Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-13-2007, 01:10 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
You Make The Diagnosis

I will start this by saying that this thread could be a waste of your time as the subject is very much in the past.
The first K1000 I had would, after some years, demonstrate what I supposed was a light leak. But where? And I remind you I no longer have the camera and never found the problem. This discussion is all conjecture.
As you look at a print made from the camera, holding it landscape ways and divided that print into three areas vertically, just about the last third of the negative and subsequent print would have a vertical line of varying thickness from over exposure to light.
This condition would happen infrequently and I could never quite tell under what circumstances.
I was just wondering if some of you would want to have a guess at the problem or if anyone else has has similar issues. As I say, I no longer have the camera but can tell you more from memory only.
I first put electrical tape all around the film door; both ends since the lines ran from top to bottom, film sprocket tab to tab.
I could not see an obvious tear in the shutter curtain but you would think that would fall more in the center of the image. This was just beginning in the right, third portion of the negative/print and falling over. Sometimes on a 4x6 landscape print for example, the line would be as narrow as a quarter of an inch and other times effect the last 2 inches.
Anyone like to have a guess?

11-13-2007, 01:55 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Are you sure this is a light leak, and not an intermittently stocking trailing curtan for the shutter. Width of th eband will be a function of shutter speed.
11-14-2007, 01:54 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
It could be a light leak from a bad seal inside the door next to the hinge. I've had that with Yashica Electro 35s (which uniformly require redoing of the seals). The degree of the effect could vary according to where you left the camera and for how long, I suppose.

Fortunately, light seals are usually incredibly easy to replace on one's own. The old material has to be removed first. Lighter fluid makes a good solvent and any narrow tool can be used to scrape the material out; toothpicks, tweezers, and flat blade screwdrivers work fine. The new material can be just about anything black and pliable that you can cut and glue into position. I have used strips cut from craft felt (with a pre-glued backing), black yarn, and even pieces of thin felt with a rubberized backing cut from the sheets used to go under the paper for Japanese calligraphy. Just be sure not to use super glue, since the fumes can coat the inside surfaces of the camera. I have always done it on leaf shutter rangefingers, and that would mean the inside surface of the lens getting a super glue patina on it. With a snug enough fit, glue is only necessary on the ends of the strips.
11-14-2007, 03:27 AM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
Are you sure this is a light leak, and not an intermittently stocking trailing curtan for the shutter. Width of th eband will be a function of shutter speed.
That was my thought also. This theory only makes sense with a horizontal shutter. I'm not sure if the shutter in the K1000 is horizontal or vertical. Anybody know?

11-14-2007, 05:54 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

the k1000 is a horizontal cloth shutter same as my KX
11-14-2007, 08:55 AM   #6
Veteran Member

That would have been my guess as well.
I had the seal crumble apart on 1 Pentax making it easy to picture.