Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-07-2011, 09:26 PM   #16
Veteran Member

The more truthful and accurate title of this thread should be " Fox to end daily Glenn Beck show".

From what I have read, it appears more like they are axing the program, not him leaving on his own volition. Maybe he and Palin will create a an uber-right party together. Somewhere in America there is a beer hall just waiting for a rousing orator to walk in.

Jason

04-08-2011, 06:36 AM   #17
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by shooz Quote
How about the BIGGEST oxymoron of all?
Tea Party Patriots.
No. The biggest oxymoron would be "union workers"
04-08-2011, 06:53 AM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by JohnInIndy Quote
Really? Have you been such? I worked my way through college and law school (thus subjecting me to one of your permanent signature insults) in both a union and non-union factory in Texas. In the Union shop we stacked box cars full of plastic garbage cans for 8 straight hours in the Texas heat, and did it vigorously because we knew we had a good job--better than most. If you could hang on, you could be promoted to forklift operator.

In the non-union shop, assembly line workers around me spent most of the day during the last summer I was there high as a kite from smoking marijuana just to get through their miserable day putting six screws each into an air conditioner with no hope of doing anything else. I was concerned to see them with tools in their hands.

These stereotypes are nonsense.

Last edited by GeneV; 04-08-2011 at 06:58 AM.
04-08-2011, 08:22 AM   #19
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The biggest oxymoron would be "union workers"
You wouldn't know John.
You don't work.

04-08-2011, 09:55 AM   #20

In my limited experience of working directly with Union workers for the past 5 years at my current employer I disagree with this statement.

But, I do find quality union workers are the ones that don't need the union. The employees who constantly complain, constantly get written up; never go above and beyond are the ones who enjoy Union protection. The real workers are tired of paying dues, knowing they don't need the Union to keep their job, it only helps the deadbeats keep theirs.

04-08-2011, 10:27 AM   #21
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by designinme_1976 Quote
But, I do find quality union workers are the ones that don't need the union. The employees who constantly complain, constantly get written up; never go above and beyond are the ones who enjoy Union protection. The real workers are tired of paying dues, knowing they don't need the Union to keep their job, it only helps the deadbeats keep theirs.
If you're only talking about bare-bones, do I have a job or do I not have a job sort of binary, perhaps.

But consider, the complainers are everywhere, union or not. The union at least makes sure there's a due process, that the workers get better benefits and working conditions... If you deconstruct the corporate complaint, doesn't it sound like they want to treat the majority of employees based on the lowest common denominator: the complaining, malingering, work-shrinking, blame-laying employee. Sure, they will promote or pay the top 10%... it is after all a meritocracy. The union evens this out, to make sure the average employee is treated like a good worker.

I've seen this all along in my corporate life: only the 'go getters' - who often don't do their current job all that well, but are good at politicking and 'managing up', get the promotions and the rewards. The ones who only want to do their jobs, and do them well, get lumped in with those who don't do such a good job... in compensation and so on. And, much of this is at management's discretion - which we all know isn't all that great to begin with.
04-08-2011, 10:31 AM   #22
Site Supporter

Remember, a union will represent a worker for 30yrs or more
I found that quite often a worker that got wrote up a few times was having some kind of personal problem.
Once that was resolved, things got back to normal for them.
Including their work life.
I hope you never experience a rough spot in your life.
Without a union you may just get fired, making your life even worse.

04-11-2011, 05:56 AM   #23
Veteran Member

Remember, a union will represent a worker for 30yrs or more
I found that quite often a worker that got wrote up a few times was having some kind of personal problem.
Once that was resolved, things got back to normal for them.
Including their work life.
I hope you never experience a rough spot in your life.
Without a union you may just get fired, making your life even worse.
"Normal"? Their "normal" level of meet the quota average workmanship? Toyota makes a better car than any union car company. And I've owned both.

Shooz I've had many "rough" spots. Probably lost more money than you've ever made. But perseverance has made me all that back and more.
04-11-2011, 07:14 AM   #24
Veteran Member

Original Poster
"Normal"? Their "normal" level of meet the quota average workmanship? Toyota makes a better car than any union car company. And I've owned both.

Shooz I've had many "rough" spots. Probably lost more money than you've ever made. But perseverance has made me all that back and more.
And so modest, too.
04-11-2011, 08:18 AM   #25
Site Supporter

Everyone is not you John.
So then you would say others should just choke?
One of your problems with unions is you don't know the difference between engineering and manufacturing.
What American made car had a recall because of a worker assembly problem?
NONE!
Now, tell me about recalls from engineering problems.
You should give back all the money you've made from tax payers.
04-11-2011, 08:26 AM   #26
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Everyone is not you John.
So then you would say others should just choke?
One of your problems with unions is you don't know the difference between engineering and manufacturing.
What American made car had a recall because of a worker assembly problem?
NONE!
Now, tell me about recalls from engineering problems.
You should give back all the money you've made from tax payers.
True of Toyota, as well.

Toyota is also an interesting example regarding unions. There are many aspects of the Japanese model that provide the same benefits as unions. Employees aren't fired without cause, as they can be in the American "at-will" model. Companies provide everything from generous benefits to housing subsidies. American unions are what they are in part because of the companies with whom they negotiate.
04-11-2011, 09:05 AM   #27
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
... but what does this have to do with the Caliphate? Shouldn't we be worrying instead about life in a Caliphate with nobody to warn us?
04-11-2011, 09:16 AM   #28
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Nesster Quote
... but what does this have to do with the Caliphate? Shouldn't we be worrying instead about life in a Caliphate with nobody to warn us?
Sorry, I was out shopping for a sport burka for my wife.