Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-14-2011, 08:04 AM - 1 Like   #1
Veteran Member

GOP Presidential Debate:

Well, I watched the GOP debate last night and although I am a Liberal (and always will be) I was surprised at the quality of the debate. One of the most interesting that I have watched.

I expected to be and was impressed by Romney.

Michele Bachmann was the biggest surprise for me, I actually liked her and came away impressed by her courage in firmly stating her position on Gay Marriage and Right to Life - even though these positions will lose her millions of potential votes.

06-14-2011, 08:10 AM - 1 Like   #2
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by stevewig Quote
Well, I watched the GOP debate last night and although I am a Liberal (and always will be) I was surprised at the quality of the debate. One of the most interesting that I have watched.
Are you serious?

It was a trainwreck. Completely and utterly.

re: Bachmann and gay marriage, it was basically "States' rights! States' rights! States' rights!" "Oh, wait... gays? Well then, the Federal government will tell you what to do, homos."

None of these people had a coherent thought in their heads. It's hilarious that they represent the bulk of the GOP field.
06-14-2011, 08:14 AM   #3
Veteran Member

I mean, Bachmann somehow is both in favor of a constitutional amendment and state's rights.

She was one of the stars of the debate.

That's pretty much all you need to know.
06-14-2011, 11:48 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery

Yep, you have to be impressed with Romney talking about how the Taliban army will be the ones that determine Afhganistan's future.

06-14-2011, 12:09 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Romney came off as the least batshit insane, I'll say that for him. (Though at times he did pander a bit to that demographic—see above.)
06-14-2011, 01:34 PM   #6
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Well, at least they all agreed on one critical issue. It's all Obama's fault.
06-14-2011, 01:57 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
For sure they appear articulate and engaging - they would not have gotten to where they are without those basic skills. But the overall theme was the same - get government out of the boardroom and into the bedroom.

It was a win for the presumptive front-runner Romney for the simple fact that nobody distinguished themselves from him.

I can't wait until Palin joins!

06-14-2011, 03:35 PM   #8
Forum Member

Michele Bachmann was the biggest surprise for me, I actually liked her and came away impressed by her courage in firmly stating her position on Gay Marriage and Right to Life - even though these positions will lose her millions of potential votes.
Yikes. You are a liberal and were impressed by those dingbats? Obama has confused me on some things but to blame him for basically everything? You are surely being sarcastic. Especially Bachman. She and Palin are both wack jobs and have very strange/ignorant ideas of right, wrong and American history.

I apologize if you were being sarcastic....
06-14-2011, 04:49 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by KLSMpls Quote
Yikes. You are a liberal and were impressed by those dingbats? Obama has confused me on some things but to blame him for basically everything? You are surely being sarcastic. Especially Bachman. She and Palin are both wack jobs and have very strange/ignorant ideas of right, wrong and American history.

I apologize if you were being sarcastic....
No apologies necessary!

In my humble opinion, it is not (always) necessary to disrespect your political opponents when you cannot agree with their policies.

When you hear good rhetoric (and all politics is rhetoric - as opposed to fact) then it is possible to acknowledge this without necessarily accepting their argument(s).

Of course, last night was full of rhetoric - just as a Democratic session would be - but there was some surprises for me, particularly from Bachmann. Besides, I do respect Romney, regardless of his politics!
06-15-2011, 03:58 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Sorry I missed it. Unfortunately, I was working late--actually doing what small businessmen do when they have taken sick days.
06-15-2011, 06:14 AM   #11
Veteran Member

The funniest part was in the introductions, where nearly all of them gave their breeder credentials... except Newt... which Bachman won with her 23 foster kids as well as the birth kids, but which Paul tried to top with how many thousands of babies he's delivered.

Apparently breeding - as in procreation, not family background and social education - is a critical component of Republican politics.