Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-17-2011, 08:34 PM   #1
Forum Member

Hired by a local police department?

The assignment to review their website and come up with photo ideas that display a community based police department... Their website primarily shows officers in full uniform in standard attention stance, and ALOT of tactical training shots. I've google searched tons of pd websites and all are pretty much the same after the same. Attempting to think outside the box but is outside the box still professional? Thoughts?

04-17-2011, 08:39 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
It's only professional if you get paid$$$.
04-17-2011, 10:00 PM   #3
Veteran Member

To me part of community policing is the official police interacting with members of the municipality they serve. Maybe they have some community nights or presentations at local schools that you could shoot at. Are they looking for an image revamp or just some more variety in their website. Maybe they'd let you shadow an officer or interview them and that could give you some ideas.
04-17-2011, 10:40 PM   #4
Forum Member

Original Poster
They do youth community Police academy, I will be attending a couple of those thus week. I will also be meeting the chief and touring the police dept. They are wanting to revamp their image to a more friendly and open atmosphere. They want the community to reach out more and be more proactive in crime prevention by promoting awareness. Just not a whole lot of shoot ideas are presenting themselves in my head. My pre game plan so to speak is not developing.

Last edited by ChallengedOne; 04-17-2011 at 10:43 PM. Reason: Typos
04-18-2011, 03:02 AM   #5

Photos: Albums
You could go for the old fashioned shot of one or two them smiling and chatting to some locals on a street corner. Or talking with some children/teens in a park. If they have any charity events they support, that could provide some good shots.
I assume you are trying for something warm and fuzzy and not stills from an episode of Cops/CSI...:-)
04-18-2011, 04:03 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Yep. If it's a police department that has initiatives and lots of interactions with the community, it would be best to actually have photos showing it.
04-18-2011, 04:50 AM   #7
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by opfor Quote
You could go for the old fashioned shot of one or two them smiling and chatting to some locals on a street corner. Or talking with some children/teens in a park. If they have any charity events they support, that could provide some good shots.
I assume you are trying for something warm and fuzzy and not stills from an episode of Cops/CSI...:-)
Exactly, warm and fuzzy, the problem I guess is if i shoot an officer talking to the general public IE person on the street or in a park. Will web site viewers see it as friendly? Or that the police are harassing people? They deptartment has not given much reason for them contacting me, other than they want to be more accesable and community oriented. So my guess is maybe they have had some pr issues latley.

04-18-2011, 06:14 AM   #8

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ChallengedOne Quote
if i shoot an officer talking to the general public IE person on the street or in a park. Will web site viewers see it as friendly? Or that the police are harassing people?
If everybody is smiling and cheerful, it's difficult to perceive negativity. De-emphasizing weapons (either partially or completely out of frame) would help as well. Slightly increased saturation (rather than a natural tone) on a nice sunny day (plenty of blue sky) will also give a positive vibe.

Choose your models carefully - attractive people also go a long way towards the "warm and fuzzy". Although they may not have the budget for it, if I were asked to do this, I would look for professional models rather than existing police officers (that way you get the exact "look" you want.) I don't think it would be out of line to ask them to lend uniforms/props for the shoot (perhaps with some members of the constabulary on-site to give advice for posing.)
04-18-2011, 07:35 AM   #9
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Karl Stevens Quote
If everybody is smiling and cheerful, it's difficult to perceive negativity. De-emphasizing weapons (either partially or completely out of frame) would help as well. Slightly increased saturation (rather than a natural tone) on a nice sunny day (plenty of blue sky) will also give a positive vibe.

Choose your models carefully - attractive people also go a long way towards the "warm and fuzzy". Although they may not have the budget for it, if I were asked to do this, I would look for professional models rather than existing police officers (that way you get the exact "look" you want.) I don't think it would be out of line to ask them to lend uniforms/props for the shoot (perhaps with some members of the constabulary on-site to give advice for posing.)
That may just work out even better given my options, provided the department can fit the bill. Thank you. I don't stand to make a huge profit but I'm not going to loose money either. After our meeting I will present options A and B to see what they can afford.