Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-05-2011, 09:25 PM - 2 Likes   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
The Anti-Facebook Crowd...

Hey all,

I noticed over in the World Pentax Day Giveaway Thread a lot of anger towards the idea of needing to be a Facebook member to enter the contest. There was a lot of resistance and downright belligerence at the idea of Facebook at all.

So I wonder... To those same anti-facebook people...

Have you ever bought anything with a credit card online or even in a brick-and-mortar store?
Shop at Amazon.com or any other online store?
Every buy off EBay or use Paypal?
Ever join a contest where you had to register with your real name?
Ever post a photo with your real name in the watermark? ...or Promote your own photography around the web? Have a FlickR account?
Have a gmail or other "free" email account?
Click on a banner ad anywhere?
Use Google regularly? Have a Google account (whether email or just settings). Ever use Google Maps?

I could go on and on, but these are all things that "invade your privacy" on one level or another, so I just wonder, have you really thought through this adversity to social networks?

And I wonder too...
Have you ever taken a candid photo of a stranger and posted it online? What about their privacy?

I do believe in this day-and-age we should be aware of our privacy. I have a teenage daughter and young-adult son, and have encouraged them to think about what they do online in many ways (on Facebook and around the web in general). However, I don't see Facebook as any more "evil" than anywhere else on the web that is constantly collecting information about us... and don't kid yourself, it happens every day all day. It's been happening to us long before the internet... that's what credit agencies are all about and where a good portion of your background check information comes from. Unless you live off the grid and use cash for everything, you're not above it by avoiding Facebook.

And assumably, since you're here on an internet site -- a social forum no less -- you're not off the grid

Now, if you hate Facebook for other reasons, that's you're choice. I just wonder how many saw the movie Social Network and decided it was evil then, or heard from a friend that it was evil and made their decision based off incorrect information, or just lack of knowledge. Like I said in my reply to the other thread, it's what YOU make of it, and nothing more. You have the ability to protect your privacy there, just like you do here. Use an internet pseudonym, don't post your birthday or other private info, and only share what you want. Don't "check in". Block all apps. Only participate with people you know. YOU decide.

Thoughts?

Last edited by DRabbit; 06-05-2011 at 09:37 PM.
06-05-2011, 10:55 PM   #2
Inactive Account

Oh, you're so right, I've used google - better go and sign up for Facebook!
06-05-2011, 11:02 PM   #3
Veteran Member

I've done all what you listed there, but I still don't use facebook. Not because I hate it, but because I don't have access to it during office hour (our company network blocked all these social network websites and instant online message services, but luckily not online forums), and in general I don't like the facebook concept.

I did use my facebook account once, that's to help a friend vote for his photo in an online photo competition which required a facebook account. That's why I registered and used that account once. Now I can't even remember the password, and I didn't like the idea that I had to register a facebook account for that purpose. I understand why some others think the same.

I've never used twitters yet (no access to twitters in office hours anyway), and don't have my own blog (I'd rather blog w/ people face to face), but I do surf online everyday both for work or personal interest. To me forums are quite different from blogs, twitters, or facebook.

Each has his/her own opinion, but many people (me included) don't like to be forced to do something.
06-06-2011, 12:32 AM - 1 Like   #4
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by lithos Quote
Oh, you're so right, I've used google - better go and sign up for Facebook!
An exaggeration of course, but really it's a personal choice. It's a tool, but as with any tool, some can get infatuated with it to the point of obsession. The Social Network certainly brought the 'movement' out into a whole new tainted light.

It can be used, managed and protected - and surely possible to be abused, just as online purchase details can be. However, it's only as useful to any viewer as the information that is provided on the site.

As a tool, if all it does for you is to share photos with your family and friends, you don't need to put in all the personal details, don't need to have any apps and don't need to post on walls or such things.

In the end, it's all personal choice to use it, and how much it is used.

Last edited by Ash; 06-06-2011 at 12:48 AM.
06-06-2011, 02:00 AM   #5
Veteran Member

With me, it's not about hate. I don't hate facebook at all. I just very strongly dislike being forced into ANOTHER social network.

I've had 3 accounts at different social networks, just because people sent me all kinds of invitations. And now, I've got loads of people constantly complaining that I don't update them. So I deleted all 3 accounts.

And I know and realize that I'm not forced to enter this contest. I want to enter this contest myself... I just don't like being refused, because I don't join the sheeple. Heck... I think that's one of a Pentaxians trademarks: They don't do something because everybody does it.

If they want people to host their pictures elsewhere, then leave the choice to them. I 've got a idle Flickr account just for that.
06-06-2011, 02:37 AM - 2 Likes   #6

I've seen there are a slew of "herd-bashers" in the other thread, so I do wonder, what brand is your car? What make is your phone? What's the name on your laptop/desktop computer?

Somewhere, somehow, we're all part of mass-marketed products, let's not think we're immune to that — it's what you make of them that makes the difference.

If you bought Pentax because their products feel and do exactly what you need them to, good reasoning, but if you bought into the system (ironic?) because "you don't want to be a sheep" then you better ask yourself a few questions.

Ultimately, nobody's forcing anyone to join Facebook, just like nobody's forcing anyone to buy Canon (or Nikon, or Sony, for that matter) to join their contests. Then again, whether you do, or don't, it's your choice — either way will be fine.
06-06-2011, 03:37 AM   #7

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by hooverfocus Quote

Ultimately, nobody's forcing anyone to join Facebook, just like nobody's forcing anyone to buy Canon (or Nikon, or Sony, for that matter) to join their contests. Then again, whether you do, or don't, it's your choice — either way will be fine.
Couldn't agree more with this statement. No one is forcing anyone to participate....

06-06-2011, 03:44 AM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by hooverfocus Quote
You're right there.

Back when I was in school at the age of 14, I didn't belong to the 'in-crowd'. Appearently, it was required to wear certain brands of clothing. Well, I couldn't be bothered with that, I didn't want to spend that much money on just clothes. I myself had chosen to start saving for a Pentax K1000. (Notice the irony?) Luckily, I was way to big and assertive to be bullied. It didn't really bother me, but fact remains that I didn't enjoy the advantages of being with that incrowd.

Well this requirement to be in facebook feels pretty much the same. I don't mind not being able to join this contest. But fact remains that certain people are being left out of this, just because they do not meet certain petty requirements.
06-06-2011, 04:00 AM   #9

QuoteOriginally posted by Clavius Quote
You're right there.
Well this requirement to be in facebook feels pretty much the same. I don't mind not being able to join this contest. But fact remains that certain people are being left out of this, just because they do not meet certain petty requirements.
I concur. I could almost see if Facebook (are they?) is providing incentive in supporting the contest. You know like provinding prizes etc.

Yet they are not. Maybe they are in a round about way (the more likes/friends PF gets the more revenue via FB they get?) yet I dont know how that stuff works.

I dont like the fact that it is a requirement (even though I have a FB account and use it weekly) I also dont like the fact that people that have been doing this for years and that may be professionals in photography are permitted to compete with people that may not know the difference between and fStop and a ISO setting. I didnt like black eye peas when I was young..... but I HAD to eat those.

With that I can attempt to compete or I can opt not to. The contest is not a requirement in any way shape or form. It is something PF is doing with maybe a little help from FB.

Hopefully we wont lose anyone from the community over this.
06-06-2011, 04:18 AM   #10
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Aknot Quote
Hopefully we wont lose anyone from the community over this.
Why should we?
Once again, there is *no* obligation to enter this competition.
Totally voluntary.
Whether this competition exists or not, the forum is for everyone just as before.
Let's see past this and move on.
06-06-2011, 04:28 AM   #11

QuoteOriginally posted by Ash Quote
Why should we?
Once again, there is *no* obligation to enter this competition.
Totally voluntary.
Whether this competition exists or not, the forum is for everyone just as before.
Let's see past this and move on.
Because some people may not be able to see past stuff such as this.
06-06-2011, 05:40 AM   #12
Banned

The internet is just a fad like CB radios in the 70's?

Many people said that in the mid 90's when I used CompuServe, Prodigy and AOL 1.0. Mark Zuckerberg is not going to lose sleep from the few people that hate Facebook because most of the kids and adults are on it today.

QuoteQuote:
According to Consumer Reports (June 2011), there are 7.5 million U.S. children under the age of 13 already on Facebook and more than 5 million under 10. That validates other research, including a 2010 survey from McAfee that found 37% of 10-to-12-year-olds using Facebook as well as a 2011 study from the EU Kids Online research project that found that 38% of 9-to-12-year-old European children used social-networking sites, with one in five using Facebook." In some countries as many as 40% of pre-teens are on Facebook. Every one of these children had to lie about their age to get on simply because Facebook's terms of service require that users be at least 13.
Larry Magid: Zuckerberg Was Right: Why Facebook Should Welcome Kids Under 13
06-06-2011, 07:09 AM   #13
Pentaxian

I've been on Facebook for a while. It's been a good way to keep in touch with family, which is spread literally from coast to coast, and get hooked up with old friends. I suppose everybody has different feelings about about "social media". Facebook is a handy thing in our household. As for the contest, every contest makes you jump through some hoops. Don't enter if you don't like the rules. Since I already own the DA 40, the whole thing is a non issue for me.
06-06-2011, 07:34 AM   #14
K-9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by DRabbit Quote
Hey all,

I noticed over in the World Pentax Day Giveaway Thread a lot of anger towards the idea of needing to be a Facebook member to enter the contest. There was a lot of resistance and downright belligerence at the idea of Facebook at all.

So I wonder... To those same anti-facebook people...

Have you ever bought anything with a credit card online or even in a brick-and-mortar store?
Shop at Amazon.com or any other online store?
Every buy off EBay or use Paypal?
Ever join a contest where you had to register with your real name?
Ever post a photo with your real name in the watermark? ...or Promote your own photography around the web? Have a FlickR account?
Have a gmail or other "free" email account?
Click on a banner ad anywhere?
Use Google regularly? Have a Google account (whether email or just settings). Ever use Google Maps?

I could go on and on, but these are all things that "invade your privacy" on one level or another, so I just wonder, have you really thought through this adversity to social networks?
Facebook pages are less private than anything you mentioned above. People immediately know your face, full name, friends, family, general location, etc. None of the above even remotely introduce that information to the amount of people facebook potentially can.

Remember Myspace? People laugh at it now, but it was 10x more private than Facebook. No one ever used full names, and most barely used their first names, opting for screen names. Facebook was a college only user interface at first, which required an email address ending in edu. It was private to everyone else, and no one had a problem sharing their full names with other college members. However, Facebook went public without any notice to their users or any option to change their full name to just first names or screen names and voila, everyone's full name became public knowledge. Every internet warning about not giving personal information out in the days of myspace did a complete 360, when Facebook became public.
06-06-2011, 08:30 AM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
K-9... go look up "Google Conspiracy" on YouTube.
ANYTHING you do on the internet tracks you by IP address. IP address can be tracked right back to your house.

And people choose to share what they want. I can choose to ONLY let friends see my friends list. It's not availlable to everyone. I can CHOOSE to share my photo or not, and even what I upload to my profile AS my photo (it could be a photo of a sheep if you like... LOL). I can CHOOSE what I share there. No one FORCES me to use my last name, a photo of myself, include my birthday or even let anyone see who my friends are. Those are all choices. It's as private or as open as I want it to be. You don't even have to be searchable if you don't want.

As for the "herd" comments... it's funny because most of my friends think I'm crazy for NOT using my real last name. I don't do it because I'm paranoid... I'm just "old school" internet, back from the days we didn't share our last name so freely. By the way, every day you use your credit card at a store (in the real world) you share all kinds of info about yourself... so let's not pretend Facebook is any more evil than anything else we participate in daily. I'd venture a guess that a lot of people here want credit for their photos and watermark them with their name, then proceed to share photos of all kinds of things around where they live. How is that any different?

QuoteOriginally posted by reeftool:
I've been on Facebook for a while. It's been a good way to keep in touch with family, which is spread literally from coast to coast, and get hooked up with old friends. I suppose everybody has different feelings about about "social media". Facebook is a handy thing in our household. As for the contest, every contest makes you jump through some hoops. Don't enter if you don't like the rules. Since I already own the DA 40, the whole thing is a non issue for me.
I agree with you. I was a little adverse to the idea of Facebook myself two years ago. I joined because of my job (to manage their social media presense) and was surprised to quite enjoy it. It's been fun to stay in touch with my much younger cousins who are spread all around the country... and who, at 20-25 don't think it's all that important to stay in touch with their 40yo cousin otherwise. It's also allowed me to share my photography with people all over the world, and meet some GREAT people. As I said, it is what you make of it.