Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-03-2007, 04:03 PM   #16
Forum Member

I agree with J.Scott as I too think it's important for readers of our forum to be informed before their purchase, and in the end, getting better results from their purchase. I hope this will help future readers on how to go about purchasing a monitor. Regardless of whatever brand you choose to buy, I will suggest a few things to look out for during your purchase.

1. Screen size, what fits you best
2. Luminance values
3. Contrast ratio
4. Bit depth
5. HDMI, and what version. The latest is 1.3.
6. Resolution
7. Menu features

Here are some speed links for more information:
Howstuffworks "How Computer Monitors Work"
HDMI and Computers
CRT vs. LCD Monitors: Which Monitor is the Best to Buy?

NaCl, you are misinformed in your thinking that your graphic card adapter's bit rate is the same as your monitor bit rate. If you'd like more information, read here: LCD Color: 8-Bit vs. 6-Bit

01-26-2008, 08:28 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Salty, What did you end up getting? I am heading out in the next day or so to get a new monitor.
01-26-2008, 11:04 AM   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I was in a position a year ago to get a bigger monitor, and also go to LCD.

Although my 17 inch dell CRT worked perfectly, I wanted something bigger.

After looking around, and seeing at that time the best price vs size came at 22 inch wide format, I went through virtually all the available monitors.

I ended up with an LG monitor, what impressed me was the 3000:1 contrast ratio and about 3 mS response time. Its maximum resolution is 1680 x 1050, which means full screen is about 50% of the resolution of my K10D.

I am very pleased overall with the selection.

Most monitors in the same price range at the time of purchase were 700-900:1 contrast ratio an d12-15 mS response time.

The monitor also has video inouts and can work with any TV video source as a video monitor for movies or TV