Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-14-2007, 01:44 AM   #31
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
You know, I think the typical poster here on Pentax Forums could just walk in with his camera bag, show the clerk the inside, and look enough like a pro to the schmo behind the counter to remove any doubts.

There's a photo studio chain here in Japan which has the unique policy of several months or a year or so later actually giving the (medium format) negatives to the customer, if you can believe that. I have a batch lying next to my computer that I have to get around to scanning one of these days.

11-14-2007, 07:24 AM   #32

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by PDL Quote
I would have asked to see the store manager and I would have requested to see their written policy. People behind the counter can not just make stuff up. (I get my images printed at costco too)

The Elitist - formerly known as PDL
You know had I not been so shocked by the entire thing, I probably would have, but as it was it was all I could do to keep an even keel.

There really should be some kind of written posted policy about it in the store. What exactly constitutes a "Professional Photograph" and what a photographer has to do to prove his/her own work. On what conditions printed photographs will not be sold and what recourse the customer has. Without this information available then it's all a crap shoot whether or not you get your photos..

Yesterday I took the same photos to the kiosk at a Walgreens pharmacy photo counter and tried again to print them. At Walgreens the kiosk prints back to the photo department and does not come out the bottom of the kiosk. So When I went to the counter to pick them up I almost expected the same problem (this time however I had my Camera and kit with me (in the Tamrac Pro 12 case which if you've never seen it is a HUGE bag, very impressive looking) however I didn't need it. The counter person took no notice of the photos, and just gave me the total (cheaper than Sam's Club btw) and gave me the prints.
Well, so much for pathos.

Like anything else in the world a law is only as powerfull as the people enforcing it. The kiosk at Walgreens had the same disclaimer on it about professional photos as every other one I have ever seen, but if the counter person doesn't care there might as well not be a law.

Now, this counter person might have been sharp enough to tell that they were not "Professional Photos" or perhaps I just looked honest to her, I dont know. Whatever the reason I got my prints without faking a business card, faking a waver from a non-existent photographer or arguing untill they gave in. I actually liked these prints better than the ones from the Kodac kiosk at Sam's Club they had a bit more saturation and the color was more accurate.

-John

Last edited by tobiasj; 11-14-2007 at 07:48 AM.
11-14-2007, 07:45 AM   #33
Inactive Account

This just reinforces my personal policy to not shop at Wal-Mart.
11-15-2007, 09:14 AM   #34

Original Poster
This brings me to the obvious follow up question, is there a prosumer printer that outputs good enough prints to feel comfortable giving (selling?) them to others for framing and hanging?

I know my 7760 aint it, a friend of mine has an Epson R1800 and its a LOT nicer than mine, but still not quite that 'pro' look you get from photo centers. Is there something under the cost of a rather nice german car that will give that look?

Thanks,

-John

11-20-2007, 08:07 AM   #35
Inactive Account

My mom had the same problem wanting to copy one of my photos at Walmart. They said it was a professional photo; nothing she said could convince them it wasn't. So she took it to the grocery store and they turned it over - and saw that it had been originally printed (in her Norwegian accent) "on Jewlitt Packard paper." So it was OK to copy. This happened in "Smalltown", South Dakota.

Ja, ja - Irene Sophie
11-20-2007, 11:29 AM   #36
Veteran Member

Here's an idea on how to prove you are the photographer-

Have someone shoot a picture of you holding a sign or something in your studio (perhaps too wide to show the edges.), carry it on your phone or whatever. If they ask, show them you in the space. There you are with the background and a sign saying this is your set up. No "pro" photographer would let you take the picture in their studio, so... they should let you do it without further trouble.
11-28-2007, 11:47 AM   #37
Veteran Member

i'm all about the watermarks. i'm used to prints with white borders, so i work white borders with watermarks along the edge with a (c)[my name] along it. all it takes is showing some ID to prove that i'm the photographer, then
11-29-2007, 01:04 AM   #38
PDL
Pentaxian

Here I go again:
Please read the following article:
Legal Pitfalls in Taking or Using Photographs of Copyright Material, Trademarks and People
It is very - very good and covers a lot of ground. It will make people like me happy and people who are afraid to shoot in the street - cringe.

edit: pay particular attention to part 3. Shooting people

The Elitist - formerly known as PDL

Last edited by PDL; 11-29-2007 at 01:06 AM. Reason: spelling
11-29-2007, 01:28 AM   #39
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have never heard anything so ridiculous, do they want your business or not?
I have never struck anything like that.
Not to make light of it, but just as well the background wasn't the back fence, you could well put them on the spot by dragging the back fence into their premises.

Sorry, perhaps I am a bit over the top there.