Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-27-2011, 05:36 PM   #16
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by GeneV Quote
Why does the paycheck have anything to do with this?
That was what I asked when W said they were going to be made Federal employees. The implication being that the private sector couldn't be trusted to do the job effectively.

06-27-2011, 05:52 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I too am displeased to read these sorts of stories - but I'm also cogniscent of which particular news "Agency" is carrying it... (Yes, I am ashamed of the Ex-Patriot Australian who does weild far too much media control/distribution.. but thats another thread...) But... Do you guys actually believe those TSA guys got up this morning and thought it'd be a good 'laugh' to do that ? Perhaps a poor judgement call - but I would NOT call it intentional 'abuse of the elderly'.

I don't think most of the employees working security these days 'enjoy' what they have to put members of the public through. But keep in the back of your head - they really do think and, more importantly, *WANT* to do the job they believe they are there to do - Protect the Public.

Just look at the blatant passion and fervor people are displaying over the release of the Q - its a camera for gawds sake.
Now imagine your job was potentially - dealing with person or persons bent on causing disruption, chaos and even death. Every Damn Day. I'm not saying it makes it always right by any means... But we all too often judge people in these positions as being 'over-zealous'... when we are not the ones dealing with 1000's of people, all whom think they are better than the TSA staff, or being told at your morning "team meeting" that they suspect another underpants bomber through so be extra vigilant...

Take a quote in that article:
QuoteOriginally posted by JohnInIndy Quote
When asked what type of threat she believed her mom posed Weber said "I can't think of anything, I really can't."
Of COURSE the Daughter saw nothing threatening. I'm not saying she was - But come on... thats like asking a dictator if they think they are a good bloke... of course they are going to answer in the positive !

So next time your about to complain about the grumpy Security staff - stop and think how their day was probably. And the day before that. And how you would cope being in a deliberate position where in order for you to ultimately be seen to be 'effective and purposeful' in your role, it means something else must have gone horribly wrong.

And before we all say "well, they chose that job!" - I personally commend them for it - because at least they are out there doing something, rather than simply providing commentary from an Ivory Tower....

Just remember - News articles are attractive sound-bites designed to get you to ideally spit your cornflakes out in disgust and rally against/for said cause... Unbiased Fact is a thing of the past - Surveys have shown it just doesn't Rate well with Nielsen... ... My ex-patriot knows this all too well and makes it a specialty to polarize communities - I mean provide 'expert commentary'

Last edited by adr1an; 06-27-2011 at 07:18 PM.
06-27-2011, 06:57 PM   #18
K-9
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I mean, did they think she was really a 35-year-old guy in disguise or something? Not sure what security risk she posed other than maybe thinking someone else with her may have stashed something in there?
06-27-2011, 07:03 PM   #19
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by K-9 Quote
I mean, did they think she was really a 35-year-old guy in disguise or something? Not sure what security risk she posed other than maybe thinking someone else with her may have stashed something in there?
Well we don't actually know do we ? and thats sort of the point I was making (in part). Yes, they could probably go a long way to explaining why they did what they did - But the world of operational security is a complex one. And easily misunderstood. Especially when reported with emotion rather than fact.

Either way - Sure as dickens - we've all spat our cornflakes out in disgust haven't we ??

06-28-2011, 06:03 AM   #20
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
That was what I asked when W said they were going to be made Federal employees. The implication being that the private sector couldn't be trusted to do the job effectively.
I think that was a question of control. Whether it is a private contractor or public paycheck, if the government sets standards that call for 90 year olds to be patted down, that is going to happen.
06-28-2011, 06:07 AM   #21
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by GeneV Quote
I think that was a question of control. Whether it is a private contractor or public paycheck, if the government sets standards that call for 90 year olds to be patted down, that is going to happen.
Exactly, and that brings us to my statement "Whether we are safer or not depends on a person's personal definition of what terrorism and terrorist is."
The gummint has the control either way, so what was the purpose in eliminating thousands of private sector jobs?

Last edited by Parallax; 06-28-2011 at 06:54 AM.
06-28-2011, 07:09 AM   #22
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

There are two primary ways for a government to achieve absolute dictatorial control; force and fear.
Making the people fear the government itself often, as we are seeing in the Middle East, backfires horribly, and is not practical method for a democratic government anyway.
Option 2 off of the fear menu is to make the people so fearful of something else that they will overlook anything the government does if it is perceived that it is being done in the name of protecting them from whatever the stated threat is. Enter stage right: "The Patriot Act"

06-28-2011, 08:02 AM   #23
Banned

The gummint has the control either way,
no they don't, we do. and thats the problem. we continue to let ourselves be victims of what I certainly consider to be well above what is necessary for our 'safety' and we let it happen at our own expense. I just got back from a trip to the philippines and after experiencing both japanese and philippine airport security I was just angry and ashamed at the TSA and not only how ridiculous our 'security' screening is, but how they basically treat you like cattle and herd you along while barking orders like you are in a prison. is pathetic and does nothing in my opinion to curb any real threat. so why do we continue to take it and then just complain like that does any good?
06-28-2011, 09:04 AM   #24
Veteran Member

Apropos our current board, there are areas where our TSA is more friendly than in other countries. My local TSA will hand-inspect my film, rather than running it through the X-Ray. Not so in Europe or the UK. The agents at Heathrow were quite adamant.
06-28-2011, 09:04 AM   #25
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by séamuis Quote
no they don't, we do. and thats the problem. we continue to let ourselves be victims...............
The basic premise there is correct, but I don't think we actually have control anymore. We have the ability to take control back at the voting booth if people can see through the smoke screens being put up by both sides, and vote accordingly.
06-28-2011, 09:44 AM   #26
Banned

The basic premise there is correct, but I don't think we actually have control anymore. We have the ability to take control back at the voting booth if people can see through the smoke screens being put up by both sides, and vote accordingly.
or revolution. thats always an option. the sad part though is that your are pretty much right. I really despise the TSA and their methods, and I think its so foolish to constantly complain and have to read about mistreatment and the like, while we continue to pay the paychecks to the people that are doing it. while we continue to allow our government to force 'safety' on us out of our pockets when we clearly dint want the type of 'safety' being forced upon us. there was a big incident here in savannah recently about TSA mistreatment and general idiotic behavior when checking people departing from a train...
06-28-2011, 10:51 PM   #27
Site Supporter

Look at it this way.
The insurance companies DEMAND safe airliners. They have lobbyists you know
Shoe bombs?
Underpants bombs?
You really didn't expect them to pay the money to make 'em safe did you?
To get around it, just buy a Gulfstream.

All I can say is, I hope they are keeping the press away from that woman and her family.

Last edited by shooz; 06-28-2011 at 11:08 PM.
06-28-2011, 11:24 PM   #28
Veteran Member

Is it fair to draw a parallel to U.S. military railroad that was established in civilwar
and TSA?. One huge difference was the suspension of Habeous Corpus.That enity
answered to no one.Handeled its own security,summarily at times,and yet
to this day there's little history.Obviously,I cant condone full body cavity search
of 96 year old human being.Seeing these 2 pictures is at least a foundation
for understanding outrageous over-reaction by TSA.
Chinese chap that 'turned up'
left-Before
right-After
Attached Images

Last edited by BillM; 06-28-2011 at 11:38 PM.
06-28-2011, 11:30 PM   #29
Veteran Member

Good pics Bill. Might help explain a bit more what I said above.. Operational Security is a complex beast and easily misunderstood and misrepresented without knowing the facts... which in a cruel catch-22 are often not disclosed for obvious reasons.
06-28-2011, 11:59 PM   #30
Veteran Member

Good point Adrian,if I might indulge,as hard and harsh as it may appear....
"outraegous overreaction by media".
Those people need to stick to something they can handel.Kardasian chicks,
Charlie Sheen, etc.