Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 14 Likes Search this Thread
06-08-2011, 07:48 AM   #76
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by magkelly Quote
I don't have any interest in those type of social platforms. I don't do Facebook. I don't do Twitter.
I'm with you. I don't do Facebook, don't Twitter, and I don't text. I actually have the text function turned off on mine and my wife's cell phones. If you want to talk to me (other than face to face), then pick up a phone and call me. I alredy have the DA 40mm, so I will pass on the contest. Now, offer the DA 70mm or the FA 77mm and I might change my mind.

06-08-2011, 07:50 AM   #77
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by cardinal43 Quote
I'm with you. I don't do Facebook, don't Twitter, and I don't text. I actually have the text function turned off on mine and my wife's cell phones. If you want to talk to me (other than face to face), then pick up a phone and call me. I alredy have the DA 40mm, so I will pass on the contest. Now, offer the DA 70mm or the FA 77mm and I might change my mind.
Where's your phone number so I can reply?

06-08-2011, 09:45 AM   #78
Pentaxian

Just because we are paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get us.

Technology | Privacy group plans FTC complaint on Facebook facial recognition | The Detroit News

Tim
06-08-2011, 10:27 AM   #79
Veteran Member

Gee, FB in the news again for a privacy issue: BBC News - Facebook sorry over face tagging launch

06-08-2011, 11:16 AM   #80
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
And gee, you can set it in your account not be auto-tagged.
06-08-2011, 11:18 AM   #81
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by DRabbit Quote
And gee, you can set it in your account not be auto-tagged.
But shouldn't the default be the other way, you have to activate the auto-tag if you want it?

Tim
06-08-2011, 11:34 AM   #82
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by atupdate Quote
But shouldn't the default be the other way, you have to activate the auto-tag if you want it?

Tim
agree

06-08-2011, 11:37 AM - 2 Likes   #83
Inactive Account

Don't disagree. But coming from the group that is shouting they aren't "sheep" that "follow the heard", I hardly see this as THE argument.

Now that was great to wake up to and read. Very very funny. ROFL!
I'm glad I could put a smile on your face and brighten up your whole day.

As you said in the OP, "if you hate Facebook for other reasons, that's you're choice." It is a very legitimate reason to dislike a company or service b/c their privacy files screw you by default and force you to opt out, continuously monitor it for changes and new ways that they screw you by default, and where the terms of use are dictated by the service provider for the service providers benefit.

We all use services like this, such as credit cards and insurance, and we mostly hate them whether we use them or not. We accept them as necessary evils if they provide greater benefits than the terms they exact from you. Facebook has not crossed the benefit threshold for me yet as its benefit is a communication tool to connect me with people I have no problem communicating with in other, more discrete and personal ways. We have to raise our objections to facebook whenever a third party such as PF or B&H tries to make facebook participation compulsory if we want to participate in some other activity.
06-08-2011, 11:39 AM   #84
Banned

How to Improve Your Facebook Marketing

QuoteQuote:
Fans should be awarded

Engaging fans is just one way to keep them happy. Rewarding fans is another way to keep them happy. There are many ways to reward your fans, and people, mainly entertainers, have discovered that sharing exclusive and sometimes free content gives fans an incentive to come back again and again.

The best piece of advice we can offer someone is to realize what they are best at doing, and once they discover this, they should give it away for free. Social media networks have made the word ‘free’, a word that consumers have started to expect from these page hosts.

By interacting with fans on Facebook and Twitter, and showing your fans how much your truly care for them, they will return you the favor and show you exactly how much they truly care for you.
How to Improve Your Facebook Marketing | TechClump
06-08-2011, 12:04 PM   #85
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Yup, it should be. Just like I shouldn't have to opt-out of credit-bureua generated junk-mail, but I do. And I bet we don't have the ability to "opt-out" of that same facial recognition technology used by the government in street-level security cams. Not to mention, if the photos you share of yourself are minimal, what's to worry about. If you're not there, you're not going to know anyway.

There's a paranoid way to look at life, and a common-sense way. I think some of this is all a little paranoid. And you talk about narcissistic? Isn't that funny... you're all so worried that there are a million people out there ready to get you with their evil advertising because you're THAT important (said: tongue-in-cheek).

QuoteOriginally posted by mikemike Quote
I'm glad I could put a smile on your face and brighten up your whole day.

As you said in the OP, "if you hate Facebook for other reasons, that's you're choice." It is a very legitimate reason to dislike a company or service b/c their privacy files screw you by default and force you to opt out, continuously monitor it for changes and new ways that they screw you by default, and where the terms of use are dictated by the service provider for the service providers benefit.
Absolutely right. You can hate them for it, but hate lots of others for it too then. FB isn't unique. And how you conduct yourself and the information you share is a choice, if you are a member. That's the point. A lot of these arguments are based in either fear or somehow the assumption that once you're there you share every detail about your life because you HAVE to. No one HAS to share anything they don't want to.

If you just hate Facebook regardless... no one can take that from you. Hate away.

QuoteOriginally posted by mikemike Quote
We all use services like this, such as credit cards and insurance, and we mostly hate them whether we use them or not. We accept them as necessary evils if they provide greater benefits than the terms they exact from you. Facebook has not crossed the benefit threshold for me yet as its benefit is a communication tool to connect me with people I have no problem communicating with in other, more discrete and personal ways. We have to raise our objections to facebook whenever a third party such as PF or B&H tries to make facebook participation compulsory if we want to participate in some other activity.
Well, getting into the details of all those other entities that do similar, but the rewards are greater... I'm sure lots of people could argue that. Credit cards are, by far, not a necessary evil... you can choose to pay in cash ya know.

If Facebook isn't something you can have fun doing while keeping in touch with loved-ones, than you are right. There isn't a point to it. That doesn't make it evil though (any more so than lots of other companies or mediums). And it also doesn't change the fact that when and if you ever join, you'll have a choice on what to share and what not to share.
06-08-2011, 01:28 PM   #86
K-9
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by dgaies Quote
1. You don't have to play the silly video games
There's video games, IM chat, posting on walls, posting and tagging photos. Subtract the video games, I don't do any internet chat (I call people if I need to), I don't post silly quotes on walls, and I don't post photos of me and friends and tag them. Doesn't leave a whole lot to do on the site, now does it?

2. Having a facebook account doesn't preclude you from seeing people in real life
Before facebook, you gotta wonder how people lived and survived not being able to chat, post on walls, and tag photos.

3. You don't have to be friends with people you don't want to be friends with on facebook
You don't have to have a facebook, and you can still have friends.

4. There is no requirement to go on facebook and post right after you hang out with friends
There's no requirement to contact people through facebook, ever.

Works great when they're all local. I can't visit or talk to everyone on the phone daily when they're in Seattle, Washington, North Carolina, Vermont, Pennsylvania, Texas and Canada. And seeing their photos or sharing on Facebook doesn't make the phone disappear or the car explode. You were aware of that, right? LOL
Phone is real time, video chat is real time, facebook posts are not. Nice that we've come so far in technology that we have to wait hours or maybe days for someone to post back to you on your wall. The scarier part is that all the users accept this.

That's what the "hide" feature is for. Or block. And you do know that when you make #2 in the bathroom you don't HAVE to post it right? Geez, I think I post on my personal profile about twice a week.
Or I don't have to post anything, care about posting anything, or care about what people post, ever.

I went to a baseball game with my daughter, son, his girlfriend and my husband last Friday. I tooks some photos there... and it was fun to share them later that night with my son and his girlfriend (who are grown). It was fun to share with our own friends pictures of my excited-like-a-little-kid husband. Lame? Maybe. Still fun. But why take photos and share them with anyone anyway... as you say, it's just lame.
You can also email photos, send them via cell phones, or post them on your non Facebook website.

And see above about multiple states. I'm lucky I get to take one vacation per year, let-alone multiple to travel to all the different places my friends and family live.
If you feel that you are happy only seeing their stuff on facebook, rather than actual real life visits, then I guess it's the site for you.

Yes, I'm sure Joel Meyerowitz is a terrible photographer, just because he's on Facebook. And I know, you're too thick to realize you can block asinine games (or maybe you don't realize you aren't forced to play them?). Oh yeah, and you're right, those animated starry-night backgrounds on MySpace made every page beautiful.
While Joel Meyerowitz may post good photography, the majority of the stuff people post are snapshots and crap photos. At least for the most part, myspace pages were unique from person to person, rather than the same cloned look of everyone's facebook page.

I don't consider additional interaction with the people I care about, or new interaction with interesting people all that trite.
I do. It doesn't hold my excitement level in the least.

QuoteOriginally posted by cardinal43 Quote
Agreed. I text only the people who won't answer their phones. They are mainly the text over live talk, facebook user people.

QuoteOriginally posted by Nass Quote
Gee, FB in the news again for a privacy issue: BBC News - Facebook sorry over face tagging launch
Add this one to my list.

Tim
C'mon, you're talking about the same entity that suddenly went public with everyone's full first and last name, by default. Then users actually had to go into the options to turn it off. Obviously no one did because it's 99% first and last names on their to this day.

With the above BBC report, and what they did when they changed from college users to public users, you can only think that more of this will keep happening. Great place to be a part of, huh.
06-08-2011, 01:39 PM   #87
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
I don't chat either. You do know chat is real-time right?
And so are wall posts. No refreshing either! It actually performs similarly to chat. OMG! Maybe you should update your browser... LOL
Why take photos if you're not going to share them with anyone? Are they just for you? I bet you like to show your photos to people...
Yup, lots of ways to do it... did you buck those trends too?
You can still have friends AND Facebook, maybe even meet new ones!
Do you tell all your friends and family how much their photos are crap and not worth looking at, even though it might be a fun memory for them? Wow, you must be charming.

And like I said, being on Facebook didn't make all my friends disappear, the phone go dead or the car explode. I get out just fine thank you.

QuoteQuote:
C'mon, you're talking about the same entity that suddenly went public with everyone's full first and last name, by default. Then users actually had to go into the options to turn it off. Obviously no one did because it's 99% first and last names on their to this day.
And that has something to do with YOU as an individual how? Doesn't erase your choice.

QuoteQuote:
With the above BBC report, and what they did when they changed from college users to public users, you can only think that more of this will keep happening. Great place to be a part of, huh.
No different than anywhere else.
BTW, all those users had the option to delete their accounts right on that day, if they wanted to. No one chained them to the virtual Facebook fence.

06-08-2011, 01:41 PM   #88
K-9
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I mean users aren't always on at the same time, to see the chat/wall posts. You are on a phone talking or video chat, you are both right there in real time. The commenting on photos, liking someone's post they just put on their wall, and all that jazz is slow communication.
06-08-2011, 01:42 PM   #89
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by K-9 Quote
I mean users aren't always on at the same time, to see the chat/wall posts. You are on a phone talking or video chat, you are both right there in real time. The commenting on photos, liking someone's post they just put on their wall, and all that jazz is slow communication.
Kinda like an answering machine, huh?
06-08-2011, 04:00 PM - 1 Like   #90
Veteran Member

This thread gives me flashbacks of being a child in church and the choir gently singing "Just As I Am" during the benediction as the preacher pleaded with the sinners to come forward and accept Christ. For sheer dogged persistence, if nothing else. People who profess not to care if anyone joins or not sure are expending a hell of a lot of effort in attempting to wear down the heathens and convert them. As I said.....cult-like zeal.

It is all neatly encapsulated, almost certainly unintentionally, in an earlier reference to "people who refuse to join Facebook".....as though joining is the natural default and not joining is abberent behavior. Again, the choice of phrase is reminiscent of hearing about people who "refuse Jesus" despite having been presented with the Gospel.

One would almost suspect the Facebook missionaries on this thread to be working on commission, such is their dogged tenacity. But I suppose so long as they can convince just one more lost soul to come join them in the Promised Land of Facebook they will consider their efforts well spent.