Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-02-2011, 02:29 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
http://www.cameract.com/ - scam?

Hi,
just found this website and prices are shockingly low (31mm limited costs 425 euros). Has anyone bought something from that store?

05-02-2011, 06:35 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Wow, if it's a scam, I'm a sucker. I jumped. I think it's more likely a price error, or they're clearing out of the silver edition, due to lack of popularity. The black version is twice the price.

Paid with credit card, so not too concerned about getting scammed.

Will post my success / failure!
05-02-2011, 07:44 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Oh no....just dug a bit deeper, and it might be a scam. Man, it looks like such a legit site!

Domain Name: cameract.com
Expiry Date: 27-Apr-2012
Creation Date: 27-Apr-2011

Damn....time to make a call to my credit card company.
05-02-2011, 07:50 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Wow, that does look very legit. Maybe it is.. and they just rob delivery trucks and sell the camera goods?

05-02-2011, 08:07 PM   #5
Veteran Member

I'm spooked enough, that I called my credit card company and put a hold on my card for the next 5 days. Hope to be able to sort out legit or not, by then.
05-03-2011, 03:17 AM   #6

A brand new K-x for like 270€?! Please, be it a scam or I'll have to stretch my tight students budget a bit and shell out for a one. They even come in colours!
05-03-2011, 05:01 AM   #7
Veteran Member

It's most likely a scam. Prior to this website there was another one FirstCameras.net..

It's talked about on the dpreview forums here.

The FirstCameras.net site no longer works (most likely due to scammed people complaining), but if you go to the CameraAct.com specials page, it has the same things as those mentioned in that thread.

[EDIT 1]
Oh, and in an attempt to look legit, the scammer put up supposed awards the site has won for best online retailer. Unfortunately, a quick google search will reveal that the awards don't exist. Not surprising since if they put real awards that people might recognise, then they'd be caught out easily. Well - they're easily caught out this way too!

[EDIT 2]
Another thing - if you look up the contact address on Google Maps, and verify via street view, you'll see that 130 Finchley Road is occupied by Phoenix - a real estate and property business.

So, scam sites that look legit with so much information and details are actually easy to determine if fake or not through simple Googling. Because they have details that can be crosschecked with, well, the real world. Simple enough.

Last edited by Vylen; 05-03-2011 at 05:10 AM.
05-03-2011, 05:32 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Registrant Name: Joanne Wagner
Registrant Company: Cameract Limited
Registrant Email Address: cameractlimited@yahoo.com
Registrant Address: 170 Finchley Road
Registrant City: London
Registrant State/Region/Province: England
Registrant Postal Code: NW3 6BP
Registrant Country: GB
Registrant Tel No: +44.0753715261
Registrant Fax No:

Some one should call "Joanne" - hehe
05-03-2011, 05:39 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Lol. I had a company like this on ebay when ordering a motorcycle exhaust. I went so far as to search their address, plug it in to google earth street view, and look at their store front via satellite. The winders of technology!
05-04-2011, 04:11 AM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by WiseOx Quote
I'm spooked enough, that I called my credit card company and put a hold on my card for the next 5 days. Hope to be able to sort out legit or not, by then.
So hows it going with the credit card company?
05-04-2011, 05:37 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Card is still on hold. I haven't had time to do much more research, but my mind is made up, I'm cancelling it. Huge hassle, as I have a bunch of preauthorized payments with the the card that need to be adjusted.

A fact I will share in case there are others out there potentially as ignorant as I about the fraud protection covered by your credit card. It does not cover a situation like this. If I willingly give my CC details to a company, and get screwed, its on me. Fraud protection only really applies if my details are stolen and the card is used without my knowledge. Not sure if this is specific to Canada or not.

Anyway, I live and learn. No loss here but my time. Caught it before anything was charged. Will be calling today to have a new card issued.
05-25-2011, 02:31 PM   #12

[langtitle=de]Cameract is fraud /... ist de facto ein Betrueger[/langtitle]

Vorsicht an alle! Ich bin leider darauf reingefallen und moechte vermeiden, dass andere in die gleiche Falle treten. Ich habe leider, 1300 EUR ueberwiesen, die ich wahrscheinlich nie wieder sehe. In England habe ich bereits den Laden angezeigt. Also am besten die Finger von cameract.com lassen. Werde nun bei allen anderen blog seiten die Leute warnen.

Warning to all!!! Cameract.com is a fraud! I have already reported it to the police. I have transferred money (in total 1300 EUR) and since days I do not get any response.
06-08-2011, 12:56 AM   #13

Io pagato con bonifico !!! qualcuno che è stato truffato vuole intraprendere un'azione legale? così ci costituiamo parte civile ?
06-09-2011, 04:31 AM   #14

Ciao a tutti!
Anche io sono stato fregato, ho acquistato verso il 12.05 con bonifico quando c'era qualche dubbio sui forum ma nessuna fregatura in essere, ho intenzione di fare denuncia anche a Londra, pilirimitillo come proponi di comportarci? Sono disponibile a valuatare azioni.Hai fatto denuncia in italia e all'estero?Se uniamo le "fregature" forse qualcosa ne ricaviamo.
06-09-2011, 05:34 AM   #15
Banned

As long as there are suckers there will be scams. I only purchase my great deals from legit companies.