Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-04-2007, 02:46 AM   #16

Photos: Gallery
Strictly amateur and still learning.

I was given my first camera, a battered Kodak Box Brownie, when I was 10 in 1956. My first 35mm camera was a all manual Halina - I learned a lot about the interaction of shutter speed f-stop and film speed with this camera, not to mention guessing focus and depth-of-field.

My first SLR was an Olympus OM-1 followed by various other makes. Digital life started with a Fuji 6800Z in 2000, then a Canon 300d and on to my present camera a K10D. The K10D gives the sort of control I really appreciate.

I take photographs but am still not a photographer in the real sense and probably never will be, but enjoy it all the same

11-04-2007, 04:34 AM   #17
Inactive Account

I consider myself an advanced amateur. I only consider a person a pro if he/she makes their living from it. That is my definition and I am sticking to it.

I was raised around cameras as my father loved to take photos. I learned from him on his Kodak Retinette 1A range finder. I used the Kodak throughout my elementary school years. When most kids were playing with legos, I was outside with a hand held light meter and a camera. Yes, I was a strange kid in retrospect lol (I still have the camera).

My first SLR was an Olympus OM10. This was in my grade 9 year. I used it for several years until I took a photography course at the High School. On my first day, I saw another student with a Minolta Maxxum 7000. I fell instantly in love with the AF feature. I quickly did some homework and bought my first Pentax, the SF10. That would be around 1988-9. Around the same time, I built a basement darkroom. I sort of had darkroom acquisition addiction for a time. I dare say I had more enlargers then the school did, as a lot of people were ditching their darkroom gear at around that time.

I have been in digital as soon as it became semi affordable. My first Digital camera was an Olympus Camedia D320L back in 97-8. I then spent way too much on a Nikon Coolpix 990 in 2000. When I saw Canon produce the Digital Rebel SLR, I bought one because the price was affordable, and I so wanted a DSLR. I then moved on to my 20D when it first came out. I haven't seen the need to upgrade the camera yet, as it does everything I need. I bought my father a K10D, as he enjoyed his P3 for ages, but I later inherited all his photo gear due to his declining health. He just can't go out much and take photos. So I now use both cameras. I also own a Sony H5 for those times when lugging a DSLR just won’t do.

I have taught photography at the High School level for a period of 4 years until declining school enrolment and the cost of the program ensured it would get axed. I am still the school's primary photographer, and am busy taking photos for yearbook and other events. I use my work to justify equipment purchases (don't do this folks, it will just fuel any addictions associated with photography..although I consider my LBA well in check). I have also shot 4-5 wedding for pay...and swore to never do THAT again.
11-04-2007, 05:10 AM   #18
Veteran Member

Amateur here too. 10 years using film and developing them badly. Switching to digital SLR 3 years ago and still trying to learn.

As long as I keep my pace in learning photography, snapping shots with care free attitude is always fun. Thank God that I am not doing photography for living, I would end up in poverty and feeling miserable with photography.
11-04-2007, 08:04 AM   #19
Veteran Member

30+ years at it with one year's experience. I love photography but have come to the realization that I'm not very good at it. I've read books, been a member of camera clubs and invested heavily at times in equipment... then in frustration, divested myself of everything and walked away from it for a period of about ten years. My wife's sudden interest in it, renewed my own enthusiasm so I'm sort of coming back to it but without any great expectations. I'm simply engaging in it once again for the simple joy of making images whether they pass someone else's criterion or not of what constitutes a good photograph.

All the best.

11-04-2007, 08:35 AM   #20
Veteran Member

Strictly amateur.

Just got back into photography about two years ago to document wildlife sightings.

Have made a little money at it, but consider a pro someone who makes a (reasonable) living solely from photography-related endeavours, not just someone who sells the odd photo to a magazine or who does the odd wedding.

With advances in camera technology, I imagine it will only become more and more difficult to make any kind of living from photography.
11-04-2007, 08:43 AM   #21
Inactive Account

I'm 100% noob at this photography stuff.
11-05-2007, 05:20 AM   #22
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Photo Tramp Quote
And Alan has a very severe case of LBA. but I have shot with Alan on occasion and I would consider him a Semi Pro. I do love his work. a hobbyist just doesn't do this guy justice.
Thank you Dave. You are to kind.

11-05-2007, 11:07 AM   #23
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
"moderately advanced long-term amateur" works for me...

My first "real" camera was the K1000 I bought myself for HS graduation. Used it for quite a while, took some decent pictures (and a lot more that weren't even that good...). First digital gear was a little 2MP Olympus P&S I got for Christmas in 2000. I used that until the battery door went Ker-Sproing!, replaced it with a nice new Canon A80 P&S, which I used until this last Christmas when I got a K100D from Santa . Now my son has taken possession of the Canon and I never get to see it unless he brings it home from college...

I try to learn new tricks and ways to make my photos better, but in the end I take pictures of the things that mean something to me: Scenery that lifts my spirits (mountains, water, sunsets), family, marching band shows, and just plain ol' fun stuff (RoxnDox's deviantART Gallery). Once in a while I do try for something deliberately "artsy" ( barbed wire fence ) but not very often...

Jim

Last edited by RoxnDox; 11-05-2007 at 11:10 AM. Reason: fixed a link I missed first time.
11-05-2007, 11:23 AM   #24
and
Veteran Member

My deffinitions>
Pro: someone who gets paid to take pictures / gets money from the pictures taken

Semi-Pro / part-time pro: someone who makes money from photography but not as a main income / not eanough to support themselves
Full-time pro: someone who is making a living from photography

Which means Im very far from being a pro, considering I am in a pretty big minus, having spendt a lot of money but not having made a dime.

Amateur, serious amateur, beginner, novice, hobbyist etcetc are more fuzzy terms and not easy to define though.
11-05-2007, 11:41 AM   #25
Veteran Member

Amateur, amateur and amateur. "I have to" take pictures as part of my work (forensics), but I still consider myself as an amateur.

Started taking pictures about 25+ years ago. First camera was a Zenith, a really full-manual camera. It was a nice way to learn. After several years I finally owned a Canon EOS 1N RT (one of the best cameras what I know ... after Pentax of course). I mainly shot slides and B&W.

One and a half years ago I changed to digital world and ended up to Pentax ...

Now selling my old gear and trying to pick new stuff.
11-05-2007, 11:42 AM   #26
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I guess I would be an advanced amateur. I've been taking pictures for 34 years now. I've had things published over the years, but just enough to help feed my LBA, not enough to really make a living at it. However, I DO make my living with a camera of sorts....I'm a videographer for a travel show. So I'm not sure what that makes me, exactly. lol