Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version 8 Likes Search this Thread
04-12-2011, 11:06 AM   #1
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Obama's Father Served In WWII?

According to President Obama, in a campaign speech, his father served in WWII.

Pretty remarkable, considering Barack Obama, Sr.
was only 8 or 9 years old when the war ended.

04-12-2011, 11:11 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Kind of a jumpy video, but he was describing the point of view of current veterans, about a 'pact' regarding America's promises in these regards, not claiming his own father served.

(Why else would he use the first person about said sense of a 'pact' if he wasn't also a vet himself?)
04-12-2011, 11:30 AM   #3
Inactive Account

Didn't W claim to have served in the Air National Guard?
04-12-2011, 11:47 AM   #4
Pentaxian

His grandfather was in the US Army. I would imagine that in the number of speeches any politiican makes that they "miss speak " alot. Perhaps saying dad instead of granddad for example. The wrong words coming out when trying to think of what you are going to say next.

Yesterday my wife went into the vets and asked for Query's medicine and the assistant who was new to the job just looked at her blank but one of the women who as been there for a couple of years asked my wife if she meant Samoon's. Query, a dog, has been dead for over a year and Samoon the cat is the only pet we have left. Just the wrong word came out as my wife did not realize she said Query instead of Samoon.

I feel the same way when Bush was critizited for his pronuounciation of nuclear or Palin saying North Korea as the American allie instead of South Korea. Some times it seems that politican hacks need as much little stuff to complain about so they do not have to think about policies and the results from those policies. I have not listened to the video as am on lucnch at work and no speakers on the computer.

04-12-2011, 12:03 PM   #5
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Ratmagiclady Quote
Kind of a jumpy video, but he was describing the point of view of current veterans, about a 'pact' regarding America's promises in these regards, not claiming his own father served.

(Why else would he use the first person about said sense of a 'pact' if he wasn't also a vet himself?)
Um, his exact words were "My father served in World War Two, and when he came home he got the services he needed."
04-12-2011, 12:05 PM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
Um, his exact words were "My father served in WWII, and when he came home he got the services he needed."
If you took my 'exact words' out of a lot of these 'single quotes' I like to use so much, would that mean I was claiming everything in them was my words personally About personal facts personally? Or am I sometimes paraphrasing some other point of view?
04-12-2011, 12:13 PM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
Most likely a misspeak, and he meant grandfather.
It makes more sense than some conspiracy that he meant to mislead anyone over something so trivial.
I suppose that's quite possible, too. though what I heard was he was taking the POV of a rhetorically-typical vet, in whatever context this was clipped out of. This totally *is* someone trying to spew a 'gotcha' out of something wicked thin. Like if Obama was setting out to deceive, he was so stupid or somehow leaning for something on some militaristic image like *koff.* Some others might.

04-12-2011, 12:20 PM   #8
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
If you took my 'exact words' out of a lot of these 'single quotes' I like to use so much, would that mean I was claiming everything in them was my words personally About personal facts personally? Or am I sometimes paraphrasing some other point of view?
Sorry, RML. Not this time. There is absolutely no ambiguity in what he said.
If his Grandfather served, I am open to the possibility that that is what he meant to say but he was not speaking conceptually.

Stanley Dunham is the grandfather of Barack Obama. He was born in 1918 and served as a sergeant in the U.S. Army during World War II, enlisting just after the attacks on Pearl Harbor.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Family_of_Barack_Obama

Last edited by Parallax; 04-12-2011 at 12:26 PM.
04-12-2011, 12:22 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Sorry, RML. Not this time. There is absolutely no ambiguity in what he said.
Nothing ambiguous *about* it, he's just not saying what you *claim* he's saying.
04-12-2011, 12:33 PM   #10
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Nothing ambiguous *about* it, he's just not saying what you *claim* he's saying.
MY - (a form of the possessive case of I used as an attributive adjective): My soup is cold.
Father - Male parent
Served - to go through a term of service; do duty as a soldier, sailor, senator, juror, etc.
In - (used to indicate inclusion within or occurrence during a period or limit of time): in ancient times; a task done in ten minutes.
WWII - Major military conflict involving multiple nations. Ended in 1945 A.D.

Contrary to what politicians try to tell you, words actually have predefined meanings.
04-12-2011, 12:36 PM   #11
Veteran Member

That bastard! He made his father's service in WWII the centerpiece of his campaign, probably to draw attention from the dubious circumstances of his birth, his religion, and the little pink-o book he is sworn to carry with him at all times. Obviously the guy is a liar.

Consider the thing from the other side: as President, Obama is acting strangely Republican. Almost like the Trilateral Commission had done a Manchurian Candidate thing here, while at the same time bankrolling and brainwashing the Tea Party into existence, to provide a contrasting 'new conservative' right wing as a foil, and as a means to provide cover for the final creation of an Uber Republican World Order here in these United States.

So yes, this is an important clue to what is really going on in the White House.
04-12-2011, 12:37 PM   #12
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Nesster Quote

So yes, this is an important clue to what is really going on in the White House.
EXACTLY! At least someone got the point.
04-12-2011, 12:42 PM   #13
Veteran Member

MY - (a form of the possessive case of I used as an attributive adjective): My soup is cold.
Father - Male parent
Served - to go through a term of service; do duty as a soldier, sailor, senator, juror, etc.
In - (used to indicate inclusion within or occurrence during a period or limit of time): in ancient times; a task done in ten minutes.
WWII - Major military conflict involving multiple nations. Ended in 1945 A.D.

Contrary to what politicians try to tell you, words actually have predefined meanings.

By those standards, (your stubborn refusals to acknowledge context or manner aside,) I'm perjuring myself if I sing 'Born in the USA.'

Someone's trying to make some issue out of someone telling a point of view. This is like the Gore 'Several million' non-issue... some people refusing to accept that people who aren't from the sticks talk certain ways, too. Even if higher standards of precision are usually expected. I say, You're like, 'If it's not '*rural* 'folksy' it's to be taken like someone reading from a legal brief in court.'

That doesn't mean I claimed something about legal briefs. And contrary to what the overly-literal-minded tell you, words *don't* have *pre* defined meanings. They're alive, (if more-deeply-rooted than some think,) and when spoken, interactive. Which is something poets know well, as do propagandists, even if the latter deny that at convenience.

Last edited by Ratmagiclady; 04-12-2011 at 12:56 PM.
04-12-2011, 12:51 PM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I smell a rat. First of all, he looks very young in that clip: I'll bet it's not from the 2008 campaign. Second, given the crap that the right has been putting out (Swiftboat, Acorn, NPR) I strongly suspect it's been edited.
04-12-2011, 01:02 PM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by dadipentak Quote
I smell a rat. First of all, he looks very young in that clip: I'll bet it's not from the 2008 campaign. Second, given the crap that the right has been putting out (Swiftboat, Acorn, NPR) I strongly suspect it's been edited.

Doesn't even *have* to be for what Jim's trying to pull here, but, yeah, there's jumps. Certainly not much context to speak of, but still enough to actually know a sensible person seeing that in person would get it. Excuses to willfully *not* get it, (Especially *given* the context: if one values service veterans so much, why attack Obama *for saying it is expected by veterans that they be treated well, according to how a veteran's WWII father expects as an implied *pact?* )

Where's the complaint, there? That Obama disrespects veterans by saying their fathers led them to expect *better?*

Are they that *blind?*

Especially considering those who actually *do* wave bloody shirts, and *cut* benefits while what... Vilifying liberals.

Which is where, if we *really* have to even *take* this that seriously, is where this attempt at a 'gotcha' *really* falls down. If he was intending to *deceive* people into what, not hating Obama, as opposed to just speaking as I said, or referring to his grandfather, *why?* To what end?

Everyone knows his family history, it was an attack point of his opposition... Everyone *knows* that while he was *not* running as a hawk, he was *advocating better treatment of vets than the militarists did.* Everyone *knows* *nothing leaned on any such claim if it were as accused anyway, so *why?*

What's 'evil Obama' up to, here? Some nasty conspiracy to get elected and ...not cut veterans' benefits? Hrm.

Last edited by Ratmagiclady; 04-12-2011 at 01:08 PM.
Closed Thread