Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-26-2011, 06:46 AM   #31
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
So, he should use his position as president to force companies to bring manufacturing jobs home from China?

Raygun and Shrub already proved that cutting taxes for corporations doesn't do anything for job creation, your corporate taxes are virtually non existent, and you have 10% unemployment.
What has happened is that the USA has shipped the bulk of it's consumer manufacturing to other countries where they were able to buy cheaper labour, and now is paying the price.
John, how much do you really pay your employees? It really sounds like you favour a return to sweatshop labour and no worker protection.
Too bad the actual facts don't back that up. Reagan's tax cuts helped to fuel the economy Carter left in a shambles along with our military. After 9-11 Bush's cuts brought the economy back also.

As for how much I pay employees I would venture a guess that it's more than you make especially if benes are included.

And as far as jobs to China you only have to look in the mirror. Corporations need to make a profit. That's what we go into business for. You folks want to buy stuff cheap. We want to make money. Can't afford US labor with the unions and what not. There are people out there who are willing to do the job for a price we can make a profit on. Want the jobs back? Stop complaining about the prices then.

The POTUS can't use his position to force jobs back here. He can however make it more economically feasible to a corporation to WANT to bring them back home. We have one of the highest corporate tax rates in the world.

05-26-2011, 07:23 AM   #32
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by JohnInIndy Quote
After 9-11 Bush's cuts brought the economy back also.
For whom?
05-26-2011, 07:39 AM   #33
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by shooz Quote
For whom?

That's the real question: all those tax cuts and the deregulation and big-money-favoring Bush did mean that the stock market and big corporations are making record profits *now,* but as ever, it's not really trickling down.

Except, interestingly, that some corporations are bringing jobs *back* onshore since there's no more to be made by parting out facilities and jobs, and they find the productivity of American workers and shorter shipping chains make a lot more sense, these days.

Still, I suspect they won't be paying as much as the jobs they outsourced to begin with.
05-26-2011, 07:51 AM   #34
Site Supporter

We have one of the highest corporate tax rates in the world.
I call BS!!!!!!
This has been discussed here before, where were you John?

05-26-2011, 09:28 AM   #35
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I call BS!!!!!!
This has been discussed here before, where were you John?
Busy paying those taxes.
05-26-2011, 09:49 AM   #36
Site Supporter

You said you don't pay them, by not making any money.
What are you John?
05-26-2011, 10:25 AM   #37
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Fairly simple actually. When I hired each of my employees I told them what the job payed. I also told them how they can advance. They get paid what the job is worth to me as their boss. They can negotiate what they think it's worth face to face with me. If I agree with their argument they get the money. If I don't they are free to find employment in any industry of their choosing so long as it abides by the non-compete. When it's the union arguing for you then it's always overpayment. Unions, for the most part are a bunch of thugs threatening to strike if they don't get their way.
Sounds more like you were hiring hookers than employees....

05-26-2011, 10:26 AM   #38
Site Supporter

That's why he tells them BOHICA.
05-26-2011, 04:25 PM   #39
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Tom S. Quote
Sounds more like you were hiring hookers than employees....
He really would prefer a return to the Victorian era where employers were pretend gentry and employees were indentured serfs.
05-27-2011, 05:53 AM   #40
Veteran Member

Original Poster
You said you don't pay them, by not making any money.
What are you John?
Sorry Shoozie, I thought you understood the difference between personal income and corporate. Let me try to explain in terms a union guy might understand. I personally took no salary from the company I run and own the majority of stock shares in. My company however did make money therefore it DID pay taxes. And a lot of them.
05-27-2011, 05:57 AM   #41
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
He really would prefer a return to the Victorian era where employers were pretend gentry and employees were indentured serfs.
Sorry Wheatfield. If anyone in my employee feels they can do better anywhere else they are free to leave of their own accord. Funny most/all of them don't seem to feel as thought they want to leave. Maybe I treat them too good. Maybe I should make them pay for the benefits they now enjoy.
05-27-2011, 07:00 AM   #42
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Sorry Wheatfield. If anyone in my employee feels they can do better anywhere else they are free to leave of their own accord. Funny most/all of them don't seem to feel as thought they want to leave. Maybe I treat them too good. Maybe I should make them pay for the benefits they now enjoy.
Maybe they are afraid you will sue them on that non-compete.

Last edited by GeneV; 05-27-2011 at 07:11 AM.
05-27-2011, 07:04 AM   #43
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
There are two things any employer never gets to do with me.

I don't allow any employer potential or otherwise insight into my personal finances. I can understand if you're working with large sums of money in a bank or whatever you might want to bond someone. I've been there, been bonded, no problem, but it's actually not necessary to run a credit check or to get my bank account info to do that and I strongly object when someone wants all my personal financial info to do that.

In most states you have to sign a release for a potential employer to check your credit info and bank accounts and such. I won't do that and if it's a problem, oh well, I'm not all that interested in working there, sorry.

No, it's not just paranoia. Nor am I particularly ashamed of my credit history though it's not perfect. I've actually had an employer or two pull some really shady stuff with that, handing out access to my info to just about anyone, for instance, to ever want to go there. They can use the SS# in personnel to verify that I'm legal and that I have a right to work in the USA without a green card, but that's it. Anything beyond that and I'm out the door.

Some employers they tend to treat you like a potential criminal before you even set foot on their premises and that rather annoys me. It's one thing to run a quick law enforcement check to see if a person has actually violated the law, been arrested for something, but it's another to demand they hand over all their most sensitive personal financial data, just in case, they might turn out to be a bad egg. Unless someone is with the FBI, in which case I likely wouldn't be working for them anyway, they can just get out of my face with that invasive BS. I have a right to some privacy. Who I bank with, how many $$$ are in my checking account or who I might owe money to (or not) is MY business!

Two, I will never take any job, no matter how badly I want it, where the employer tells me that if I leave I can't work in the same field for a certain period of time. I've had a couple of companies pull that, for freakin sales/management jobs, and it's just not cool with me. I'm not about to change fields for a year just to make some employer that I probably left working with for some pretty bad reasons to begin with happy.

If a company is good to me, compensates me well, I'm not about to leave, let alone try to compete with them. On the contrary. I'm the type that tends to work my arse off for a good one. I'm intensely loyal to employers who treat me will and who seem to have real ethics business-wise, always have been. But if they treat me like utter crap for 6 months basically forcing me to go out and find a better job? No way I'm going to not go work for another company even if it is in the same field, selling the same thing, if that employer will treat me better.

That doesn't mean I am going to go and tell employer #2 every little thing about employer #1 and their business practices or product. That wouldn't be ethical, but I'm not about to sign off on getting a better employer in favor of not offending a totally lousy one. I'm not stupid enough to go there. I've had a couple of really great employers, but I've also had my fair share of totally crappy ones and no way am I going to limit myself like that.

Last edited by magkelly; 05-27-2011 at 07:10 AM.
05-27-2011, 07:09 AM   #44
Site Supporter

What company did you say you run John?
Little house on the prairie?
05-27-2011, 07:21 AM   #45
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Sorry Shoozie, I thought you understood the difference between personal income and corporate. Let me try to explain in terms a union guy might understand. I personally took no salary from the company I run and own the majority of stock shares in. My company however did make money therefore it DID pay taxes. And a lot of them.
Seems your one of th few then...........
Of course your referring to taxes after the usual SUTA, FUTA, SS, Medicare.. which in a certain sense is paid for by decreased wages..
You are referring to net profit taxes.. State and Fed..