Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-13-2011, 10:46 AM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
This will be National news by weeks end.

The IUE-CWA contract with General Electric Co expires on Sunday night and it doesn't look good.GE is self insured and the proposed medical plan is a major stumbling block.Pensions are another issue and GE is sitting on around 50 billion dollars in pension funds that they haven't contributed to in many years.The list goes on and on.I plan on retiring at the end of July but the people still here will be dealing with the consequences of a bad contract if it passes.This will be big news by the end of the week.It doesn't look rosy--but at least the grass is green.--charliezap

Attached Images

06-14-2011, 12:15 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Doesnt look good at all for youngsters Charlie,hoping to do same in short time.
When all the contracts that have been awarded to GE,others,payed for by you
and I,one would expect some sort of good faith effort on managements part.
When one has to look to before emancipation proclamation to find a better
buisness climate than currently enjoyed by buisness,apparent where we're headed.
06-14-2011, 12:48 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by BillM Quote
Doesnt look good at all for youngsters Charlie,hoping to do same in short time.
When all the contracts that have been awarded to GE,others,payed for by you
and I,one would expect some sort of good faith effort on managements part.
When one has to look to before emancipation proclamation to find a better
buisness climate than currently enjoyed by buisness,apparent where we're headed.
Hi Bill-An interesting aside to what's going on at GE is that many management people are rooting for the union to do well with a new contract because they do get some benefits if the union does well.--charliezap
06-14-2011, 11:14 PM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by charliezap Quote
management people are rooting for the union
Im very much in the wrong for an all-inclusive statement such as that Charlie.
Co-workers and I have been approached a number of times on job site's with
solidarity being topic of discussion.Regrettably,cant be more specific because of
retaliation against those folks,by the minority I rant and rave about.

Sympathy and conversation are one thing,standing side by side and presenting
a cohesive front in dire times are another.Time and time again we (organized labor)
during those dire times have stood alone.As hard as it sounds,I stand by my remarks.

Last edited by BillM; 06-15-2011 at 02:12 AM.
06-15-2011, 11:13 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by BillM Quote
I'm very much in the wrong for an all-inclusive statement such as that Charlie.
Co-workers and I have been approached a number of times on job site's with
solidarity being topic of discussion.Regrettably,cant be more specific because of
retaliation against those folks,by the minority I rant and rave about.

Sympathy and conversation are one thing,standing side by side and presenting
a cohesive front in dire times are another.Time and time again we (organized labor)
during those dire times have stood alone.As hard as it sounds,I stand by my remarks.
Hi Bill- the management people that I'm referring to are entry level young people who are getting crushed by the health care costs foisted upon them and their pension plan structure.The real big wigs don't give a flying fig since they are more than amply compensated with many perks that lower level management will never see.--charliezap
06-15-2011, 05:59 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Know what your saying Charlie,no doudt BW's are going to exploit any difference,
and make every effort to turn neighbor agaisnt neighbor.
What angers me most,manner in which human beings are 'played' off of other
human beings for gain.Always been there,always will be.
06-16-2011, 06:35 AM   #7
Inactive Account

Well I am in the middle of buying a house and after we move in we will need to buy a full set of appliances - washer, dryer, and fridge. I emailed whirlpool and GE with a list of the models that they offer which I was considering to find out whose still making their stuff in the US. Neither of them gave a totally straight answer but GE was much more evasive saying

QuoteQuote:
GE manufactures appliances in company owned facilities, both U.S. and abroad. Manufacturing facilities can and do change from time to time because GE continues to seek the most efficient manufacturing processes available. We make products all over the world for a world marketplace.
Whirlpool was much more straightforward saying that while they can't speak to the specific models with certainty that 82% of Whirlpool and Maytag products and the parts are made in the US. So whirlpool is going to get my business.

Apparently, LG and Samsung offer the best commissions because thats what every in store salesperson is pushing. The national big box stores are totally useless because they are more interested in selling financing than they are appliances so to negotiate the best price without signing up for another credit card you have to go to a local dealer.
06-16-2011, 07:11 AM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I hope your negotiations go well.
I know how weird things can get at contract time.
Just remember, never vote against retiree benefits, some day you'll get there too.

06-18-2011, 06:49 AM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by shooz Quote
I hope your negotiations go well.
I know how weird things can get at contract time.
Just remember, never vote against retiree benefits, some day you'll get there too.
Speaking of retirement my last day at GE is scheduled for July 29-2011.---charliezap
06-18-2011, 10:44 AM   #10
Banned

QuoteQuote:
Caselli reminded the crowd that GE made record profits of $14 billion last year and didnít pay any taxes.
GE workers rally against concessions

The Republicans want to give big business and the filthy rich on Wall Street a tax break after Greenspan and his buddies (John Paulson) on Wall Street caused this mess we are in.
Wall Street Winners Get Billion-Dollar Paydays - New York Times
John Paulson Acquires an Alan Greenspan -- Daily Intel

06-18-2011, 10:58 AM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jogiba Quote
GE workers rally against concessions

The Republicans want to give big business and the filthy rich on Wall Street a tax break after Greenspan and his buddies (John Paulson) on Wall Street caused this mess we are in.
Wall Street Winners Get Billion-Dollar Paydays - New York Times
John Paulson Acquires an Alan Greenspan -- Daily Intel

YouTube - ‪Greenspan admits he made a mistake‬‏
Tommorrow night at midnight the contract is up. This is going to be interesting to say the least.--charliezap