Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-20-2011, 07:05 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
May 21st "Rapture" believers failing parental responsibilities

While these people, who believe Harold Camping's "Rapture and Beginning of the End of the World" prediction are completely free to believe what they want, that does not relieve them of their responsibility to and for their children.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/05/20/us/20rapture.html?_r=1&hp=&pagewanted=all

One of the parents in this story actually quit her job and neither believes their kids are going to go with them because they don't believe the "end of the world" prediction.

QuoteQuote:
... two years ago ... Abby Haddad Carson, left her job as a nurse to “sound the trumpet” on mission trips with her husband, Robert, handing out tracts. They stopped working on their house and saving for college.
QuoteQuote:
“My mom has told me directly that I’m not going to get into heaven,” Grace Haddad, 16, said. “At first it was really upsetting, but it’s what she honestly believes.”
QuoteQuote:
“I have mixed feelings,” Ms. Haddad Carson said. “I’m very excited about the Lord’s return, but I’m fearful that my children might get left behind. But you have to accept God’s will.”
Given these statements, I can't believe they love these kids much or they would have made extensive preparations for them just in case they didn't go along with them to wherever they are going to go... or preparing for the possibility that the prediction, like all others before it, has been wrong.

To me these (and doubtless many others in similar situations) are perhaps the most selfish and self absorbed people on the planet. Maybe the kids will get lucky and their parents will actually disappear on Saturday. They'd probably be better off...

Mike

Last edited by MRRiley; 05-20-2011 at 09:35 AM. Reason: danged typos
05-20-2011, 07:12 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Or maybe the kids are the lucky ones and will disappear Saturday, leaving the parents facing their own illusions.
05-20-2011, 07:13 AM   #3
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by MRRiley Quote
To me these (and doubtless many others in similar situations) are perhaps the most selfish and self absorbed people on the planet. Maybe the kids will get lucky and their parents will disappear on Saturday. They'd probably will be better off...
Those children would most certainly be better off IMO. Sadly, come Sunday, they will still be stuck with the same parents.
05-20-2011, 07:15 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Nesster Quote
Or maybe the kids are the lucky ones and will disappear Saturday, leaving the parents facing their own illusions.
THAT would be a good twist on the scenario!

QuoteOriginally posted by dgaies Quote
Those children would most certainly be better off IMO. Sadly, come Sunday, they will still be stuck with the same parents.
Frankly, if we (in the U.S.) don't awake on Saturday morning to non-stop news coverage of widening catastrophic earthquakes from New Zealand to India (since 6pm Saturday evening is 1am U.S. East Coast time) then the whole thing is busted. So these kids won't have to wait till Saturday evening much less Sunday to get confirmation that their parents are nuts (as if they didn't already know).

Mike

Last edited by MRRiley; 05-20-2011 at 07:33 AM.
05-20-2011, 07:39 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Frankly, if we (in the U.S.) don't awake on Saturday morning to non-stop news coverage of widening catastrophic earthquakes from New Zealand to India (since 6pm Saturday evening is 1am U.S. East Coast time) then the whole thing is busted. So these kids won't have to wait till Saturday evening much less Sunday to get confirmation that their parents are nuts (as if they didn't already know).
To be honest, I wasn't sure exactly when on Saturday everything was suppose to go down as I haven't been following it too closely. Good to know I won't have to wait long this weekend to find out who's right
05-20-2011, 07:41 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Speaking of which, my 55th birthday (Dec 21, 2012) should be a humdinger, end of the world wise.

Which reminds me, I have to make a bucket list of cameras and places to shoot
05-20-2011, 07:44 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by dgaies Quote
To be honest, I wasn't sure exactly when on Saturday everything was suppose to go down as I haven't been following it too closely. Good to know I won't have to wait long this weekend to find out who's right
Yeah... it's supposed to be a rolling earthquake disaster... happening at 6pm local time (in each successive timezone) starting at the international dateline... which puts our New Zealand friends (y'all keep your heads down out there and send us a "all clear" at 7pm please) and progressing around the planet.

Mike

p.s. hopefully god will not decide to jam global communications to keep us guessing...
05-20-2011, 07:48 AM   #8
Veteran Member

I'm just trying to remember how many "end of the world" scenarios I have lived through - must be 7 or 8.....

The last one I remember was the "Heavens Gate" group in their new black sneakers.

05-20-2011, 07:51 AM   #9
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by stevewig Quote
I'm just trying to remember how many "end of the world" scenarios I have lived through - must be 7 or 8.....
Well that makes you one very lucky man!
05-20-2011, 07:53 AM   #10
Pentaxian

happening at 6pm local time
Personally I cannot wait to see how Harold Camping squirms when he has to announce that he was wrong, AGAIN.

My mom has told me directly that Iím not going to get into heaven,Ē Grace Haddad, 16, said. ďAt first it was really upsetting, but itís what she honestly believes
that is basically child abuse, seriously isn't that a completely f*cked in the head? saying that to an impressionable 16 year old girl?

though I wonder how many guys are using the " what are you going to be doing when the world ends?" pick up line...I might be tempted to use it myself

Last edited by Digitalis; 05-20-2011 at 07:59 AM.
05-20-2011, 07:59 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Digitalis Quote
Personally I cannot wait to see how Harold Camping squirms when he has to announce that he was wrong, AGAIN.
HE may be the only one to actually disappear into thin air... along with all the money he has scammed from his followers...
05-20-2011, 08:04 AM   #12
Pentaxian

HE may be the only one to actually disappear into thin air... along with all the money he has scammed from his followers...
I figured as much, most "holy men" are out to make their millions while their followers grovel and moan. But I suppose I'll owe him for giving a good excuse to start a big steaming orgy..
05-20-2011, 08:11 AM   #13
Pentaxian

QuoteQuote:

The last one I remember was the "Heavens Gate" group in their new black sneakers.
It's not just the fact they all had nice new sneakers, but they all had turkey pot pie at, I believe, Marie Callender's.
05-20-2011, 08:21 AM   #14
Pentaxian

hey I wonder what this guy has to say about the impending rapture...
05-20-2011, 08:29 AM   #15
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Digitalis Quote
hey I wonder what this guy has to say about the impending rapture...
Is he the one that turned the water into a lager rather than wine?
Closed Thread