Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-14-2011, 06:56 AM   #1
Veteran Member

FYI. I received this from PayPal

A number of people paid me using "Gift/Personal" payments during my recent sale of equipment.

This morning, I received this from Paypal

Dear Ed Woodson ,

We recently changed our pricing so that all PayPal customers can receive money from friends and family within the US for free. PayPal merchants receiving money as payment for a purchase, continue to incur fees.

We’re not sure if you are aware of this, but we noticed that some of your customers are sending you personal payments for purchases of items or services. Unfortunately, this violates our rules, and we need your help correcting this. Please don’t ask or allow your customers to use personal payments to pay for their purchases.

If we continue to see such activity after April 28 2011, we may have to disable your ability to receive personal payments, and then you will pay fees for all money received through PayPal.

You can find more information about payment types and fees in sections
4.2 and 8 of our User Agreement – just click “Legal Agreements” at the bottom of any PayPal page.

If you have any questions, concerns, or think we may have made a mistake, please contact us at P2P@paypal.com. Thank you for helping us resolves this matter.

Sincerely:

Personal to Personal Team

PayPal. Inc

Thought you might find it of interest.

Ciao`

04-14-2011, 07:00 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Well this was bound to happen sooner or later. the personal payment thing was/is being abused to avoid the fees. Personally I think people should just price accordingly with the fee taken into account.
04-14-2011, 07:06 AM   #3
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by eddie1960 Quote
Personally I think people should just price accordingly with the fee taken into account.
Yeah, it seems to me there's nothing wrong with that, and it has the advantage of being the simplest way.
04-14-2011, 08:11 AM   #4
Inactive Account

This is not news. Paypals policy has been this way all along and Some people have been burned by using personal payments for purchases. I guess they don't always learn the first time around.

04-14-2011, 08:31 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I have an item in the Marketplace right now. Three protential buyers have backed out because I wouldn't "alter" the terms of the listing. I refused to accept their offers because I ahve priced all fees except shipping into the listing price (and always have).

Cuts both ways.

FWIW, the listing price is 10% below the average eBay price over the last 8 weeks, priced here to reflect eBay seller risks we don't have here.
04-14-2011, 08:53 AM   #6
Veteran Member

if it's the a50 1.4 i'm surprised it's still there, I have enough 50s (8) for the moment but it tempted me
I kind of think it's better to start a little high and then negotiate down to where you would have listed anyway. people love to feel they scored a deal. human nature
04-14-2011, 09:00 AM   #7
Veteran Member

I thought when paying as a gift it just makes the buyer pay the fees? It doesn't make them disappear?
If this is the case why does papal care, they still get their cut?

Maybe I was mistaken...

04-14-2011, 09:20 AM   #8
Inactive Account

There are still fees if the 'gift' is funded by a credit card. The Sender determines who Pays the fees. Any buyer complaining about Paying the fees, buried or not, should check and see what they are giving up in the Paypal TOS.

monochrome, chances are pretty good that you are better off that these buyers backed out. They never wanted whatever you're selling to begin with. In all likelihood they are crying about $4 or so. If you want to accept a lower price, do so. If not, don't.

04-14-2011, 09:24 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
My reason for posting this was not a complaint about PayPal or their policies.

I just thought it would be of interest to those here who are active in the Marketplace.

I have used the "Personal" payment to send money a few times. I will not do it again.

Not because of PayPals policy, but because of a purchase I made that turned out to be a defective piece of gear. And, with personal payment, there was no recourse to the seller and no buyer protections offered by PayPal.

I was only out about $300 but it could have been much worse.

I never intend to use that method again. Too risky. And, I don't want to jeopardise my PayPal account.
04-14-2011, 09:29 AM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Ed n Georgia Quote
My reason for posting this was not a complaint about PayPal or their policies.

I just thought it would be of interest to those here who are active in the Marketplace.

I have used the "Personal" payment to send money a few times. I will not do it again.

Not because of PayPals policy, but because of a purchase I made that turned out to be a defective piece of gear. And, with personal payment, there was no recourse to the seller and no buyer protections offered by PayPal.

I was only out about $300 but it could have been much worse.

I never intend to use that method again. Too risky. And, I don't want to jeopardize my PayPal account.
From the purchasing side it makes complete sense to avoid it. I've only done it once and then the value was about the same as what i frequently have in change in my pocket. turned out ok but if it hadn't i wouldn't have been out as much as you.
from a selling standpoint i'd just factor it in to my thinking on the price (along with wiggle room for the hagglers)
04-14-2011, 09:54 AM   #11
Veteran Member

I got the same letter about a year ago. Since then I've only allowed gift payment on purchases <$100.
04-14-2011, 10:10 AM   #12
Veteran Member

FWIW, I got that same letter about 9 months ago but have continured to accept personal payments if the buyer chooses to pay that way. My prices (as the seller) are always set such that I pay the paypal fee, however, if a buyer asks to pay via personal payment (i.e. gift) to save a couple bucks, I also have no issues deducting what the fees would have been such that I net the same amount in the end.

Last edited by dgaies; 04-14-2011 at 10:27 AM.
04-21-2011, 08:04 AM   #13
Veteran Member

I'm glad I found this thread.

I've only been a member here for a couple months, but have bought a few pieces of equipment and sold one.

I've been active for years on some other forum classifieds buying and selling. What stood out here right away was the sellers either adding PayPal fees to their prices, or making the buyer send the PayPal money as a gift.

I've never seen this practice anywhere else.

When I sell something, any fees that I might incur for selling are included in the base price.

I, for one, will not buy something if the seller wants to add PayPal fees, or requests I send the payment as a gift. While I will negotiate with the seller about these fees, I will not pay them as an add on.

If you want to sell something here, add the 3% or whatever to your base price. I know that the fee is there somewhere, but it just irks me to see it listed on top.

Also - when you use your debit or credit card at the grocery store or Amazon etc., are the card fees added to your purchase?
04-26-2011, 10:56 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by eddie1960 Quote
Personally I think people should just price accordingly with the fee taken into account.
Completely agreed. It's so simple, price the item where you want it and at 3%.
10-22-2011, 07:59 AM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I agree that the seller should build the 3% Paypal fee into the deal and that's the end of it.

I've been put off from many sales post because they included stuff like "Paypal buyers add 3%" and "$350 net to me."

It's silly and makes the marketplace ripe for misunderstanding and bad deals.

I'd just ban discussion of "send as gift" provisions in any PF marketplace posting. If the individual buyer/seller wants to play that game, they can do it behind closed doors.