Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-07-2011, 08:02 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery
Macbook Pro vs Macbook Air

Any body have/had both? What do you prefer about each? In particular, do you miss having an optical drive on the Air? Does the performance feel the same? A friend just switched from Pro to Air with a solid state drive. And he said the drive makes ALL the difference in the world, and the hi-res screen is quite acceptable. Just wondering...

04-07-2011, 08:46 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

A Macbook Pro with a SSD would be a much better option. A 13 inch Air with 4 GB of RAM, 2.13 GHz Core 2 Duo, and 256 GB SSD is $1,800. A 13 inch Macbook Pro with 4 GB of RAM, 2.3 GHz Core i5, and 256 GB SSD is $1,850. And the Air can't be upgraded any further. The Pro can be upgraded with more RAM and a bigger SSD.

The Air is only worth it if you really need a laptop that weighs 3 pounds instead of 4.5 pounds.
04-07-2011, 02:42 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The SSD would only make all the difference in the world when it comes to loading applications. Once you've got things loaded, and you're up an running, the important things after that are CPU and RAM.

Stick an SSD into a Macbook Pro, along with 16GB's of RAM and it'll crap all over the Air. This is especially true since the MBP line was updated to use the latest Core i3/i5/i7 processors that use the Sandy Bridge architecture. The Air is still using Core 2 Duo's!

Buuuuuuuuuuuut. If you don't need the power... just need it for browsing while on the move and have a small stature withere 1.5lb makes a difference to you. Go with an Air.
04-07-2011, 10:49 PM   #4

Original Poster
Thanks for the perspectives. No, I think I need the power of the Macbook Pro, and I'm getting an iPad (who isn't?) which can be easily ported around for basic web surfing.

04-07-2011, 11:31 PM   #5

I have a MacBook pro and love it and they are super upgradeable, and a SSD isn't really what most users really need they are looking for more space and a fast computer and getting the large amounts of space on a SSD will cost you just as much as the computer itself. So diffenitly the MacBook pro. And I have 2 iPad and upload most of my photos on them and enjoy editing the easy stuff on them because there are tons of great apps for photography and some are free or cheap. But for the iPad I recommend atleast the 32gb if you plan to load photos or videos on it, I have somewhere in the ballpark of 1200 pictures, 4 videos, and 90 apps. Let's just say I wish I bought the 64gb now because I've used over 20gb with just that. But I love my iPad and my other was given to my fiancée and she loves her because of how easy it is to use and how much you really can do with it, in fact I use it more than my MacBook pro. Good luck on your hunt for a computer, I recommend buying refurbished from apple it will save you a ton of money on your MacBook, but you can't customize it and what they have refurbished is always changing. If you don't want to go that route, purchase online under education discount it will save you a little and all you have to do is pick a college near you and they'll give you the discount. If you go into the store they check ID.
04-14-2011, 11:13 PM   #6

Original Poster
I should have said, I already own a MacBook Pro, and have had three. I upgrade every 10-18 months. But I was considering a shift to an Air. But I don't think it's for me even though I tether to an external monitor quite a bit. I may also consider a higher revving hard drive for faster disk access. I'm due for an upgrade fairly soon. I buy refurbished and have had good experiences with it.
04-15-2011, 10:07 PM   #7

If you use an external monitor I would suggest a mac mini then you can get a lot of bang for your buck. And then get the iPad and use that as your laptop device.