Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
06-02-2011, 05:45 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Oh, Ick Microsoft....

Just got a sneak peek at Windows 8. It apparently makes all PC's basically look like touch pads. Huge icons, no work bar, no basic menu? Worse yet no real desktop? No wallpaper et all?

I don't know about this one. I'm a diehard PC person for major work. I don't mind the idea of a pad for internet and for music, reading books etc, but when it comes to doing graphics, editing media and major office work sessions I like a fully usable OS on my PC and a big screen.

(I definitely don't like cloud computing either. I like to actually have all my major applications on the PC, not just just be licensed to use them on the internet. There are some things I don't feel that are best done via web. Not to mention I don't like the idea of everything I do on my PC being web dependent. It's not very practical. If the internet goes down for several hours, what then? What about security? The web itself gets hacked a lot more than most home PC's. Do I really want all my most sensitive data online where it can be compromised a lot easier? Uh no, I don't think so.)

I wasn't exactly crazy about the almost mandatory upgrade to Windows 7 that we got with the new desktop computer that the folks had to buy when our family's main computer unexpectedly died. I've gotten used to using Windows 7, and I've learned to work around some things I don't like, but there are times when Windows 7 still really annoys me and I do miss XP. (I still run it actually on my old laptop which doesn't have enough memory or computing power to run Win 7 well.)

I really do not like what I am seeing of Windows 8 though. I guess I should wait to see more of it before I decide but based on the preview thus far I don't think I am going to be in any hurry to upgrade to the new OS when it comes out. A tablet PC interface is fine on a tablet or on a phone, but on a PC?

Last edited by magkelly; 06-02-2011 at 05:53 AM.
06-02-2011, 06:05 AM   #2
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by magkelly Quote
Just got a sneak peek at Windows 8. It apparently makes all PC's basically look like touch pads. Huge icons, no work bar, no basic menu? Worse yet no real desktop? No wallpaper et all?

I don't know about this one. I'm a diehard PC person for major work. I don't mind the idea of a pad for internet and for music, reading books etc, but when it comes to doing graphics, editing media and major office work sessions I like a fully usable OS on my PC and a big screen.

(I definitely don't like cloud computing either. I like to actually have all my major applications on the PC, not just just be licensed to use them on the internet. There are some things I don't feel that are best done via web. Not to mention I don't like the idea of everything I do on my PC being web dependent. It's not very practical. If the internet goes down for several hours, what then? What about security? The web itself gets hacked a lot more than most home PC's. Do I really want all my most sensitive data online where it can be compromised a lot easier? Uh no, I don't think so.)

I wasn't exactly crazy about the almost mandatory upgrade to Windows 7 that we got with the new desktop computer that the folks had to buy when our family's main computer unexpectedly died. I've gotten used to using Windows 7, and I've learned to work around some things I don't like, but there are times when Windows 7 still really annoys me and I do miss XP. (I still run it actually on my old laptop which doesn't have enough memory or computing power to run Win 7 well.)

I really do not like what I am seeing of Windows 8 though. I guess I should wait to see more of it before I decide but based on the preview thus far I don't think I am going to be in any hurry to upgrade to the new OS when it comes out. A tablet PC interface is fine on a tablet or on a phone, but on a PC?
Try Ubuntu instead of upgrading to the next version of Windows. Tweak a few things to replace the Ubuntu logo with a windows logo and tell people it is Windows 8. See how they get along with it for a few weeks before telling them its linux.
06-02-2011, 06:12 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Looks like OSx Lion is going with this tablet-esque idea too *sigh*
06-02-2011, 06:29 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I actually used a version of Ubuntu for a while as a second OS but I found having to use my Adobe applications via a virtual PC thing way too annoying. I could replace about 75% of the smaller applications I use with a Linux alternative but I just cannot replace a couple of very specific office and desktop customization programs that I need or Photoshop/Illustrator so easily. Until those people and Adobe decide to make a Linux version that's just not going to happen me making a permanent switch to Linux. I just do not like Wine etc.

I'm honestly not too happy with the way the computer market is going lately. When my folks went to replace their PC we could barely find a desktop in the whole town. It was nearly all laptops and tablet PC's. I've got nothing against the latter but a laptop just doesn't cut it for graphics etc unless it's very high end.

I can see a tablet replacing my laptop someday, but not our family's desktop. My folks they're not laptop friendly, let alone tablet friendly. Anything but a proper PC and I can't even get them to use it. I only just recently got them toting a very simple pay as you go cell phone. They would never go for Windows 8 or a tablet PC, ever.

QuoteOriginally posted by enoeske Quote
Try Ubuntu instead of upgrading to the next version of Windows. Tweak a few things to replace the Ubuntu logo with a windows logo and tell people it is Windows 8. See how they get along with it for a few weeks before telling them its linux.

06-02-2011, 06:36 AM   #5
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by enoeske Quote
A few weeks ? It would take me a few seconds to know it's not Windows when I can't find my Windows apps. What is the killer app on Linux that is not on Windows or OS X ?
06-02-2011, 07:29 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I don't need another iPhone, especially an oversized one!

I had a tough time departing from XP and moving to Win7 ... now this??

JP
06-02-2011, 07:42 AM   #7
Inactive Account

I don't think that the touch interface is the only interface for Win 8 available. Just the one that everyone's getting hard/wet (delete according to gender) for.

06-02-2011, 11:31 AM   #8
Veteran Member

That shows a preview of Windows 8 and it's a really limited one at that. This preview is clearly geared to devices with touch screens. However, if you advance to 3:05 you can see what looks to be a standard Windows 7 desktop.

We really need to see and know more to judge this new OS.
06-02-2011, 06:12 PM   #9
Inactive Account

I'm happy with my laptop as is. I can't stand touch screen applications. It gets dirty enough without my rubbing my fingers all over it. The question I have is,

When did Howie Mandel start working for Microsoft?

06-02-2011, 06:36 PM   #10
Veteran Member

The mouse causes problems for some people - RSI sufferers. Desktops cause back problems. I believe tablets are the future and welcome the touch interface and possibly a motion sensing camera interface like the Kinect. Laptops, desktops, netbooks etc. are a dying technology. As are mirror boxes in SLRs.
06-02-2011, 06:38 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Boy, does this sound familiar--like me when I had to migrate from DOS to doing gooey things with a mouse. Seems like whenever you reach a level of comfort & competence, something comes along that turns you back into an idiot.
06-02-2011, 08:25 PM   #12
Veteran Member

You know I'll be a late adopter of whatever, but an AI I could talk to, including with my hands might work.
06-02-2011, 08:26 PM   #13

QuoteOriginally posted by Lurch Quote
Looks like OSx Lion is going with this tablet-esque idea too *sigh*
In OS X Lion it will just be gimmicky thing like Dashboard was for Tiger.
06-02-2011, 08:58 PM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by selar Quote
The mouse causes problems for some people - RSI sufferers. Desktops cause back problems. I believe tablets are the future and welcome the touch interface and possibly a motion sensing camera interface like the Kinect. Laptops, desktops, netbooks etc. are a dying technology. As are mirror boxes in SLRs.
QWERTY has been with us since the 19th century. Keyboards are not going anywhere.

QuoteOriginally posted by dadipentak Quote
Boy, does this sound familiar--like me when I had to migrate from DOS to doing gooey things with a mouse. Seems like whenever you reach a level of comfort & competence, something comes along that turns you back into an idiot.
Nah. It's just Microsoft Bob 2.0.
06-02-2011, 10:00 PM   #15
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Ratmagiclady Quote
You know I'll be a late adopter of whatever, but an AI I could talk to, including with my hands might work.
<Scotty> Ah, a keyboard. How quaint!</Scotty>

Jim