Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-27-2011, 05:50 AM   #1
Banned

Male eagle feeds chicks after mother's death

QuoteQuote:
With a crowd of people watching, the father of three eaglets born at Norfolk Botanical Garden returned to the nest at 6:45 p.m. Tuesday, hours after their mother died.

He was busy feeding the youngsters again Wednesday morning, bringing a fish to the nest about 6:40 a.m.

After getting their food, the three were huddled together and sleeping, according to posts on the WVEC.com Eagle Cam discussion page.

"I'm literally, I'm shaking. I'm happy. I'm crying. I'm excited, you know, and I'm hoping he can take care of 'em," said Shelly Fowler after seeing the return.

Fowler is a photographer who has chronicled the lives of eagles at the botanical garden since 2004. She was among several people who stood in Renaissance Court watching the nest Tuesday evening.

"If he can take care of 'em for another month, you know, they'll make it," Fowler told 13News.

A plane landing at Norfolk International Airport struck and killed the female eagle from the botanical garden between 8:30 a.m. and 8:50 a.m.
Male eagle feeds chicks at Norfolk Botanical Garden after mother's death | 13NEWS / WVEC.com | My City - Norfolk

04-29-2011, 04:43 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Ah the story was updated - the chicks have been taken off to wildlife centre to be reared. I guess the male would have had a tough time feeding himself and the chicks alone.
04-29-2011, 05:11 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ihasa Quote
Ah the story was updated - the chicks have been taken off to wildlife centre to be reared. I guess the male would have had a tough time feeding himself and the chicks alone.

Actually, eagles often trade off for short times, is my understanding. A single partner could just take up any slack, this time of year (till the young ones are near flight-ready and habitat's good.) .... the trouble could be him getting through to next winter himself if he pushed it. Eagles are like this, though.