Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-05-2007, 12:13 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery
Good photo magazines. and on line courses

Hey all,

Anybody recommend any of the photgraphy magazines as stuff you should read, or are they all considered just good for casual reading?

I am interested in subscribing to one of them. They sell on the shelves here for US$11 a pop, so subscribing would be cheaper for me, even though the shipping cost would be high. Any of them stand out enough that you would recommend an amateur like me getting them for a read? Or am I just better off surfing the web like I do right now?

Also do you know any good (and affordable) online schools for photography? I have an idea of photography so to speak, but never learned the basics as I should of the camera ( kinda figured most of it out) and also of composition and so on. There are no schools here that teach it, so online is the only way to go for me.

Thanks for any suggestions.

D

11-05-2007, 04:47 PM   #2
Inactive Account

Hi D.;
I can suggest Shutterbug magazine. I started buying it a few years ago and, like you, realized that I could save about 50% if I subscribed and had it mailed to me each month. I always find something useful between the covers. There are articles for both the amateur and the pro. Of course there are ads but I don't mind gawking at photographic equipment. Their website has lots of stuff but nothing beats holding the magazine in your hands and reading it when and where ever you want.

Hopefully someone else can suggest the on-line course you are asking about; I am sorry but I can't help you with that.
11-05-2007, 05:45 PM   #3

Original Poster
Thanks Jeff,

I actually buy Shutterbug and Popular Photography off of the shelves when i can find them, and actually think I prefer Shutterbug, but I know that there are others out there that the bookstores here fail to bring in. so all suggestions are welcome.

The reason I ask these questions is to progress and get better. I am at a stage where I think I need reinforcement and new knowledge. I am basically self taught and have learned from trial and error and people on the forums such as yourself, but I guess i need to dig into something, or have to do it to progress. So looking for my inspiration.

D
11-05-2007, 10:09 PM   #4
Inactive Account

Hello D, I have just started to receive Pop Photo(monthly) and American Photo(Bi-monthly) for which the subscription was around $NZ42 for both for a year vs $12 for each copy at the local bookshop. I enjoy the reading and tips in both.

Stew

11-06-2007, 12:07 AM   #5

Black and white photography (UK) seems like on of the few to offer consistently good and interesting content. Less gear talk and more actual photography and discussion of art and projects.
All Magazines: Black and White Photography @ GMC Publications
(That cover is atypical, there is rarely nude work in the mag.) It is about to change editors though and I haven't seen an issue with the new editor. I've been buying if off and on for a few years and always enjoy each issue I get.
11-07-2007, 07:37 PM   #6

Original Poster
Thanks guys for the suggestions on the magazines.

I have been doing a bit of research for the online photo course and came acroos these:

MLK Studios

Ashworth University

And this free one:

morguefile.com Where photo reference lives.

I am obviously going to consider the free one, but just curious if anyone has done any of the other two courses, or even something else online?

thanks

D
11-08-2007, 05:40 AM   #7
Veteran Member

morning......when i went digital after a long retreat frm photography to focus on painting, i immediately detected a vast difference frm film so i took a course from NYIP, there is mailing involved in the submission of assignments primarily because they also teach you about scanning, scanning resolutions for various outputs, printing, etc.......i found th course to be technically sound and well put together....cost was approx 800, and they have a payment plan if one wishes to use that. they are on the web so you can chk them out if you like.
as for magazines........don't know what criteria you are seeking there, i read things like 'Nature Photographer' nice publication out of Canada, very " green ".....photolife.....Lenswork, which focus's on b&W....all the above have web sites for partial use w/o membership so you can scan those if you care to.....gl and enjoy

11-29-2007, 07:28 PM   #8

The only photography magazine I've ever learned anything from is the UK magazine, Practical Photography. I browse the others but they seem to be nothing but ads and the articles are less than useful. I've found it at Barnes and Noble and I'm sure you'd be able to find it online. I HIGHLY reccomend it.
11-29-2007, 07:37 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Three magazines on my desk now. All are UK magazines, the part I hate I get them a month later at B&N. they are Digital SLR User, Digital Photgrapher & Digital Camera. I also get Pop Photo. I really enjoy the UK magz much better as far as content. But again, they don;t get here until the new ones are out there and the cost about $12.00 each. I keep thinking about get subscribition to see if it would be worth it. Oh the other thing that annoys me everything in pounds. I am to lazy to figure out the conversion.

Practical Photo as well is one I like.