Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-21-2011, 03:11 PM   #1
Banned

47% of Republicans are now birthers !!!

The gift that keeps on giving. They are so dead in 2012.

47% Of Republicans Are Birthers

Perhaps Donald Trump knows what he’s doing after all. Of course, the fact that he’s appealing to a base that is, at its core, basically nuts is a huge problem for the GOP one would think.

Update: Steve Benen nails it:

When 47% of Republicans, literally years after the birther garbage was debunked, believe the president was born in another country, it reinforces the notion that there’s a deeply ugly strain of madness that runs through Republican politics.

It’s an ugly strain that people like Rush Limbaugh have been cultivating for years, and now it’s come of age.

04-21-2011, 03:51 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by jogiba Quote
The gift that keeps on giving. They are so dead in 2012.

47% Of Republicans Are Birthers

Perhaps Donald Trump knows what heís doing after all. Of course, the fact that heís appealing to a base that is, at its core, basically nuts is a huge problem for the GOP one would think.

Update: Steve Benen nails it:

When 47% of Republicans, literally years after the birther garbage was debunked, believe the president was born in another country, it reinforces the notion that thereís a deeply ugly strain of madness that runs through Republican politics.

Itís an ugly strain that people like Rush Limbaugh have been cultivating for years, and now itís come of age.

Swiftbilge, obsessively warmed-over..
04-22-2011, 04:01 AM   #3
Inactive Account

Photos: Albums
At first I thought this was humorous but on second thought find it frightening.

It is a clear example of emotion trumping reason on a wide scale. People, including me, will find rationales (however improbable) to support their emotional needs. The frightening thing is that millions of people can cling to such a dubious position as a reason to personally reject an election's result....is the emotional goal to invalidate the whole event on a technicality thereby throwing out both the baby and the bathwater without guilt?
04-22-2011, 04:13 AM   #4
Inactive Account

Photos: Albums
I have two nieces born in Canada more than 35 years ago; their mother was a US citizen. They have been recognized as US citizens since their birth and have lived in the US for more than 14 years.

Clearly they meet the requirements to be elected president (as did Obama's Panamanian born opponent.) Do the Birthers also claim that Ann Dunham was not Obama's mother?

Last edited by newarts; 04-22-2011 at 04:53 AM.
04-22-2011, 05:28 AM   #5
Banned

Original Poster
Trump's Mother was born in Scotland. Obama's Mother was born in the US.
04-22-2011, 05:56 AM   #6
Pentaxian

QuoteQuote:
"It is a clear example of emotion trumping reason on a wide scale. "
Would you believe there are people on this forum who ignored me for saying Republicans lack logic skills? It seems like such a logical debating point. The biggest threat to Democracy world wide, is American Republicans. Not to belabor the point, but, like their Conservative counterparts in Canada, the Republican strategy is not to make thier policies more mainstream, to coincide with the views of most Americans, but to force other Americans to live under a regime they feel is right. Look at any Republican administration and apply the term, regime to it and it fits perfectly. All the trademarks of a regime are there. The willingness to use political power to suppress others, deny them access to basic services, control what they think and to take a way rights and freedoms currently enjoyed by individuals (abortion, health care, the right to collective bargaining ). The only right you have in a Republican administration is the right to work for about half what you actually earn, so that other Republicans can get rich. The problem being, once these people are elected, they do such incredible damage to the democratic process, they inhibit the ability of those who come after them to do anything different. They eliminate taxes and bankrupt their contituency, leaving huge debts and a population dependant on living on borrowed money. Often you hear Republican's say they are giving tax payers theior money back, when in fact what they are doing is borrrowing money they never intentd to repay to buy votes through "tax breaks". Tax breaks composed entirely of borrowed money.

QuoteQuote:
I have two nieces born in Canada more than 35 years ago; their mother was a US citizen. They have been recognized as US citizens since their birth and have lived in the US for more than 14 years.
When Toronto was playing Atlanta in the world series. A Toronto Star reporter stopped an Atlanta fan on the street, and asked him how he would feel if the World Series was to be won by a team from another country. The guy shook his head and said " Toronto another country.. not really... Now Texas, that's another country."
04-22-2011, 07:53 AM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jogiba Quote
Trump's Mother was born in Scotland. Obama's Mother was born in the US.
Seems that for a while Trump also ran into "Birther" problems:

Birther Backlash: Turns Out, Donald Trump’s ‘Birth Certificate’ Isn’t Legitimate - TIME NewsFeed

Extract:

"However, Politico is reporting that the document Trump has produced isn't an official document, merely a hospital "certificate of birth." Whoops! An official birth certificate can only be issued by the Department of Health, reports Politico, and "would have the agency's seal and also a signature of the city registrar - neither of which the Trump document has."

The document Trump produced reads "Jamaica Hospital" at the top and the date of birth of a Donald Trump. It's possible the document is from the Jamaica Hospital in Queens, but who can know for sure? He doesn't have the official document in his hands."

04-22-2011, 08:33 AM   #8
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
A Toronto Star reporter stopped an Atlanta fan on the street, and asked him how he would feel if the World Series was to be won by a team from another country. The guy shook his head and said " Toronto another country.. not really... Now Texas, that's another country."
Most Americans see it that way (not the Texas part). We recognize and respect Canada's autonomy, but just don't think of it a "foreign" country.
It's one of the many things we have in common. Americans like and respect Canadians......... So do Canadians.
Until I joined this forum a few years ago, I thought it was mutual.
04-22-2011, 09:10 AM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
I just don't like and respect your government (and with very good reason). Most Americans seem to fall into the same camp.
Why is it that a Canadian disliking your government is hating and disrespecting Americans, when Americans hating and disrespecting their government is being a member of a major political party?
Quite honestly Jim, even if I did dislike Americans, I don't think I could bring myself to the level of hatred for Americans that your own right wing lunatic fringe brings to the table.
I'll second that!

Personally I have never met a bad American and I like all those that I have met, heck my sister even married one. Dislike of the extreme right wing US philosophy is as stated by Wheat.
04-22-2011, 09:49 AM   #10
Pentaxian

Canadians have always had a bit of anti-Americanism, but, it's more of jealousy of your rich big brother kind of thing. Don't confuse the rhetoric with deep felt attitudes.

And you certainly can't use me an an example, until I was 30, I was a US citizen, living in Canada since I was 10. I never felt it mattered which country I was a citizen of. For those of us who are part native american, the Jay treaty means that border is pretty much imaginary to us, except when US politicians start blaming us for letting in terrorists (as if we can let anybody in to the US ) for harboring terrorists ( the US harbors way more terrorists than Canada does, we should be concerned about people coming this way, we don't want any unibombers or Timothy McVey's coming up here ) or for not being Republican ( sorry, we just can't help you with that one, that kind of vitriolic , biased back biting crap, just isn't popular up here.)