Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
06-08-2011, 03:43 AM   #16
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Mike Cash Quote
I have sometimes wondered what the reaction among devout Christians in America to the Canon brand if they knew the origins of the brand name.
Do tell. Anything that ... ooops. I was about to get into forbidden territory but I think I recovered in time.

Phew.

06-08-2011, 04:32 AM - 1 Like   #17
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Todd Adamson Quote
I've been a huge Nikon fan for a long time, and more recently have also become a Pentax fan. I am a working pro, so of course I am asked for camera purchasing advice almost daily by friends, familiy, and total strangers. I like to think that I always give people a fair overview of the available systems. I know I inject a little bias, but I am also up front about that. I really hate it when someone says, to a beginner, you have to have this or that system. Occasionally there are very good specific reasons to push someone on one direction, but almost never. Especially with beginners. Annoying.
Words of wisdom, Todd.

My Nikkormat FT3 and Nikkor 50mm 1.4 made some beautiful images. The F2 photomic and lenses I borrowed were very nice. So was my Braun Paxette rangefinder. My K200D and K5 still thrill me. I'm using a shot from my old Kodak 5mp P&S as the desktop background on one of my machines.

I would never tell someone that their camera choice was wrong. That's an awful thing to do.

If someone wants to buy a Canon, Nikon, Olympus, Hasselblad or a nameless P&S, congratulate them on their decision. They're going to buy it anyway. Just be their friend and, when they ask, their advisor. If they start asking questions about the next step up, just give them the facts and let them make the decisions. If they decide to buy a D700 or a 5DMkII, congratulate them. It's their choice, their money and their happiness.

If someone sneers at your camera choice, thank them for their opinion and wish them a nice day. (You're not going to change their mind whatever you do.) You're allowed to have private thoughts about their sanity

Most of all, enjoy your encounters with other photographers. Know that you've got good stuff and put your mind to taking photographs.

I hope this makes sense.

Richard.
06-08-2011, 04:50 AM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by RichardS Quote
Do tell. Anything that ... ooops. I was about to get into forbidden territory but I think I recovered in time.

Phew.
"Canon" comes from 観音 (Kannon), a major Buddhist deity.
06-08-2011, 01:17 PM   #19
Pentaxian

You're not going to change their mind whatever you do.
I agree with your general point, but not about this. It's possible to have a discussion with someone and change their minds. I personaly have no shame saying "I did not know that" or "I had not seen things this way"

06-08-2011, 06:50 PM   #20
Veteran Member

If someone wants to buy a Canon, Nikon, Olympus, Hasselblad or a nameless P&S, congratulate them on their decision. They're going to buy it anyway. Just be their friend and, when they ask, their advisor. If they start asking questions about the next step up, just give them the facts and let them make the decisions. If they decide to buy a D700 or a 5DMkII, congratulate them. It's their choice, their money and their happiness.
I couldn't agree more, putting down anyones choice is poor manners and achieves nothing.

OTOH if people are genuinely wanting to know which brand to choose for their first DSLR I point out the good and bad of each system including Pentax. So far I'm 2 from 2 though for Pentax, lol.
06-08-2011, 08:00 PM   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

humorous? don't you mean depressing?

QuoteOriginally posted by Todd Adamson Quote
I really hate it when someone says, to a beginner, you have to have this or that system. Occasionally there are very good specific reasons to push someone on one direction, but almost never. Especially with beginners. Annoying.
I loathe the brand based clique culture, I find it abhorrent. I use Canon,Nikon Pentax and Leica cameras - and at the end of the day the end result - the image, is all that matters not what you used to get it. It also ticks me off that people will sometimes ask for the EXIF, with the mistaken belief that it will uncover some mystical insight into how the photograph was made.

You get the same thing in the music world, you aren't a real flautist until you fork over 14K on a Murumatsu silver flute. You aren't a real oboist until you fork out 12K on a marigeaux oboe. The funny thing Is that one of the best flute teachers I have ever had played a no-name stainless steel flute that was so old the case for it was held together with thick red rubber bands - but the sound he got out of it was absolutely amazing. And I was playing a solid 14K gold flute, and at that time in my university studies I didn't sound that great (but I was still better than my colleagues).
06-12-2011, 07:07 AM   #22
Veteran Member

Maybe the "photo advisor" was teaching this person to shoot and had other Cannon and Nikon lenses available for them to use. They did say that they knew nothing about DSLR's. Just a thought.

----

Somewhat related, but not. I was a car show last week. I had my K7 + DA15 and started to notice a girl looking in my direction. I didn't pay much attention to her at first. A few minutes later, we cross path's again. She makes eye contact, looks down at my camera, shakes her head in disgust, and walks away.

She had a Nikon.

If she would have brought a Pentax, then she wouldn't have gotten upset.

06-12-2011, 08:16 AM   #23
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by r0ckstarr Quote
...She makes eye contact, looks down at my camera, shakes her head in disgust, and walks away. She had a Nikon. If she would have brought a Pentax, then she wouldn't have gotten upset.
That is just sad....that girl needs therapy

I had a few Leicaphiles snub me once just because I was using a Konica hexar for some street shooting. I had a moment vindication - I had to laugh when they were re-loading their M7's and M6's- Leica rangefinders are a real pain in the neck when it comes to changing films - the Konica Hexar uses back door film loading like just about every other 35mm camera made since the 90's - open the back,take out the finished film, drop in a new canister pull the leader across, close the back and let the electronic(and very quiet) film winder advance to the first frame.When those old codgers saw that they just frowned at me even more, and I didn't care at all.