Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-04-2011, 09:08 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I trust them to do whatever they need to so long as it's advantageous for them to do so. Other than that I don't trust my own government as far as I could spit, and that's not far. The government is not the country, that's the people who live in it, IMHO.

05-04-2011, 09:40 AM   #17
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by newarts Quote
as filtered though personal glasses fogged by expectations, fears, hopes, ideologies, and who is paying them.
Right sentiment, wrong order. who is paying them, expectations, fears, hopes, ideologies.
05-04-2011, 11:24 AM   #18
Inactive Account

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
Right sentiment, wrong order. who is paying them, expectations, fears, hopes, ideologies.
It is a much longer list and full of conflicting aspirations and inhibitions - sometimes one prevails and sometimes another. This largely takes place unconsciously - varying between and within individuals and from time to time.

I wonder if inhibitions are in greater control than aspirations. I think there's a good chance of that being the way much of our nervous system works. We act to avoid pain as well as to provide pleasure and the safest way to avoid the chance of pain involved with change is to avoid change.
05-04-2011, 11:38 AM   #19
Veteran Member

WHAT government.. All I see is corporations............

05-04-2011, 12:29 PM   #20
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by newarts Quote
We act to avoid pain as well as to provide pleasure
Absolutely right. Politicians act to avoid the pain of loosing campaign contributions, kickbacks, perks, etc.
05-08-2011, 06:52 PM   #21
Veteran Member

followup for Mikemike...
Seeming that you are more against liberal/progressives then you are for them.
BUT you do hold some more left leaning enviromental concerns.
Just want to point out.. Good luck with that.........

QuoteQuote:
Gallup found that 54% believed that economic growth should be given priority over the environment, while 36% thought the environment should get more consideration.

"Increasingly, there has been a perception among conservatives and Republicans that environmental regulation is harmful to the economy and a burden on business," said Michael E. Kraft, a professor of political science and environmental studies at the University of Wisconsin-Green Bay.
Walker, GOP reversing green initiatives - JSOnline

Best to bite the bullet on social problems and join the "left"... it is less harmful..
05-09-2011, 06:52 AM   #22
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jeffkrol Quote
followup for Mikemike...
Seeming that you are more against liberal/progressives then you are for them.
BUT you do hold some more left leaning enviromental concerns.
Just want to point out.. Good luck with that.........

Walker, GOP reversing green initiatives - JSOnline

Best to bite the bullet on social problems and join the "left"... it is less harmful..
I do agree with the "what" or "why" of many of the progressive ideals, but the "how" we get there of progressive policies is so off kilter with reality that they are comically absurd. They attack the problem from such odd angles and believing in them requires the willful suspension of disbelief in basic market forces in order for them to be effective.

From the pew study that nesseter brought up last week, main street republicans, who make up the largest portion of the republican coalition they identified, also prioritize the environment over potential negative impacts.

I think much of the problem is that the opposition to environmental regulations has been phrased in terms of environmental regulations proposed by liberals, again these absurd fantastic elements to them. One of the biggest problems is that they are more NIMBY policies then they are policies to address the global nature of the problem, they ignore the realities of current energy demands, rely heavily on undeveloped and unproven sources, and restrict the ability to impose any regressive taxes on dirty energy sources. The cost to the economy comes when instead of actually curbing our consumption and reducing our pollution we just export production to places like China, Canada, and Saudi Arabia.

05-09-2011, 08:58 AM   #23
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I trust corporations less every day.
Wallstreet even less.
After all they were the ones who out sourced the jobs when we asked them to quit peeing in the stream. Not "we" as you stated.
What has PEW to do with this topic?
05-09-2011, 09:13 AM   #24
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by shooz Quote
I trust corporations less every day.
Wallstreet even less.
After all they were the ones who out sourced the jobs when we asked them to quit peeing in the stream. Not "we" as you stated.
What has PEW to do with this topic?
These decisions are not made autonomously by corporations. They are driven by supply and demand, if there is too much opposition to building or upgrading a facility in the US, supply of US made products will decline while demand stays high that demand will be fulfilled by foreign products. Look at oil and gas, demand is very high but US supply is low, new technologies, such as fracking, which are able to produce domestic supply are opposed so the supply will be fulfilled by other countries where they are able to produce with more traditional methods or where the newer methods are allowed. US jobs lost and Canadian, Brazilian, and Saudi jobs created by supply and demand not by feckless irrational corporate decisions. Same thing with consumer goods, if consumers cared where their garments, garden hoses, and furniture were made there would be higher demand for domestic products and less demand for imported stuff which would cause corporations to produce more domestically.

Consumers without principals are why corporations have no principals, corporations are not machines, they are entities run by everyday people responding to the demands of everyday people.
05-09-2011, 09:19 AM   #25
Site Supporter

They are driven by Wallstreet. Have been for years.
Supply and demand are not the issue.
Profits are.

Give up your belief in the invisible hand.
05-09-2011, 12:07 PM   #26
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mikemike Quote
T

Consumers without principals are why corporations have no principals, corporations are not machines, they are entities run by everyday people responding to the demands of everyday people.
Now there's where you are off base.... Products/goods are "created" and then the demand is driven...
Tell me how many people were "demanding" pet rocks??????????
05-09-2011, 01:07 PM   #27
Veteran Member

Government in America, is supposed to be *us.*

The*real* question is how much you 'trust' the phone and power companies.

Don't tell me you missed the Seventies, Mike?

(Things to file under 'Not that F'n hard,' btw)

I'm also gonna venture to guess your demands I be straight or suffer haven't helped yet and they ain't about to start doing so, nor make you feel any 'safer' no matter what you stockpile. Just sayin'. You know.

Last edited by Ratmagiclady; 05-09-2011 at 01:13 PM.
05-09-2011, 01:26 PM   #28
Banned

QuoteQuote:
Days after Osama bin Laden’s death, a wealth of conspiracy theories have been spun, claiming that Osama was actually a U.S. agent; or that he had actually been dead for a decade and his body kept on ice in some super-secret location; or that Osama is actually alive and well, being interrogated by U.S. officials on a remote island hideaway; or possibly that President Obama invented Osama’s death to boost his re-election campaign, or as a distraction from Trump pushing the “birther” issue (clever use of one conspiracy to kill another). And yet, in order to create such a conspiracy around OBL’s death, they are going to have to malign and impugn the US Navy Seals. That won’t be easy.
An Epidemic of Paranoia
05-09-2011, 01:46 PM   #29
Veteran Member

Query: If you 'Can't trust the government'.... Who?

Neighbors?

(Yes, answer that. I need to know. Like you may deny I do.)