Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-01-2007, 10:43 PM   #31
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
Cartier-Bresson lived many decades ago in France. Using him as an example of someone doing photo-journalism and "getting away with it" is like comparing apples with oranges: different times, different laws, different culture. We live in a very litigious society where you can have a lawsuit slapped on you faster than you can blink. Furthermore, putting images on the internet can have greater repercussions for the simple matter that it has a much broader audience and the chances of that image being used in a potentially damaging way is greater.

For me, it's just not worth the aggravation as I've mentioned here several times now. If you believe the risk is worth taking, then by all means. I don't.

12-02-2007, 12:43 AM   #32
PDL
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
OK one more place to go and read --- and I mean read this just don't sit and say --- oh no not another site. (Hint - look at section three)
Legal Pitfalls in Taking or Using Photographs of Copyright Material, Trademarks and People

Look here too:
How to Photograph People When Traveling
and here:
Photographing People When Traveling

Treat people with respect and they will usually respond in kind - except for those who prefer to take themselves too important.

Would I take a street image - and put in on the internet - if it was a good picture yes. Just because one individual threatens you is not a reason to give up on a entire class of photographic subjects.

By the way - could you please point to an instance where someone was sued for putting an image on the internet - and the subject won? Just one joe-blow - anyone?

The Elitist - formerly known as PDL
11-05-2009, 03:56 PM   #33

Model Release Needed in Crowds?

What happens if you take a picture in a Large Event with thousands of people in the picture. With today's high-resolution images, it is very possible to capture an image in which hundreds of people can be recognized when cropped. So, my question is do we have to get release from everyone at a event such as this?

A good example of this issue, is my recent trip to China. Inside the Forbidden City, there were probably 3-5 thousand tourist in the square, the paths, steps and along the terrace of the buildings. Most of them are quite recognizable in the picture when blown up. How does the law apply to this situation for model release requirement?
11-05-2009, 04:22 PM   #34
Damn Brit

It depends on whether the image is intended for commercial purposes or not.