Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-06-2011, 11:03 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Glenn Beck to end daily FOX show

QuoteQuote:
Glenn Beck will no longer have a daily program on Fox News.

According to a joint release from Fox News and Beck's production company, Mercury Radio Arts, "Glenn intends to transition off of his daily program" this year.

The release, posted to Beck's website The Blaze, said the afternoon host will not be leaving the network entirely. It said that Fox and Beck's production company plan to "produce a variety of television projects" that will air both on Fox News Channel and other platforms, including Fox News' digital properties.

"Glenn Beck is a powerful communicator, a creative entrepreneur and a true success by anybody's standards," said Fox News chairman and CEO Roger Ailes. "I look forward to continuing to work with him."

Beck said in the release that "America owes a lot to Roger Ailes and Fox News."

"I cannot repay Roger for the lessons I've learned and will continue to learn from him and I look forward to starting this new phase of our partnership," he said.

Beck has lost more than a third of his audience since his "Restoring Honor" rally last summer, prompting speculation that he would lose his 5 p.m. slot. (His ratings fell to an average of less than two million viewers, dropping 39 percent between last January and this January.) Beck's contract with Fox runs out this year.

Beck's program has still been a success for the network, as Wednesday's release noted -- though it has had a hard time hanging onto advertisers, with more than 300 reportedly refusing to advertise on the show.

"For the 27 months that 'Glenn Beck' has aired on Fox News, the program has averaged more than 2.2 million total viewers and 563,000 viewers 25-54 years old, numbers normally associated with shows airing in primetime, not at 5pm," said the release. "'Glenn Beck' has dominated all of its cable news competitors since launch."

David Brock of the liberal media watchdog group Media Matters said in response to the news that in light of the ratings drop and skittishness of advertisers, "the only surprise is that it took Fox News months to reach this decision."

It was also announced that Fox News executive and Beck ally Joel Cheatwood will be joining Beck's production company, where he will serve as a liaison with the network.
Glenn Beck ending daily Fox News show - Political Hotsheet - CBS News

04-06-2011, 11:59 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
The bloom on the "rose" fades.............
04-06-2011, 12:13 PM   #3
Veteran Member

It's about time.
04-06-2011, 02:24 PM   #4
Veteran Member

"You can't fire me; I quit!"

04-06-2011, 11:22 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Public office.
04-07-2011, 04:51 AM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Nesster Quote
"You can't fire me; I quit!"
Well, considering he lost over 40% of his ratings since january 2010 and has cost Fox News several lucrative announcers I'd say that it's probably the most accurate way to describe his leaving...

Pat
04-07-2011, 08:18 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
*snerk.* 'A true success by anyone's standards.'

Not if those standards include honor. Or journalistic integrity, human dignity, intelligence, wisdom, or in any way leaving the world better than you found it.

These Fox execs need to get out more.

I'm sure this is all in service of Beck finding a new way to exemplify what's so 'funny' about war, hate and willful misunderstanding.

04-07-2011, 09:35 AM   #8
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Ratmagiclady Quote
*snerk.* 'A true success by anyone's standards.'

Not if those standards include honor. Or journalistic integrity, human dignity, intelligence, wisdom, or in any way leaving the world better than you found it.

These Fox execs need to get out more.

I'm sure this is all in service of Beck finding a new way to exemplify what's so 'funny' about war, hate and willful misunderstanding.
Journalistic integrity.
04-07-2011, 10:11 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
Unfair, dude.

There are plenty of excellent journalists out there. They just don't get read because their work takes actual thought and... reading.
04-07-2011, 10:14 AM   #10
Veteran Member

If that's what you believe, put down the camera. Maybe pictures don't lie, but nothing's caption-proof.
04-07-2011, 10:27 AM   #11
Site Supporter

How about the BIGGEST oxymoron of all?
Tea Party Patriots.
04-07-2011, 10:28 AM   #12
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by deadwolfbones Quote
Unfair, dude.

There are plenty of excellent journalists out there. They just don't get read because their work takes actual thought and... reading.
QuoteOriginally posted by Ratmagiclady Quote
If that's what you believe, put down the camera. Maybe pictures don't lie, but nothing's caption-proof.
Geez, tough crowd.
04-07-2011, 10:29 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Geez, tough crowd.
04-07-2011, 11:34 AM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by shooz Quote
How about the BIGGEST oxymoron of all?
Tea Party Patriots.
Just so: the same people who've been agitating for decades about 'flag desecration' (even today in defense of hate against non-Christians) are proven to be the first ones to pick up flags of secession, if they can't use the federal government to their own ends.

Hel, *Palin* had Alaska secessionists operating out of her *office* while all this 'Tea Party Patriotism' was going on.
04-07-2011, 11:49 AM   #15
Veteran Member

but RML, don't you know the Flag stands for the right of secession, with the immortal example of the Founding Fathers.