Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-12-2007, 09:25 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
TSA and Pocket Wizards

Has anybody traveled recently in the US with Pocket Wizards? (or other radio flash controllers) Any problems getting through Airport security with them?

Thanks in advance.

11-12-2007, 07:16 PM   #2

I've traveled with cactus gadget infinity triggers in my bag with no problems. Have the bag hand checked - let them know you have camera equipment and need a hand check - otherwise you might set off the x-ray scanner. =)
11-13-2007, 03:27 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Mattp9 Quote
I've traveled with cactus gadget infinity triggers in my bag with no problems. Have the bag hand checked - let them know you have camera equipment and need a hand check - otherwise you might set off the x-ray scanner. =)

Thanks for the response Matt. I am traveling over Thanksgiving (lord help me), I'm supposed to do the family portrait this year, and would hate to disappoint everyone.
11-13-2007, 08:25 AM   #4
Veteran Member

the other option, depending on where you are headed, would be to ship certain things. I travel a lot for business and haven't needed/wanted to do this yet, but I have co-workers with similar travel demands who have, in some cases, shipped at least some luggage to their final desitnation rather than deal with checking it/paying for excess baggage fees, etc etc.

though, haven't done that with my camera stuff yet. havent traveled previously with more than a p&s, but as long as you are friendly and polite, TSA folks seem to be OK. As with my other stuff (medical equipment), i find it helps to bring a manual to explain what the device is, in case you get a really inquisitive one.

11-13-2007, 04:40 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks, I did think of that, but I need them this weekend, and over night delivery is just too expensive. I did speak to TSA today. They said it should be OK, just pull them out of the bag and put them in a tray to be x rayed.

I'll let you all know how it works out.
11-13-2007, 04:52 PM   #6
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I'd also suggest you take the batteries out of anything that they may question if possible. That way the item is non functional. If the transmitters use a standard replaceable battery then you can just pick up more when you get there.

Also when you check in ask if it's better to put that sort of thing in the checked luggage. I've put items that would be a hassle as carry on, in the checked bag that weren't an issue checked.
11-13-2007, 05:52 PM   #7
Veteran Member

I don't disagree with you, Peter - but I'd have a knot in my stomach if I put a $300 (+?) pair of pocket wizards in a checked bag - just hope you find it at the other end of your flight... (the bag that is!)

Then again, I've never flown, maybe lost luggage doesn't happen as often as they make it sound in the news..

11-13-2007, 06:56 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Oh it does, believe me. Which is why I don't check luggage, unless I absolutely have to. This is a quick 2 day trip for Thanksgiving. My carry on will be loaded with light stands a tripod and umbrellas. If I have room , I might put a change of clothes in there.

Seriously, I would not put anything of value in checked luggage. You have no control over it once it is out of your sight.
11-13-2007, 07:21 PM   #9
Inactive Account

placing your camera in checked-in luggage is a no-no.

i recently arrived in the US a month ago from the philippines. handcarried with me 2 camera bodies (k1000 and k100), DA kit lens, 50f2, an olf vvitar flash, 5 rolls of film.. no problems with HLsecurity and xray.. they were a bit tighter in germany last july, they took the camera out and did a test shot to make sure it was a camera..