Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-26-2011, 08:32 PM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter

The Best Barbecue

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Last edited by Wheatfield; 05-29-2011 at 03:07 PM.
04-26-2011, 09:17 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I would crash the party but I won't be out that way for a few weeks yet.

We bought a Napoleon with Infrared a few years ago and love it. I can't imagine BBQing steak without it now. I usually have the infrared on high for just a minute on each side to lock the juice into the steak then turn it down to finish cooking.

I would like to be able to use the wood style charcoal once in a while....but I can't see having 2 BBQs in the back yard.
04-27-2011, 01:07 AM   #3

Photos: Albums
Sorry, still conventional here.
Being in the UK, I've found my best option for steaks is to use a small Weber grill and mix, what they call here, lumpwood and briquet charcoal in a 50/50 mix. For other stuff I use indirect or smoke with one of my bigger BBQs.
I'm variable on which woods chips I use.
05-01-2011, 05:32 PM   #4

I don’t know how to barbecue/grill like you pro’s. For flavorful cuisine I cross the river to a Kansas City barbeque or steak restaurant. Speaking of the Aussies I wonder what barbeque Kangaroo tastes like. Does it taste like beef, lamb, or rattle snake?

05-01-2011, 07:57 PM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Kaufeetime Quote
Speaking of the Aussies I wonder what barbeque Kangaroo tastes like. Does it taste like beef, lamb, or rattle snake?
I've never eaten rattle snake (I'd imagine it'd taste like Chicken? Almost everything tastes like chicken!), but for comparison, Kangaroo meat to me tastes similar to beef, with the meat being quite lean as well.
05-01-2011, 08:01 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
yeah, similar to beef, but more game-ey and a bit stronger in taste too.

Australia - the only country in the world where we happily eat both animals from our coat of arms.
05-01-2011, 10:23 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Without a doubt, this is the very best there is. No comparion, really.

Big Green Egg, World's Best Smoker and Grill

05-02-2011, 02:22 AM   #8

Absolutely no question Outback gas barbeques are the best
05-02-2011, 11:56 AM   #9
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
..........cooks a steak perfectly (providing you like very rare)............
As long as it doesn't eat my salad, it isn't too rare. I have always had the same issues with gas grills you described. I might have to try one of those.
05-02-2011, 09:32 PM   #10
Veteran Member

They make a pretty nice barrel-with smoker type of grill down here, I'd take one with us if we could: that and a Weber to do hot stuff or cooking for two would probably work out.

In my travels, I've seen much smoking and grilling, and been told of how barbaric New Englanders are about it, but I'm stealing it all and I'll dry-rub, marinate, smoke, and scorch sauce onto it cause it makes my sweetie happy, so there.

Unless of course it's good Italian sausage or cudighi, in which case, fire from a Weber will do as always.
05-02-2011, 11:52 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

You guys are crazy. Big green egg is the 645d of all barbecues.
05-03-2011, 06:41 AM   #12
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Fontan Quote
You guys are crazy. Big green egg is the 645d of all barbecues.
Sorry, but this thing is the 645d of grills:

Al Simon's Cajun Microwaves: Hand-made from premium cypress & stainless steel

A buddy of mine has one of these and when we go tailgating, this thing can cook a whole pig...

As for cooking steaks though, its hard to beat a a good ole weber with hardwood charcoal. Yum, your gonna make me grill something tonight!

Does the infrared BBQ get that smokey flavor of charcoal?
05-03-2011, 06:51 AM   #13
Inactive Account

The Weber gas fired is what I have and like. It does a fine job on beef, lamb chicken and kangaroo. Roast chicken or lamb gets a big thumbs up from the family. I did a T-bone for the missus tonight and she was happy. It's also great for tandoori. For those who haven't eaten kangaroo, try to get a piece. It's not like other meats. Smaller portions satisfy and it's lean alright. I wont attempt to describe it. Cook it quickly.
05-04-2011, 02:10 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Kangaroo is tasty, there's a good restaurant I used to go to that specialized in the unusual, and the Aussie hopper is one I'd certainly have again.
05-08-2011, 11:58 AM   #15
Ira
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
So far, I've been enjoying the clean taste that comes from no charcoal or wood adulterating the flavour.
Another thing for us to argue about.

Amazing how the top barbecue chefs in the world (by the way--what you're doing is baking, not Q), all use lump coal and wood chunks or sticks, or straight sticks. Many use propane assist, but the propane is only to help maintain temps.

You don't barbecue steaks either--never. You either grill or broil them. Barbecue means low and slow.

The best all-round smoker on the marker for home use is the Weber Smokey Mountain vertical, at either 18 or 22 diameter, using lump coal (preferable to briquettes) and wood chunks. The Big Green Egg gets high marks too, but it's expensive and has limitations in some areas.

But as far as real Q goes, an offset smoker with separate firebox is the real thing.

But I thought that "adultering" the flavor of meat simply means making it taste the best that it can? For grilling a steak, oak adds the least flavor.

Last edited by Ira; 05-08-2011 at 12:14 PM.