Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-13-2011, 07:20 AM   #151
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
It could very well be that said cousin doesn't really like being in a large group of her relatives and prefers the buffer of having something else to do rather that deal with them all at once. I used to do that when I was younger too actually, sneak off with a book after a brief appearance when large groups of people were visiting. Okay, I still do that if I can manage it, lol.

I don't like large groups of people, particularly when they are relatives. Honestly? My out of state relatives I don't like half of them. They all they tend to gang up on me and on each other when they are all in the same place for very long. It's all in the name of "fun" but really it's not so much fun being around them. It feels a lot like emotional target practice and I get antsy when I have to deal with it for too long.

Now days I'm usually in back of the camera, which helps though. They do tend to leave me alone more when I've got the legitimate excuse of photos to take and edit and CD's to burn.

I've got relatives from out of state visiting later this month actually and I am not really looking forward to it at all. People visiting just means I have to work my arse off to make sure my folk place is "really" clean. I also have to cook a lot and spend a lot of awkward time in the company of people I barely know when I'd much rather be studying.

Family reunions, ick...

06-13-2011, 08:20 AM   #152
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I had a simple solution for family events. i just don't attend. haven't since i was about 18 (i'm 51 now) I have family i want to see occasionally, i get together with them away from the majority i don't want to see (as the old saying goes you choose your friends not your family, doesn't mean you have to associate with the ones you didn't choose) I celebrate christmas with friends i have over to my place and my wife, no need for FB distractions then.
funnily enough the family i do choose to interact with tend to live the same way
06-18-2011, 02:44 PM   #153
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Mike Cash Quote

Pentax K-5
S-M-C Takumar 105/2.8

I see the same sort of thing even among grown men. Not so long ago, when my coworkers assembled in our break room at work there would be lots of interaction between the people there. These days, it is mostly practically everybody there staring at their cell phones.
I totally get your point Mike. That shot is an iconic image of our modern times. From what I'm reading I don't think others ever will. And that's - well - that's just sad.
06-18-2011, 03:35 PM   #154
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Bill_R Quote
I can't understand how someone "staring" at a phone (as you put it) in a restaurant has any impact on you at all. Is it really any of your business unless they *directly* impact on you? That's their thing - not yours. You seem to make major generalisations as if it is everybody. Well, I know from my exposure and circles that it most certainly isn't.
I never said anyone "staring" at a phone (as I put it) in a restaurant has any impact on me at all. Is it really any of your business if I have and express opinions on things which don't *directly* impact me? That's my thing - not yours. What you know from your exposure and circles hardly qualifies you to express an informed opinion on my exposure and circles. We don't live in the same culture or even the same country.

I never said it impacts me. I never said it is everyone. But you keep on setting up those straw men if having something easy to knock down is any comfort to you.

QuoteQuote:
"Sad" is from your perspective.
That's right. It is a subjective assessment. Also known as an "opinion", which modern touchy-feely society tells us is "judgmental" and the expression of which is a major taboo. I refuse to participate in that nonsense. I am extraordinarily opinionated and judgmental and entirely unapologetic about it. In this case, as in practically every other case that I can recall, my subjective assessment happens to be absolutely 100% dead-on-the-money correct. That people assemble together and then ignore each other, choosing instead to interact with non-present people/sites/games via electronic devices for protracted periods is a sad development.

QuoteQuote:
To some others the perspective might be that it is sad that you feel that way - and on and on ...
And they are free and welcome to have that opinion. They would be entirely wrong, of course, but that wouldn't bother me in the slightest.