Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-10-2011, 02:40 PM   #16
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ripit Quote
As the seller will not pay return shipping, the net refund might be 6-7$ so its not even worth the trouble of a dispute or the wasted time and effort to send it back. If the lens is usable at all its worth 6-7$ easy, if not, no big loss.

As far as feedback, there are what could be considered cleaning marks all over the lens, but there are also larger scratches, nicks and abrasions. None are really big (abrasions maybe 1-2mm, more noticeable scratches a few mm long that are not from cleaning unless there was sand or bad grit on the cloth, and 1mm or less wide nicks). At first glance without tilting it to get the reflection at a certain angle, it looks like a scratched up lens. you don't have to be a expert to know that not good condition. it looks like it has been kicking around a camera bag loose plenty of times, and dropped at least a few times (once really bad). slightly sticky blades and a loose rear element, and a generally dirty and rough appearance (the white markings are all brown etc). shipped in an envelop wasn't good either. I think that's enough for bad feedback even if the person wasn't an expert.

On a side note, the seller has 118 feedback, with only 20 as seller so its not a mass seller that doesn't have time to check items (unless they are selling elsewhere). Rather it looks like they have be mass purchasing lenses (13 so far in may), and at least a few dozen more going further back.
You would think they would know a little about lenses (though many are very cheap lenses, even 4 lenses for 15$).
This is a little bit more information than you gave previously, unless I missed it (Sorry if I did). Still though, a dented filter ring, especially on That lens (I had one) means it has suffered some trauma at some point and at the very least, would have me asking specific questions before placing a bid. As I said in my original post, I'm not saying they Didn't know what to look for only that not everybody does.

05-10-2011, 03:52 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I first posted shortly after I got the lens as its poor condition was obvious, so I may have added information as I went (as I looked at it more and discovered more). I didn't realize that the blades were a touch sluggish at points at first and I thought the rear element was misaligned, now I know its loose. I also have looked over the general condition more and more closely examined what kind of damage was on the front element (at first glance it looked scratched up).

As far as buying a lens that has been dropped, I knew I took a risk. I bid about 8$ (though it only bid up to 3.25) if I recall right so total price would have been about 20$ half what ones in actual good condition are selling for. I assumed that since the seller described it in good condition with good clean glass, that the risks were less (figuring it may or may not develop problems later). Obviously it is in worse condition than the seller described it. I still think it might be usable but I guess I'll find out soon enough when I get an adapter. Honestly, If 28mm 2.5 (or 2.8 for similar lenses) winds up suiting my needs, I will probably wind up getting other similar lenses so it will at least hopefully serve the purpose of trying out a lens of that distance and apature.
05-10-2011, 05:05 PM   #18
Inactive Account

Just for conversation sake... A dented filter ring (or other on the body somewhere) and a sandpapered front element are two different things. If he's buying lenses in lots and reselling them, it would serve him well to learn what is and isn't a good usable lens. It's unfortunate that part of his education has to come at your expense, no matter how small it may be. I've probably been a bit harsh here but I see these posts all the time. The "screw the seller, make him pay 2 way shipping, file a claim and leave negative feedback" bravado makes me a little ill at times. I guess my entire point is that some of the responsibility of 'knowing' what we are buying is also on the buyer. I definitely wouldn't let it go scott free however. I would at least note that the seller needs to learn the difference. I don't know that I would paint his FB red however.

05-10-2011, 05:06 PM   #19
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I pulled the trigger and gave bad feedback. At first, I kind of felt bad about doing it but now I sure don't. The seller has recently started mass purchasing very cheap lenses on ebay and is reselling them substantially higher. He got a lot of 4 as is lenses for 28$ shipped, and is selling 2 of them for 30$ shipped ea starting bid, 100$ buy it now. One was described as having a dent in the extended hood that could be banged out (so its been dropped), but he describes it as mint condition professional all metal lens. I know I always considered old quantaray lensed professional quality, not budget. He blew up those 2 lines so big they overlap on the page. No mention of the dent.
another is originally sold as is, but he lists it as seller refurbished (if he knows enough about lenses to refurbish one, I would think he would know enough to see and list problems like a loose element, sticky apature, many scratches on the front element). He also shows pictures of the mounts and gives a description of how to tell if thats your mount further supporting that he is knowledgeable (or wishes to be perceived as it anyway).

I didn't go digging further to see what he is flipping and how the descriptions vary (my curiosity has been satisfied), but I would say that is enough to satisfy me that he is intentionally describing them better than they are.
His completed auctions look like the typical overpriced seller. 40 items that didn't sell and a couple that sold for much more than they are worth.

05-10-2011, 05:44 PM   #20
Inactive Account

Well, then again, some sellers are just plain a$$holes. I'm sure you considered everything before pulling the trigger on the feedback. I flip lenses and cameras all the time for profit but I know what I'm selling and disclose everything I can. I also inspect everything I sell before sending it Just in case, I missed something. There Have been instances where I've missed something and had to refund money (before shipping) as a result. I doubt the buyers were very happy about not getting what they wanted but were likely relieved in the end they didn't pay for a pig of a product.

Here's why I'm a bit sensitive to it though.

A couple years ago I sold a Pentax 67 (not 6x7) on ebay. I got a good price for it and for what it was, the buyer got a bargain. Meaning I got my money out of it and a few extra. He got the camera and immediately left negative feedback. No contact of any problems, not a single attempt to resolve anything. His problem? The Shutter didn't work. His REAL problem? You have to load film in that camera in order to Set and Fire the shutter. So the issue was the dumbass didn't read the instructions or make any attempt to learn to use the camera. Just assumed I had sold (knowingly) a defective product.

05-10-2011, 05:53 PM   #21
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by JeffJS Quote
Just for conversation sake... A dented filter ring (or other on the body somewhere) and a sandpapered front element are two different things. If he's buying lenses in lots and reselling them, it would serve him well to learn what is and isn't a good usable lens. It's unfortunate that part of his education has to come at your expense, no matter how small it may be. I've probably been a bit harsh here but I see these posts all the time. The "screw the seller, make him pay 2 way shipping, file a claim and leave negative feedback" bravado makes me a little ill at times. I guess my entire point is that some of the responsibility of 'knowing' what we are buying is also on the buyer. I definitely wouldn't let it go scott free however. I would at least note that the seller needs to learn the difference. I don't know that I would paint his FB red however.

Truth be told, I have never left negative (or even neutral) feedback before and I have bought quite a few items on ebay. I think this guy deserved it though. I am convinced he is intentionally describing items better than they are. Maybe I am being over critical but shipping a lens in a padded envelop to make more profit on shipping is a bit beyond reason too. I am sorry that it sold cheap (sorry for him, not for me), but thats the way it goes sometimes if you start it at 99 cents and it condition is questionable (like a dent). I think he is trying another approach as his starting prices are plenty high now. Regardless, I paid 12.50 for priority shipping (I would have rather economy shipping would have been available). It could have been shipped in a box (estimating 2lbs), with 100$ insurance and delivery conformation for about 8.50 (still a 4$ profit), but he had to get that couple of extra bucks shipping it in an envelope.

Shipping is bad for buyers and sellers, but if the problem is completely the sellers fault and even seems to be intentional, I don't think him paying shipping both ways is out of line. A buyer shouldn't really have to eat shipping (its more difficult when shipping is much more than the item) if it was totally the sellers fault and seems to be intentional. I could see splitting the loss if it was a misunderstanding (seller eats original shipping, buyer eats return shipping, or even the buyer eating all shipping if it was buyers remorse or his problem. I have got burned on ebay before (I'm about to get burned in a couple of days I think), but it was my fault (half didn't research it enough, half buyers remorse). If it is as described, resonably shipped etc, the seller gets good feedback. Come to think of it, I did get a little burned on some movies a while back but the seller mad it right so I gave good feedback on all items except no feedback on one (didn't want to give good feedback but didn't really deserve bad feedback as he made it right).
05-10-2011, 05:58 PM   #22
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Well, then again, some sellers are just plain a$$holes. I'm sure you considered everything before pulling the trigger on the feedback. I flip lenses and cameras all the time for profit but I know what I'm selling and disclose everything I can. I also inspect everything I sell before sending it Just in case, I missed something. There Have been instances where I've missed something and had to refund money (before shipping) as a result. I doubt the buyers were very happy about not getting what they wanted but were likely relieved in the end they didn't pay for a pig of a product.

Here's why I'm a bit sensitive to it though.

A couple years ago I sold a Pentax 67 (not 6x7) on ebay. I got a good price for it and for what it was, the buyer got a bargain. Meaning I got my money out of it and a few extra. He got the camera and immediately left negative feedback. No contact of any problems, not a single attempt to resolve anything. His problem? The Shutter didn't work. His REAL problem? You have to load film in that camera in order to Set and Fire the shutter. So the issue was the dumbass didn't read the instructions or make any attempt to learn to use the camera. Just assumed I had sold (knowingly) a defective product.

Yea the responsible thing to do is at least contact the seller and give them a chance. I contacted him 3 times so he had his chance. It was more of a I'll describe my items better for people that don't look at the pictures with a response of I did look at them and did so again just now, and they are bury, too dark or both in all the areas of damage etc. kind of exchange though.

05-10-2011, 06:17 PM   #23
Inactive Account

Truth be told, I have never left negative (or even neutral) feedback before and I have bought quite a few items on ebay. I think this guy deserved it though. I am convinced he is intentionally describing items better than they are. Maybe I am being over critical but shipping a lens in a padded envelop to make more profit on shipping is a bit beyond reason too. I am sorry that it sold cheap (sorry for him, not for me), but thats the way it goes sometimes if you start it at 99 cents and it condition is questionable (like a dent). I think he is trying another approach as his starting prices are plenty high now. Regardless, I paid 12.50 for priority shipping (I would have rather economy shipping would have been available). It could have been shipped in a box (estimating 2lbs), with 100$ insurance and delivery conformation for about 8.50 (still a 4$ profit), but he had to get that couple of extra bucks shipping it in an envelope.

Shipping is bad for buyers and sellers, but if the problem is completely the sellers fault and even seems to be intentional, I don't think him paying shipping both ways is out of line. A buyer shouldn't really have to eat shipping (its more difficult when shipping is much more than the item) if it was totally the sellers fault and seems to be intentional. I could see splitting the loss if it was a misunderstanding (seller eats original shipping, buyer eats return shipping, or even the buyer eating all shipping if it was buyers remorse or his problem. I have got burned on ebay before (I'm about to get burned in a couple of days I think), but it was my fault (half didn't research it enough, half buyers remorse). If it is as described, resonably shipped etc, the seller gets good feedback. Come to think of it, I did get a little burned on some movies a while back but the seller mad it right so I gave good feedback on all items except no feedback on one (didn't want to give good feedback but didn't really deserve bad feedback as he made it right).
Yea the responsible thing to do is at least contact the seller and give them a chance. I contacted him 3 times so he had his chance. It was more of a I'll describe my items better for people that don't look at the pictures with a response of I did look at them and did so again just now, and they are bury, too dark or both in all the areas of damage etc. kind of exchange though.
I have no doubts you gave ample opportunity to work things out even to a mutual benefit. $12.50 for continental USA shipping, priority is way excessive, especially when the boxes are free. The $12.50 padded envelope is unacceptable. I've been on ebay since 1999 and I've had problems with 4 sellers tops. I still have their addresses and if I ever meet up with one of them, especially the Louisiana preacher, I'm going to have a little chat with them using the business end of a Louisville slugger (it's fun to think about anyway).

Better luck with your next purchases. LBA is a bitch sometimes

05-15-2011, 03:42 AM   #24
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

OP paid a POS price, and got a POS lens. Move on, bad karma goes both ways.

Save up and buy a decent lens instead of hovering around the edge of the scummy pond trying to skim a rolls/royce off somebody who doesn't know its true value. These "bargains" are just an internet myth.

Just my opinion, no insult intended, YMMV
05-15-2011, 07:43 AM   #25
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by keithlester Quote

Save up and buy a decent lens instead of hovering around the edge of the scummy pond trying to skim a rolls/royce off somebody who doesn't know its true value. These "bargains" are just an internet myth.

Are they Really?

That's news to me. You might want to take the time and explain that. Then tell me how I managed my FA77 for $375, my K30 f2.8 for free, and a few other 'mythical' bargains.

They may be rare these days but they certainly do exist.

05-15-2011, 10:08 AM   #26
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Are they Really?

That's news to me. You might want to take the time and explain that. Then tell me how I managed my FA77 for $375, my K30 f2.8 for free, and a few other 'mythical' bargains.

They may be rare these days but they certainly do exist.

$375 is not $3.50, and I was generalizing. I did add YMMV, your mileage may vary.

Too many people get ripped-off trying to score a bargain on the internet. My experience is that what looks too good to be true, is generally too good to be true. OP has apparently found this out the hard way.
05-15-2011, 02:16 PM   #27
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by keithlester Quote

No insult taken. I have to disagree to a point. You are right that if you hover around these bottom of the barrel auctions you are eventually going to get burned. I have gotten burned a few times (due to the particular circumstances each time, I didn't feel any deserved bad feedback). I have gotten many good deals though (some super hot deals). The good deals have far out weighed the bad ones If its my fault and or I know its a risky purchase like a poorly described as it item, then if I get burned, I write it off and move on. If its an honest mistake by the seller, and they take measures to make it right, then again, no harm, no foul. I just bought a set of lenses that were full of fungus. Seller said full refund, toss the lenses. I of course gave sterling feedback. I just bought a sony vcl-dh2637 lens for 8.50 shipped off ebay in pristine condition. Sony's parts department (its discontinued) wants 177$ for it.

forgive the bold type, I cut and pasted the model number and now can not get rid of it.

This lens was 15$ shipped (he profited a lot on shipping) and I always consider the total price anyway. Truth be told, the lens is almost worth it (I think it is going to turn out to be functional enough for now). I mainly just want to see if a 28mm 2.5 (or 2.8) will suit my needs, and if it does I'll probably eventually get a better lens or two or one in better condition (if it wont suit my needs I'm not out much money). This lens is selling for 40-50$ (in excellent condition, most with caps, case or both). I know I paid less than market value but if its described in good condition with good clean class, you would expect a usable lens (this one is borderline).
My main issue with the seller is I felt that he very intentionally described it in much better condition than it was and hid damage in the photos (any that would have shown damage were out of focus or very dark where the damage was). When I contacted him, he was very arrogant. Seeing his other listings, he is defiantly misrepresenting the things he sells (its provable). He bought 4 lenses for 17$, one as is described with a dent in the front. He is reselling it for 5 times the starting price, about 14 times the price buy it now, and described it in mint condition (no mention of the dent and the serial numbers match).

05-15-2011, 02:46 PM   #28
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Here is a good one for you. ricoh rikenon 1:2 50mm camera lens g (no idea what the g means). good physical condition with normal signs of use. no scratches, dust or fungus and the shutter is in working order.
3 pictures, top, bottom and side, nice and bright and clear focus in his pictures. Glass looks excellent as does the shutter (the pictures are clear enough with a wide enough depth of field you can see the shutter blades from front and back clearly. side looks clean (nice white lettering, no major paint loss).

Price it was won for, 1.04, 5.99 shipping.

All I can guess, is don't end your auctions in the middle of the night and tell what mount it is for (it's amazing how many lenses are listed without the mount identified but at least this one had a pic of the mount). Well see how it is when it arrives. It looks like k mount too me (if I made a mistake, my fault not his so I burned myself). Is 7$ shipped for a lens risky enough for you, lol!!! It looks like it has the ricoh pin (I guess a little minor surgery will be in order).

Last edited by ripit; 05-15-2011 at 03:20 PM.
05-16-2011, 04:27 AM   #29
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I was poking around on toolhaus and checked my own. Turns out I lied (or actually forgot about one other time I gave negative feedback). It was totally justified though. 3 weeks with no item, bad tracking and 1 week with no response from the seller. Feedback was 100% but all of a sudden a whole bunch of negatives started showing up, because no one was getting their items. Filed a case and there was only one response the seller gave to ebay (and then stopped responding to them too). Tracking was given again but it was the same non working number. After they quit responding to ebay I negged along with every one else. Honestly I would have rather had the items and would have probably given a neutral since I eventually got them, but I don't think there was any chance they would actually get shipped. The persons feedback went from 100% to something like 68% before their account got suspended. I had forgotten about that one but I'm thinking pretty much anyone would consider negative feedback justified in that circumstance.
05-16-2011, 04:51 AM   #30
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Completely agree with you giving neg feedback. Just the original post sounded like you were surprised/hurt that a $3.50 lens turned out to be a dud. There is a scummy pond of nasty people intent on taking your money and not caring what you get for it. As time goes on, it only gets worse.
Most of the good lenses already have a good home, and are no longer being given away cheap. I suggest you forget about it now and move on. While you focus on bad things in the past, you can sometimes fail to see great things on the horizon. Who knows, your next lens may come from the marketplace on this forum. I've purchased here and been quite lucky.
Hope your next lens is a good-un.