Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-06-2011, 06:15 AM   #31
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by krypticide Quote
Having said that, I personally find it exciting as this plus the fact that Windows 8 will run on ARM means that we will be seeing tablets running Windows 8. Can't wait to have a fully backward compatible OS in tablet format with the proper UI.
Wrong. M$ has already said that there isn't going to be an X86 emulator for the ARM version. No backwards compatibility. M$ is pushing HTML5 as the native app format for Window$ 8 on ARM.

06-06-2011, 09:21 AM   #32
Banned

Windows 8 Video Demonstration

Last edited by jogiba; 06-06-2011 at 09:46 AM.
06-06-2011, 10:57 AM   #33
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I see some FUD being posted. The new touch-friendly interface is OPTIONAL. You can use the regular Windows desktop solely, if you want.

Having said that, I personally find it exciting as this plus the fact that Windows 8 will run on ARM means that we will be seeing tablets running Windows 8. Can't wait to have a fully backward compatible OS in tablet format with the proper UI.
You are correct - some of us are indeed indulging in FUD. Fear that the OS interface designers will take the same approach as the Office interface designers... Uncertainty about whether or not we'll be able to make things look like *we want* instead of how *they* think we should want. And Disgust at the 'ribbon'.

Will it turn out that the interface look&feel is imposed upon us? I would be moderately surprised if that's true, but since the initial look didn't give us a peek at the 'desktop' look it's a justified feeling at this early stage. If M$ is smart enough to allow us choices, then I'll be happy. If not, then the FUD will have been justified.

Do NOT put me down as a Windows-hater. I dislike certain specifics, but overall it's just a tool (exactly like a Mac or a Linux box or a Solaris box...) with good and bad points. And it's a tool I've used for a long long long time.

Jim
06-06-2011, 11:33 AM   #34
Veteran Member

But why should we accept any of it? We are after all the customers or perhaps that term should only be reserved for those with genuine choice.

I have long had a growing repulsion against all this clever clever stuff that we are meant to wet our knickers over when ever something utterly useless is proclaimed as the best thing ever and questions are asked as to how humanity has struggled through the centuries without it Cloud computing has already been mentioned and I'll add to that conceptual computing and all the predictive coding that the programmers have decided the great unwashed are clamouring at the gate for.

My father, now in his 80's, has always maintained that the biggest menace in computing are programmers with a bright idea and that is as true today as it was 50 years ago when he was working on punch card machines.

06-06-2011, 11:43 AM   #35
Banned

720p HD version

06-06-2011, 01:09 PM   #36
Veteran Member

I've not been so excited since I last watched a guy flogging the latest in high tech potato peeler's at some ideal home exhibition.
06-08-2011, 11:55 PM   #37
Veteran Member

Well, I think it's a good compromise. It's not like users defined interfaces; programmers did. We just learned to accept what they programmed. So I guess some of us see how the ribbon is an improvement ; others don't. But it's up to the programmers to choose the interface. We, as users, make our choice by our dollars.

Sent from my EVO 4G with CM7
06-09-2011, 11:34 AM   #38
Pentaxian

Well, I think it's a good compromise. It's not like users defined interfaces; programmers did. We just learned to accept what they programmed. So I guess some of us see how the ribbon is an improvement ; others don't. But it's up to the programmers to choose the interface. We, as users, make our choice by our dollars.

Sent from my EVO 4G with CM7
The thing that bugs me about the ribbon is the designers made a conscious choice *not* to provide us with the option of displaying the classic menus we have been using for so long. The head of the team said it was done because their user feedback (from surveys, prototypes, etc) had shown the ribbon was more effective, and that the users would eventually like it better, and we'd just have to adjust. (paraphrased from a blog somewhere in M$ where she talked about the choice). I agree, some like the ribbon, especially folks new to it who don't have long-standing habits to unlearn and retrain.

And, as a user - I *DON'T* have a choice. My work computers have the latest approved versions of M$ Office installed whether I like it or not, and that's what we are made to use, regardless of whether we like it or not. At home, yes I can make the choice. Not at work.

Jim

06-09-2011, 02:07 PM   #39
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by RoxnDox Quote
The thing that bugs me about the ribbon is the designers made a conscious choice *not* to provide us with the option of displaying the classic menus we have been using for so long.
[I]&*&^%%#$@$%^! That sucks. So this ribbon thing: it's like what I see on my wife's mac?
06-09-2011, 03:32 PM   #40
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by dadipentak Quote
[I]&*&^%%#$@$%^! That sucks. So this ribbon thing: it's like what I see on my wife's mac?
The ribbon is inside the application's window (Word, Excel, etc) where the menu bar resides. Takes up a lot more screen space than the old menus did, and they changed a lot of stuff around (making it hard to find things for MANY of us...)

The Mac thing (I forget what they call it, the dock?) is more like the Windows taskbar.

Jim

Last edited by RoxnDox; 02-21-2012 at 12:24 PM.
06-09-2011, 04:20 PM   #41
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Oh well that'll be fun (or not). At this stage of the game, though, I figure I'll just hunker down with Win7 and see how long I can hold out--sort of a pc survivalist.
06-12-2011, 06:56 AM   #42
Pentaxian

Windows desktop for Adobe applications, Linux for everything else.

I still use XP and CS4.
06-13-2011, 04:58 PM   #43
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Developers are apparently horrified by Micr$oft's plans for Win8

Why Microsoft has made developers horrified about coding for Windows 8
06-14-2011, 12:01 AM   #44
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by RoxnDox Quote
The ribbon is inside the application's window (Word, Excel, etc) where the menu bar resides. Takes up a lot more screen space than the old menus did, and they changed a lot of stuff around (making it hard to find things for MANY of us...)
See? Look at the mass taken up by the Styles menu.

I'd be willing to bet that nearly no one ever uses those - at least to the point of needing them to take up 2/3 of the menu area.

Most people go into word and start typing. They don't need the formatting to be all spick & span until after they've typed everything.
06-15-2011, 02:01 PM   #45
Veteran Member

If the major windows release history is to continue, windows 8 will suck for sure

98 (solid) > ME (not) > xp (solid) > vista (not) > 7 (solid)

2000 doesn't count.

QuoteQuote:
I'd be willing to bet that nearly no one ever uses those - at least to the point of needing them to take up 2/3 of the menu area.

Most people go into word and start typing. They don't need the formatting to be all spick & span until after they've typed everything.
I'm one of the few that does I guess. Can't stand looking at the default font and I have a hard time re-reading my own documents if I dont make proper headings with styles for them. It does look much better now that it's Calibri rather than Times New Roman though.

That said the ribbon does take alot of time to get used to. I still dont know where some of my old stuff like mail merge are, but those are only ones that I use once in a blue moon. Using F1 won't hurt.