Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 14 Likes Search this Thread
06-12-2011, 05:48 AM   #136
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
I didn't read the whole thread here (seems to have stirred up a hornet's nest), but I have chosen not to be on Facebook. My concern with facebook has nothing to do with privacy and everything to do with my concern that the generation coming on is replacing real relationships with a multitude of shallow friendships on social network sites.

Pentax K-5
S-M-C Takumar 105/2.8

I see the same sort of thing even among grown men. Not so long ago, when my coworkers assembled in our break room at work there would be lots of interaction between the people there. These days, it is mostly practically everybody there staring at their cell phones.

06-12-2011, 07:25 AM   #137
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Mike Cash Quote

I see the same sort of thing even among grown men. Not so long ago, when my coworkers assembled in our break room at work there would be lots of interaction between the people there. These days, it is mostly practically everybody there staring at their cell phones.
Can't see any issue with the shot of the 2 girls. They are possibly being "social" and "communicating". We don't know what they are doing from here - FB is implied. Maybe they are sending a text saying they will be late home or getting directions. If it was texting or FB during a class or they were riding or even walking while doing it then - different story.

As for your work situation, well, the fact that they are "grown" doesn't mean that excludes them from using another communication and information tool. Are they "staring" or "doing"?
It would be nice if you had more direct communication with your co-workers during your break for sure. Maybe they would like the same too. I've been in plenty of work situations where people go there own way during "breaks" (off to pay bills or run errands or some stay and do more work) and some where there has been a lot of interaction and some where initial interaction dies and small groups are formed.
I will be the first to agree that sometimes FB, phones and texting are overdone (according to my basis but not necessarily to others). I'm really not in a place to judge others on their use because it is their choice (just as it is someone's choice not to use those resources). What I don't personally believe in is "throwing the baby out with the bath water".
Much of this discussion would have been relevant some years ago but would have been about the internet in general and much of it could be now generalised to the internet now. FB is just one aspect of it but it *does* tend to centralise a lot (maybe too much now). For me it's a brilliant place to keep up with a lot of sports I follow and to keep me informed on what's happening with some of my friends who are a bit distant. Some of them I'd prefer to be a bit distant.
06-12-2011, 09:13 AM   #138
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Well-said Bill.

06-12-2011, 09:20 AM   #139
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by DRabbit Quote
Well-said Bill.

On the average, that is not the case and you both are naive if you believe they are figuring out the way home on google earth. The way to a party, maybe.

06-12-2011, 12:35 PM   #140
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Bill_R Quote
Can't see any issue with the shot of the 2 girls. They are possibly being "social" and "communicating". We don't know what they are doing from here - FB is implied. Maybe they are sending a text saying they will be late home or getting directions. If it was texting or FB during a class or they were riding or even walking while doing it then - different story.

As for your work situation, well, the fact that they are "grown" doesn't mean that excludes them from using another communication and information tool. Are they "staring" or "doing"?
It would be nice if you had more direct communication with your co-workers during your break for sure. Maybe they would like the same too. I've been in plenty of work situations where people go there own way during "breaks" (off to pay bills or run errands or some stay and do more work) and some where there has been a lot of interaction and some where initial interaction dies and small groups are formed.
I will be the first to agree that sometimes FB, phones and texting are overdone (according to my basis but not necessarily to others). I'm really not in a place to judge others on their use because it is their choice (just as it is someone's choice not to use those resources). What I don't personally believe in is "throwing the baby out with the bath water".
Much of this discussion would have been relevant some years ago but would have been about the internet in general and much of it could be now generalised to the internet now. FB is just one aspect of it but it *does* tend to centralise a lot (maybe too much now). For me it's a brilliant place to keep up with a lot of sports I follow and to keep me informed on what's happening with some of my friends who are a bit distant. Some of them I'd prefer to be a bit distant.
A friend who is near is better than a brother far away. I find it more than rude when those who are in the company of "supposed" friends find it necessary to check out of the conversation in order to spend time either texting, checking e mails, etc. My family gathered at Christmas time last year and my sister spent an hour on her laptop "facebooking" while the rest of us conversed and had fun. Occasionally she would interject a comment to show she was listening, but to me it was emblematic of a deeper problem.

I have no problem with social networking sites, but I am not naive either and realize that when a person spends an hour or two a day on them, something will have to suffer as a result. What I have seen is that it is time for friends and family that are close by that ends up suffering.
06-12-2011, 12:57 PM   #141
Veteran Member

A friend who is near is better than a brother far away. I find it more than rude when those who are in the company of "supposed" friends find it necessary to check out of the conversation in order to spend time either texting, checking e mails, etc. My family gathered at Christmas time last year and my sister spent an hour on her laptop "facebooking" while the rest of us conversed and had fun. Occasionally she would interject a comment to show she was listening, but to me it was emblematic of a deeper problem.

I have no problem with social networking sites, but I am not naive either and realize that when a person spends an hour or two a day on them, something will have to suffer as a result. What I have seen is that it is time for friends and family that are close by that ends up suffering.
I 100% agree with you and think that type of behavior is both rude, obnoxious and immature. I've seen it first hand as well, both in family and social situations and I am equally upset by it as I think it shows a lack of respect for the people you're with and it inevitably compromises relationships when people act that way. Maybe I am naive in thinking that people can (with more experience and maturity) responsibly balance their time and energy such that something like FB becomes a positive, helpful tool and not a negative force that compromises important relationships. Perhaps I am projecting my own ability to balance these things on others and am too quick to give more people the benefit of the doubt. I suppose time will tell as FB is going to be here a while (at least until the next FB takes its place).
06-12-2011, 01:00 PM   #142
Veteran Member

Facebook is not implied, nor should it be inferred. As far as I know, Facebook is practically unheard of in Japan. There are similar sites, though.

They were both riding and staring at their phones....not an unusual sight here. It has become somewhat of a challenge in this country to get a photo of anyone on the street who is not staring at their phone...be they walking, riding, or driving.

I have seen groups in restaurants....friends who went out to dine together....and every single one of them were staring at their phones. Same for carloads of friends out for a drive together....every single one of them staring at their phones. It would be comical, were it not so sad.

QuoteQuote:
The fact that they are grown means they grew up in a time when people in a room together interacted with each other rather than ignore everyone present and communicate with people who aren't there. The point isn't whether they are "staring" or "doing" but that they are "ignoring".

06-12-2011, 01:02 PM   #143
Veteran Member

It has become somewhat of a challenge in this country to get a photo of anyone on the street who is not staring at their phone...be they walking, riding, or driving.

I have seen groups in restaurants....friends who went out to dine together....and every single one of them were staring at their phones. Same for carloads of friends out for a drive together....every single one of them staring at their phones. It would be comical, were it not so sad.
See my post above, I actually fully agree with you on this one
06-12-2011, 04:28 PM   #144
Site Supporter

Um, since when did I make a single mention of anyone in the company of "supposed" friends?
I also find that rude at times depending on the situation. Friends can often do their own thing while in each others company. If you can't, at times, then I'd question the "supposed" friendship (as you put it).
I've also found it rude when my cousin would vanish at Christmas gatherings and head off to read a book. Well, I'd find it rude then but have learnt more understanding and tolerance now. I respect others choices much more and don't see a point in judging someone else or getting myself upset or stressed out over what someone else chooses to do. It would be rude for me to not respect their choice.
Does the behaviour you mention actually interfere with you? Would you like it to be different and is making it different within your control? Unfortunately, there are unreasonably high expectations of Christmas gatherings at times. Some of us have learnt that the hard way. Issues with family members often run deeper than specific situations.
Yes there are times for "other" things. Same deal with anything isn't it? You might even get a complaint from a wife whose husband spends way too much time going out with his camera and taking photos when she thinks he should be spending more time with her. Choose your balance that best suits your own "environment".
06-12-2011, 04:40 PM   #145
Site Supporter

Facebook is not implied, nor should it be inferred. As far as I know, Facebook is practically unheard of in Japan. There are similar sites, though.

They were both riding and staring at their phones....not an unusual sight here. It has become somewhat of a challenge in this country to get a photo of anyone on the street who is not staring at their phone...be they walking, riding, or driving.

The fact that they are grown means they grew up in a time when people in a room together interacted with each other rather than ignore everyone present and communicate with people who aren't there. The point isn't whether they are "staring" or "doing" but that they are "ignoring".
I can't understand how someone "staring" at a phone (as you put it) in a restaurant has any impact on you at all. Is it really any of your business unless they *directly* impact on you? That's their thing - not yours. You seem to make major generalisations as if it is everybody. Well, I know from my exposure and circles that it most certainly isn't.
If I felt I was being ignored in the environments I was in and I wanted to not "be ignored" then I'd look for an environment that the potential to offer more of what I was looking for. You've found one here and I don't doubt there are many other avenues open to you.
"Sad" is from your perspective. To some others the perspective might be that it is sad that you feel that way - and on and on ...
06-12-2011, 04:50 PM   #146
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
FYI - I find the kind of behavior being talked about, or any such thing... texting, social-networking, lap-topping, etc.... while in the company of others socializing, very rude. Again, don't blame the medium, blame the people.

For what it's worth I have tried to teach my kids NOT to do it. I don't let them text at a restaurant when we're eating together... or at the dinner table at home for that matter. I do not let them talk on their cellphone either in similar situations, including but not limited to paying a cashier, listening to the person standing there who is trying to talk to you, movies, plays and other theater events, etc. I don't do it myself and I even pull over when I get a call on my own cellphone (and do have hands-free BT in car). I try to be a good example to my kids. Other than leaders of a country, no one is THAT important that they can't wait, or at least excuse themselves for five minutes. My parents wouldn't let me talk on the phone when I had friends over, and it's the same thing.

The fact our society as a whole has to walk around with their blue-tooth attached to their face is really quite rude, and it was going on long before FB even got that popular. You better be darn near free of this kind of behavior if you're in this thread criticizing it. You might think it's important to talk to your wife or your boss while standing at the cashier and paying, BUT IT'S F'ING RUDE to everyone around you and we all don't give a crap how important you think you are.

Husband and I have a new phrase when we see a lone person on the street talking. "Blue Tooth or Bat-Shit Crazy?"

And it has ABSOLUTELY NOTHING do to with Facebook... or even the cellphones themselves. It's called having manners.

Last edited by DRabbit; 06-12-2011 at 04:57 PM.
06-12-2011, 04:58 PM   #147
Veteran Member

Please ignore all my lady friends on my FB
06-12-2011, 06:05 PM   #148
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
While each and everyone of you are entitled to your opinion, I am also entitled to mine.

This video pretty much summarizes the absurdity known as as Facebook.

06-12-2011, 09:56 PM   #149

It's not about being "off the grid" it's about how Facebook uses your private info, how they sell it and profit from it, and sometimes they do it without telling you. In fact, Facebook exists to do that. So it's nothing like buying something online really. Not from a usual website.
That said, I really hate Facebook but I'm on it because it seems necessary. However, I tell them nothing about myself, never have given them my phone#, never post photos or artwork (because then they own them -- read the fine print). They own all the data you willingly give them -- other sites do not do that.

Just be aware -- any photos you post on Facebook you are giving to them to use however they please. Without crediting you too.

I find Facebook useful in some ways but I make sure I use them -- they don't use me.
06-13-2011, 05:49 AM - 1 Like   #150
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Um, since when did I make a single mention of anyone in the company of "supposed" friends?
I also find that rude at times depending on the situation. Friends can often do their own thing while in each others company. If you can't, at times, then I'd question the "supposed" friendship (as you put it).
I've also found it rude when my cousin would vanish at Christmas gatherings and head off to read a book. Well, I'd find it rude then but have learnt more understanding and tolerance now. I respect others choices much more and don't see a point in judging someone else or getting myself upset or stressed out over what someone else chooses to do. It would be rude for me to not respect their choice.
Does the behaviour you mention actually interfere with you? Would you like it to be different and is making it different within your control? Unfortunately, there are unreasonably high expectations of Christmas gatherings at times. Some of us have learnt that the hard way. Issues with family members often run deeper than specific situations.
Yes there are times for "other" things. Same deal with anything isn't it? You might even get a complaint from a wife whose husband spends way too much time going out with his camera and taking photos when she thinks he should be spending more time with her. Choose your balance that best suits your own "environment".
I am a family doctor and it is routine occurrence that people are busy with cell phones, etc. even while I am trying to talk to them about what brings them in. This is true both for parents and for their kids. I guess in point of fact, you are right that it doesn't effect me. I am still able to get the information that I need from them, but I do find it disrespectful and I am frequently tempted to leave the room and tell them to let my nurse know when they are ready to put their cell phone down and pay attention.

I find that cell phones and social networking sites have a lot stronger tendency to pull people into this behavior than other hobbies (say photography). I could be wrong, but I see society tolerating behavior that should not be tolerated, even if it "harms no one directly."