Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-25-2011, 04:16 PM   #16
K-9
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by magkelly Quote
You're a long time seller. For me actually a lot of those rules simply wouldn't apply. Ebay and Pal Pal have gotten absolutely ridiculous about a lot of things when it comes to non-established sellers. There's a lot more risk than there was for sellers and the length of time you can wait now to be paid as a newer seller is absurd. I've been reading in the Ebay forums for about a year, debating on joining to sell? After reading for a while I was totally turned off by the idea. Between the fees, having to use Pay Pal, and the risk of charge backs, phishing schemes, and theft I'm not impressed. For a novice seller Ebay and Pay Pal don't look like a very safe bet to me.
All the things I mention to you should apply, new seller or not. Those settings should be available to even new sellers. New sellers can insure/track their packages and charge the buyer. New sellers can take extra pictures of everything, and new sellers get the same paypal verified address to ship to as established ones.

The only thing I have heard with new sellers is that there is a hold time on your funds before you can use them, but it can't be very long. I am sure it coincides with the timeframe for which the buyer is expected to receive it. Once they get it, and paypal is comfortable you provided the item to them, they should release it.

Ebay forums seem to be only people voicing complaints. I wouldn't judge anything by that. You have no higher risk as a new seller over old sellers as far as charge backs and phishing. Just follow what I said, about tracking packages, photographing for establishing the fact you shipped it in sound condition, and never going to paypal and ebay through anything else but your own bookmark or typed in address, and you'll be fine. I've never heard of someone being so scared. It's very worthwhile, with little risk in my opinion. So you have to wait a little longer for your money, big deal. I'm sure once your feedback hits a certain rating, your seller funds will become available immediately.

As far as fees, nearly every site you sell on (except this one) charges something. Ebay is pretty reasonable. Amazon takes more of a cut than Ebay.

QuoteOriginally posted by krp Quote
For me the worst part about selling on ebay is you never really know what the final bid will be. I just sold a lens for a little higher than I expected. But it's frustrating when something worth $150+ only sells for $30 and the winning bidder is a reseller.
Set a reserve price or set the starting bid higher. Why set a $150 item at a $10 starting bid? Start it at $110.

06-25-2011, 04:35 PM   #17
Veteran Member

+1 to everything K-9 said.

I believe it's a 21 day hold for new sellers, or the money can get released upon positive feedback from the buyer (at least last time I checked).
03-17-2012, 09:49 PM   #18
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by magkelly Quote
I'm extremely careful about not giving too much personal info, about meeting in a public place, making sure that where I do meet someone has some security in place that I'm not just meeting in a parking lot or whatever. I take a cell with me, let someone know where I am going and when I'm supposed to be back, that kind of thing. I never let people just come to my house or give out the house phone # versus the throw away cell. I hate being this paranoid but there have been some really bad things that have happened off of ads posted on CL, muggings, rapes, and the like and I'd rather lose a sale than risk personal injury.
Frankly I think most of what you said about Craigslist should be required reading for newbies listing there. I'm not sure I would ever use it. Unless I went over what you said as a sort of checklist. I know lots of legitimate people use it... but jeez, there's just so much weirdness out there that you can't be too careful. Yes, being that "paranoid" sucks, but if it keeps you safe then call it caution instead.
On the other hand, I've used eBay for quite a few years, infrequently, mostly buying stuff I can't get locally, & have sold a few things. Have only had a couple of bad transactions, one non-paying bidder, & a defective item which I returned for a refund & the seller says he never got (still waiting out Cda Post's lost-package deadline before claiming on that one, & no, Paypal didn't help).
You can check out the feedback of the people you may be dealing with, which you can't do on CL. That's a huge plus for me. I won't buy from someone with a bunch of negatives. And as was mentioned, you can check your PP account to be sure you have been paid, before shipping anything. The scammy e-mails are pretty clear, most of the time.
I'd recommend giving eBay a try over CL, any day.
Just my 2 cents
03-18-2012, 06:13 PM   #19
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by K-9 Quote
All the things I mention to you should apply, new seller or not. Those settings should be available to even new sellers. New sellers can insure/track their packages and charge the buyer. New sellers can take extra pictures of everything, and new sellers get the same paypal verified address to ship to as established ones.

The only thing I have heard with new sellers is that there is a hold time on your funds before you can use them, but it can't be very long. I am sure it coincides with the timeframe for which the buyer is expected to receive it. Once they get it, and paypal is comfortable you provided the item to them, they should release it.

Ebay forums seem to be only people voicing complaints. I wouldn't judge anything by that. You have no higher risk as a new seller over old sellers as far as charge backs and phishing. Just follow what I said, about tracking packages, photographing for establishing the fact you shipped it in sound condition, and never going to paypal and ebay through anything else but your own bookmark or typed in address, and you'll be fine. I've never heard of someone being so scared. It's very worthwhile, with little risk in my opinion. So you have to wait a little longer for your money, big deal. I'm sure once your feedback hits a certain rating, your seller funds will become available immediately.

As far as fees, nearly every site you sell on (except this one) charges something. Ebay is pretty reasonable. Amazon takes more of a cut than Ebay.

Set a reserve price or set the starting bid higher. Why set a $150 item at a $10 starting bid? Start it at $110.
Yes, many of the setting are available for new sellers. What isn't the same is how the handle the money. They now hold the money, meaning they get to gain interest off of millions of dollars every day, on sales by sellers with <25 confirmed sales for up to 60 days (they say that its up to 21 or so but that is NOT what is being reported around the net). Basically, if you do not get a + review by the buyer your money is held by PP so that they can give it to the buyer if the complain. This change in their policy is a BIG win for PP but is very hard on small sellers with limited overhead and reserves to float all that money for PP for several "weeks" with no guarantee of it ever coming to them.