Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-28-2011, 07:10 PM   #1
Banned

Southern storms death toll nears 300

QuoteQuote:
Dazed Southerners on Thursday comforted one another and began the process of rebuilding after a barrage of storms claimed nearly 300 lives and reduced once-familiar neighborhoods to piles of bricks and lumber.
Southern storms death toll nears 300 - CNN.com

04-28-2011, 10:27 PM   #2
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
This is quite harrowing.
Even with the best of preparation, there's still going to be loss of life.
Devastating for those families.
My prayers and thoughts are with the affected and afflicted by the storms.
04-28-2011, 10:44 PM   #3
Pentaxian

A nasty one missed my home by a few miles last night. I was stuck to the TV weather reports all night...
04-29-2011, 05:36 AM   #4
Banned

Original Poster
QuoteQuote:
The severe storms and tornadoes pounded the region between late Tuesday and Wednesday. They leveled entire neighborhoods, rendered major roads impassable and left nearly 1 million customers without power.

Alabama suffered the greatest of loss of life with 213 fatalities in 19 counties. The storms also left 34 people dead in Tennessee, 32 in Mississippi, 15 in Georgia, five in Virginia and one in Arkansas since late Tuesday.

In Alabama, emergency management officials said Friday that 35 teams have been deployed to Tuscaloosa and six other counties hit hardest by the storms to assist in recovery efforts.

Officials also warned Tennessee motorists not the cross the Alabama state line without filling up their tanks first. Widespread power outages and devastation from the storms have likely rendered functioning gas stations in northern Alabama hard to find, according to a statement released by officials in both states.
Obama to visit Alabama as South reels in tornado aftermath; 300 killed - CNN.com

04-29-2011, 08:33 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Glad you're OK, Shiner. Sure wasn't good, this. It wasn't too bad, here, but I was up watching, it was pretty dangerous most of the night.
04-29-2011, 08:39 AM   #6
Banned

here in Savannah, I knew nothing about it, until my brother called from Texas to ask if we were okay. huh, damn I feel strange. I really feel bad now.
04-29-2011, 10:44 AM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by séamuis Quote
here in Savannah, I knew nothing about it, until my brother called from Texas to ask if we were okay. huh, damn I feel strange. I really feel bad now.
Well, Seamuis, don't feel too bad, there have been a *lot* of waves of storms like this already this year, they just didn't turn out so tragic. I'm sure it sounded like more of the same if anything down your way, anyway.

04-30-2011, 04:41 AM   #8
Pentaxian

The same storm front brought us some 70 degree weather and T storms and the rain/snowmelt combination has caused a record flood along the upper Hudson and tributaries. We're ok here but some neighborhoods in the area are under water. It's been a rough winter and now a rough spring everywhere.
04-30-2011, 05:09 AM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by reeftool Quote
The same storm front brought us some 70 degree weather and T storms and the rain/snowmelt combination has caused a record flood along the upper Hudson and tributaries. We're ok here but some neighborhoods in the area are under water. It's been a rough winter and now a rough spring everywhere.
Syracuse has had more than 8 inches of rain in April, we broke a record that stood since 1976. Normal rainfall is just over 3 inches. Just a little localized flooding though. On Tuesday I81 was shut down after a Tstorm. A couple of cars got stranded when a low lying section got flooded. That TStorm spawned a tornado a little while later.

The big news was the tornados. NY only gets about 10 tornados a year, but there were at least 4 on Tuesday & Wednesday.

Last edited by boriscleto; 04-30-2011 at 05:17 AM.
05-01-2011, 05:34 PM   #10
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
We were lucky. I was watching the weather and one of those super cells was lined up heading right toward where I live but then it split going north and south of us. There was some major destruction about 25 miles south of here.

One of the counties north of Atlanta was hit by an EF4 tornado. The next morning a farmer was walking his property to see what damage had been done and found a checkbook in one of his fields. The checkbook belonged to a woman who lived over 50 miles away in Alabama!

CW