Infarction!
04-05-2011, 01:33 PM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
How do you feel about Appropriation Art in general?
Appropriation Art in itself isn't a bad thing. Learning methods and styles from other artists is part of the learning process. Evolving known work into something else that it wouldn't have been isn't bad either, but this doesn't devalue or replace the original work. While this work might not be artistic plagiarism in the sense of the term, he was too focused on reproducing portions of the original.
04-05-2011, 02:26 PM   #11
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Appropriation Art is one thing... Out and out verbatim copying is another. To me a crucial component of "art" is the creative process and choices made in composition and lighting etal. A great many of Prince's works simply steals those decisions from the original artist/photographer without adding any or significant material of his own. Further, Prince ignores a primary tenent of the creative world... attribution... If you use someone else's work, at the very least you should give them credit for their contribution.

Btw, here is a quote from an interview with Richard Prince...
QuoteQuote:
I knew what I was stealing 30 years ago but it didn’t matter because no one cared, no one was paying any attention. It was an attitude to do with the fact that I didn’t think there was a future.

Unfortunately that didn’t come true. I’ve now done these paintings based on Rastafarians. ...So anyway, unfortunately I took too many of these Rastafarian (images) from this guy and I didn’t really even think to ask. I don’t think that way, it didn’t occur to me to ask him and even if I did and he said no, I still would have taken them.
Prince makes a crucial false assumption here... that being that when he was poor it was OK to steal because no one cared. Well, it's doubtful that "no one cared"... It was simply that he was so obscure that no one noticed....

What's really funny here is that if anyone were to take a photo of one of "Princes" Rasta works and then overlaid a NO symbol over it and had it turned into a billboard, Prince would be screaming "copyright infringement" all the way to court

For some reason this comes to mind (Andy Griffith Show - copyright Desilu Studios)...

Last edited by MRRiley; 04-05-2011 at 03:05 PM.