Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-16-2011, 03:17 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
What have you broken, dropped, smashed recently?

We all have mishaps and boneheaded things we rue, often privately... so for therapeutic reasons, and because some of these are good stories:

What have you dropped, broken, smashed, can't put together again, or ruined recently?

04-16-2011, 03:21 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I will start.

A couple of months ago, I put my K100D on a stack of magazines... and the damn thing fell 3 ft to the floor. Like butter on a bread, the camera fell on the 43 LTD, bending the attached shade. I watched dollar bills fly out the window... but everything else is OK, and I could bend the shade back to approximately round.

But that's not the end of lens shades: good or bad.

I take a camera to work every day, in a back pack... I loaded the ES-II and SMC Takumar 50/1.4, and put an Asahi metal shade on the lens. As it turns out I didn't take any pics... but the extra leverage of the shade must have resulted in a bump that loosened something with the front elements. It now rocks instead of being rock solid. Fewer dollar bills are flying out the window... but I don't know if I will be able to fix this one.
04-16-2011, 06:07 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Les: OUCH!
04-16-2011, 07:08 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Nesster Quote
What have you broken, dropped, smashed recently?
Since you ask this question, I gather you're aware of my history of destructive mishaps.

I've had pretty good luck of late (knock wood) although I did drop my Kenko TC on concrete the other day. It wasn't a long drop and I think it's ok and it's my least used TC but still...

Last edited by dadipentak; 04-16-2011 at 07:30 PM.
04-16-2011, 07:45 PM   #5
Veteran Member

If it doesn't have to be photography related, I lost it with my computer at work and slammed my fist into the keyboard and about 2 dozen of the keys flew off. I was able to pop most of the keys back in, but the little legs that tilt the keyboard at an angle were destroyed. Guess when I get carpal tunnel syndrome I'll have no one to blame but myself
04-16-2011, 07:53 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hadn't come across this posted anywhere else on the site, but I guess it kind of fits here. Forgive me if it has, or you don't find it relevant.

04-16-2011, 08:19 PM   #7
Veteran Member

I bought an M50mm f/1.7 cheap because somebody else had dropped it (likely years ago). The front element group seems to be getting looser from rattling around in a pouch of my camera bag so it is approaching time to open everything up to and see what's messed up. Mechanically and optically the rest of the lens is fine.

04-17-2011, 02:01 AM   #8
Veteran Member

A golf club!
04-17-2011, 05:01 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by dgaies Quote
If it doesn't have to be photography related, I lost it with my computer at work and slammed my fist into the keyboard and about 2 dozen of the keys flew off. I was able to pop most of the keys back in, but the little legs that tilt the keyboard at an angle were destroyed. Guess when I get carpal tunnel syndrome I'll have no one to blame but myself
Oh, that must have been very satisfying! On behalf of all of us who have had the impulse, I salute you.
04-17-2011, 05:49 AM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by dadipentak Quote
Oh, that must have been very satisfying! On behalf of all of us who have had the impulse, I salute you.
It was
04-17-2011, 11:08 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Umm, the last thing I 'broke' was my left foot. Does that count?
04-17-2011, 11:16 AM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Tom, if we're talking body parts,I'll see your broken left foot and raise you eight broken vertebra & one fractured skull
04-18-2011, 06:59 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Dma110 Quote
Tom, if we're talking body parts,I'll see your broken left foot and raise you eight broken vertebra & one fractured skull
No problem! The foot was the 11th fracture I've managed to obtain during my illustrious and sometimes painful life.
04-18-2011, 07:44 AM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Several of the CF memory slot pins on my daughter's Canon G5 digicam somehow got bent.
I assume she tried to force a card in upside down, but she denies everything.

It was quite difficult using a tiny screwdriver to bend them back inside that narrow slot
while holding a magnifier and flashlight. My old eyes sure ain't what they used to be.

Several times I felt like tossing the damn thing in frustration but eventually I got it straightened out.
I wonder though, if I hadn't succeeded would she finally start using that K1000 I gave her?

Chris
04-18-2011, 08:38 AM   #15
Pentaxian

I accidently left the zipper down on my Lowepro backpack on one side and my Sigma 70-300 fell out on the ground. The zoom doesn't work right. Turning the zoom ring doesn't do anything at all but I can push/pull straight out for zoom. It still seems to focus so far and the AF works. It's not an expensive lens but I had an exceptionally good copy.