Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-06-2011, 06:37 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I think you will find this quite humorous.

So I am attempting to sell my Kx to fund my recent purchase of the K7. I had it listed on Craigslist and had a potential buyer. We had gone back and forth in 5 or 6 emails, and had a time set to meet tomorrow to complete the sale. I have everything packed up and ready to go.

Then I get this email.....

"My photo adviser says to only purchase Canon or Nikon. Sorry - I know very little about dslr camera's so I must trust her advise. Good luck with your sale. It looks like a great camera."

This is what I said in response, knowing the sale had already been lost...

'Thats understandable. I do find it to be quite humorous though. This seems to be the never ending debate. Canon and Nikon being the only reliable cameras. We could say the same about Honda and Nissan. Leaving Toyota Ford Chevy Hyundai all being inferior. I hope you take no offense to this, as I do not know you or your friend. But I believe the comment "only purchase Canon or Nikon" says that little time has been taken into doing research. Pentax makes some amazing cameras. Its true that they do not take up as much of the market as Canon or Nikon, but this is not due to quality or performance. The Kx has often been compared to higher priced Canon and Nikons and has performed better.

I ask you to take some time and watch some reviews online of the Pentax K-x and then make your decision. And please do not simply rule them out simply because they are not Canon or Nikon. Even if you do not purchase from me. I hope that you do put some time into doing some serious research. I, too, purchased the Kx as my first camera, and have purchased 2 more since then. Canon and Nikon are good cameras, but I think alot of people suggest them as being "better" simply because their name gets thrown around more.

Here are just a few. I hope you will look over them and think about it further.
"

06-06-2011, 06:43 PM   #2

Photos: Gallery
I actually had someone come up to me at the beach and look at my K-5 and say "you know your cameras." We had a nice chat about the different brands, and while he had a Nikon D90, he acknowledged that most people only buy what gets pushed in front of them, no matter what is best.

I had similar experiences when I had my K10.
06-06-2011, 06:49 PM   #3
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by SlickYamaha Quote
"My photo adviser says to only purchase Canon or Nikon. Sorry - I know very little about dslr camera's so I must trust her advise. Good luck with your sale. It looks like a great camera."
My photo advisor gave me exactly the same advice 18 months ago, good thing I ignored it
06-06-2011, 07:18 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Yeah, I am just completely annoyed/in disbelief. I have had people give me the "Pentax huh?" Chuckle, but this is totally different. I dont want to bash the womans friend out of respect, but its obvious that they do not know about cameras if their first response is "only buy canon or nikon"

06-06-2011, 07:20 PM   #5

Sell your Pentax gear here. Craiglist is full of flakes anyway.
06-06-2011, 07:34 PM   #6
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter

I agree Jay, you'll find more interest here also.

But as for the common disdain of Pentax, it's not going away any time soon. If all the top pros are shooting with 1Ds and D3Xs, then all the amateurs and newbies should be sticking to those brands' cameras because they will just be better.

Pentax is for the more discerning enthusiast.
06-06-2011, 07:44 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by napawino Quote
Sell your Pentax gear here. Craiglist is full of flakes anyway.
Yes, it is listed here, actually for $50 less than CL but still no hits.
$600 for white kx, kit lens, 70-300, memory cards, bag, strap and a few other goods. Hopefully not to highly priced...
06-06-2011, 07:59 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

There is an obvious difference between a 'camera advisor' and a 'camera expert' Here is one case in point.

06-06-2011, 08:14 PM   #9
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter

Ah, yes. This one: White K-x, Amazon Basics backpack, 8GB Memory Card, Tamron 70-300, Many other i (US) - PentaxForums.com. You may get better luck by splitting at least the bag and telephoto lens from the package, Jay.
06-06-2011, 08:49 PM   #10
Veteran Member

My daughter, having recently expressed an interest in photography, respectfully requested that I get her a "good" camera for her graduation, like a Nikon or a Canon. I complied, & got her a KX..... she'll thank me later.
06-07-2011, 03:17 AM   #11
Inactive Account

Photos: Albums
^^Bahahaha, your daughter surely will thank you later. My 'camera advisor' thankfully was a Pentax shooter, despite what everyone else said, I trusted his advice, got a K-7, and haven't been sorry
06-07-2011, 04:28 AM   #12
Pentaxian

Did the potential buyer at least reply?
06-07-2011, 06:37 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Yes, I actually just got the reply saying "I'll take your advice and do some more research". I doubt it though.
06-07-2011, 07:26 AM   #14
Veteran Member

I've been a huge Nikon fan for a long time, and more recently have also become a Pentax fan. I am a working pro, so of course I am asked for camera purchasing advice almost daily by friends, familiy, and total strangers. I like to think that I always give people a fair overview of the available systems. I know I inject a little bias, but I am also up front about that. I really hate it when someone says, to a beginner, you have to have this or that system. Occasionally there are very good specific reasons to push someone on one direction, but almost never. Especially with beginners. Annoying.
06-07-2011, 10:05 PM   #15
Veteran Member

I have sometimes wondered what the reaction among devout Christians in America to the Canon brand if they knew the origins of the brand name.